• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saudi Arabian Football Team refuses to hold a minute's silence for London terror victims

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Saudi players refused to join Australia in a minute's silence for London attack victims as it was "not in their culture" to do so

"Hi can you just stand still and say nothing for 1 minute out of respect for some innocent people who got killed?"

No, sorry our culture dictates we must overtly show our arrogance and ignorance by disrespecting the country hosting us at all times.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Any other sources for this? It wouldn't be the first the Guardian has misrepresented something to give it an anti-Muslim bias if they don't have their facts straight on this story.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The Guardian and an anti-Muslim bias?

lol wtf
I know, really. Like here in Canada where the media is literally slobbering all over itself to paint Muslims and Islam in a positive light. This is so to such an extent that anyone who claims otherwise is instantly criticized and branded racist, Islamophobic and generally stupid.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
New The Guardian and an anti-Muslim bias?
It's been long enough when I looked for examples, Informer, Independent, I realized I couldn't remember actually where the specific article I was thinking of, and didn't really care enough to search further.
But I looked the story up. I wonder what they'd think if we just stopped inviting them to everything?

Flankerl

It's been long enough when I looked for examples, Informer, Independent, I realized I couldn't remember actually where the specific article I was thinking of, and didn't really care enough to search further.
But I looked the story up. I wonder what they'd think if we just stopped inviting them to everything?

k5bdyzme.jpg

I beg you pardon?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No use in sugar-coating anything. Has anyone woken up to the facts regarding the Saudis as not being a very nice country?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
k5bdyzme.jpg

I beg you pardon?
Basically, there are numerous crap sources out there. I was thinking the Guardian was were I read one such article. I tried to find this article, but then realized it may have not come from the Guardian. Maybe it was the Sun? I don't remember, nor really care enough.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Any other sources for this? It wouldn't be the first the Guardian has misrepresented something to give it an anti-Muslim bias if they don't have their facts straight on this story.
They showed footage of the match and even commented that a domestic Saudi team observed a minute silence with their opponents in a separate match. Also there was literal instant Twitter response from fans when it happened. I don't even follow Soccer nor do I have a Twitter account and even I heard about it on social media. If they took this out of context, it would have been quite the world wide participation.
But okay, what about the Advertiser, a Newspaper that is native to Adelaide, as the incident did actually happen there.
No Cookies | The Advertiser

Or this story
Saudi Soccer Team Refuse To Observe Minute's Silence For London Terror Attack Victims | Zero Hedge

Or how about this story where they made an official apology?!
Saudi Soccer Apologises For Failing To Acknowledge Minute's Silence For London Terror Victims

Now I do agree that we should be careful not to jump to conclusions, be skeptical of news sources and the outrage is a bit over the top (like Dave "Hughsey" Hughs an Australian comedian and minor celeb calling for their ban as a punishment.) But this at least does seem like a pretty cut and dry case of a Saudi team, for whatever reason, did not fully comply with a minute's silence. Which is usually seen as disrespectful. Whatever the reason, it was at the very least a social faux pa on their heads. And as they were being hosted, it's common decency to observe to customs of the place you're in. They were told in advance, this is not like they didn't have a chance to say, okay, guys just stand still in a line for a minute because it's thought to be respectful for x reason. That takes no more than 30 seconds and could have saved all this drama.

Last edited: