• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Say Something Conciliatory to the “Other Side”

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I favor a single payer health care system (with a private option).
To everyone I've offended....you are poopyheads.
And for all my friends....you're poopyheads too.
I've never had any particular object to a private option in health care -- although Canada does not presently allow it. (Of course, anyone who can afford it has the private option anyway -- they just fly to their favourite US doctor and pay her for her services.)

I've no particular objection to being a poopyhead, either. I've been called worse. :cool:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
OK

Tell me if this opinion of mine is liberal or conservative.

Much of my Irish ancestors were mostly no 'count Papists. No skills. A fair number probably had some disease. They were trying to escape the disaster that was Christian ruled Ireland, in the latter part of the 19th century. But they got here.
The first couple of generations were mainly noted for livestock rustling and horse thievery.

By the 40s, they were mostly "poor but proud" Illinois farmers. They'd survived The Depression.
By my parents generation, Irish people had become white. Took awhile, generations, but it happened. My dad fought WWII, survived, came home, fully exploited the GI bill to get a college degree, then got married and started a family.

I'm a hardcore believer in "USA! Nation of Immigrants!".
Bring in all those people who despise wherever they were born. Give them a job and the opportunity to improve themselves and especially improve things for their children.

THAT'S WHAT MADE AMERICA GREAT

I do not think that walling out people is American, much less conservative. It's anti-Christian, anti-American progressive nonsense.

But for some reason, Trump supporters don't think I'm a conservative.

What's with that? I'm advocating the Christian, American, Way of doing things. But, somehow, a philandering billionaire with ties to Russia has become the "conservative" leader?!?!

Tom

On board with all of this, except you think it's progressive to "wall out people?" How so?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
On board with all of this, except you think it's progressive to "wall out people?" How so?
Because we didn't do that before. Now we do. It's a new and different attitude of American people, assuming that "Fortress America" will create progress.

Conservatism is believing that the way we used to do things should be maintained. Progressivism is advocating big changes for the sake of progress.

Trump is a progressive. Hillary was a conservative.
Tom

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Because we didn't do that before. Now we do. It's a new and different attitude of American people, assuming that "Fortress America" will create progress.

Conservatism is believing that the way we used to do things should be maintained. Progressivism is advocating big changes for the sake of progress.

Trump is a progressive. Hillary was a conservative.
Tom

That is a very one-dimensional definition. Conservatives advocate changes (in terms of public policy) all the time. Also, America has a long history of anti-immigrant sentiment and policy. Your own family's history is evidence of that.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Conservatives advocate changes (in terms of public policy) all the time.
Advocacy for new and different policies is what I mean by progressive.

Yes, there has always been a solid conservative element in the USA. WASP immigrants were welcome, Papists and such not so much. But over the last century or so, "The Nation of Immigrants" became a thing.
Now Trump and his base want that to go away, for progress.

That's what I'm talking about.
Tom

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Advocacy for new and different policies is what I mean by progressive.

Yes, there has always been a solid conservative element in the USA. WASP immigrants were welcome, Papists and such not so much. But over the last century or so, "The Nation of Immigrants" became a thing.
Now Trump and his base want that to go away, for progress.

That's what I'm talking about.
Tom

Progressives don't just advocate for any change for the sake of change, and conservatives don't just resist change because they dislike improving society. Progressives advocates for particular kinds of change to improve society, and conservatives oppose those changes. That's what makes them progressive and conservative. Openness to immigrants has consistently been a hallmark of progressives, and opposition to (new) immigrants has consistently been a hallmark of conservatives.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I'm basically an Independent, I just want to say don't worry, I fully expect some of you to wise up at some point.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I'm basically an Independent, I just want to say don't worry, I fully expect some of you to wise up at some point.

By Independent do you mean not a member of any political party, or a member of the American Independent Party?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
By Independent do you mean not a member of any political party, or a member of the American Independent Party?
The former for the most part, although I voted for the green party candidate last Prez election.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where did you move to?

We retired and expatriated to Mexico in mid-2009. We live a mile up in the Sierra Nevadas on a mountain lake in a community that has a large American and Canadian expat community. This is my pueblo and what life looks like here:

upload_2020-2-10_15-15-46.jpeg
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Shadow Link

Whichever side of the political spectrum you are on, what are some things you will admit or concede to the other side?

What are some things we can ALL agree on? Could we all agree, for example, that polarization has gotten out of hand, and we need better ways of having political debates?

I would like to challenge all of us to really dig deep, and identify places where we agree, or are willing to acknowledge the other side has a good point even if we don’t fully agree.

I wish we could have more productive political debates. By that I mean, a debate where it is possible for one person to actually persuade another. Those are too rare these days. But they are the most enjoyable discussions.
Hey, whatever makes any candidate representing their party seem more bigly to their base is fine with me — promises, electability, wealth, small pedestals, etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Whichever side of the political spectrum you are on, what are some things you will admit or concede to the other side?

What are some things we can ALL agree on? Could we all agree, for example, that polarization has gotten out of hand, and we need better ways of having political debates?

I would like to challenge all of us to really dig deep, and identify places where we agree, or are willing to acknowledge the other side has a good point even if we don’t fully agree.

I wish we could have more productive political debates. By that I mean, a debate where it is possible for one person to actually persuade another. Those are too rare these days. But they are the most enjoyable discussions.
Okay I'm game.

I really really like many of the ideas that the left has. Especially when it concerns the humanities such as equality and opportunity. Taking care of those less fortunate and helping those in need. and providing a livable and even enjoyable environment overall for people.

Most of my ire comes from how things get implemented. Primarily when it comes to compulsory programs for which I would be a heck of a lot less harder of my criticisms of the left if they only have more incentive based programs to achieve their goals rather than strong arming everybody through the enablement of the nanny state.

I also think the left are loads more fun to talk to. I'd much rather have a few beers with Obama than a few beers with Trump.

There ya go!