• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saucy

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Rare isn't "raw" and is safe as long as it isn't ground (the process exposes it to more bacteria) and reaches the right temp for the right time. And tastless? It's far more tender, juicy, and flavorful than well done steak. Doesn't even have to be rare. Medium is fine.... but to each their own.

Blasphemer.

You mean my steak tartare isn't healthy???

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In my uncouth years my comment when asked "how would you like you steak cooked madam"
Was
"Wipe its ***, show it the pan and serve it"
I used to hear that British people liked their steaks ruined, in other words well done. My housemate drives me nuts because I have to cook her steaks far too much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rare isn't "raw" and is safe as long as it isn't ground (the process exposes it to more bacteria) and reaches the right temp for the right time. And tastless? It's far more tender, juicy, and flavorful than well done steak. Doesn't even have to be rare. Medium is fine.... but to each their own.

Blasphemer.
Years ago, I had undercooked beef.
The lack of taste was creepy.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's the other way round here, supermarkets, beside being stuffed with French foods also have isles for Chinese, Indian, Thai, Italian, Mexican and British foods but no American.
Same with restaurants although there are burger bars in the bigger towns, burgers being the take on American food.
Most American food is rooted elsewhere, anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You mean my steak tartare isn't healthy???
It should be okay if you have a decent butcher. I do try to kill any surface germs since our butchers are sometimes more concerned with quality than quantity. Carelessness is what causes the occasional outbreaks of E. coli poisoning here.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Been there & done that.
Well done for me.
Then you might as well eat a burger. A well done steak is often not that different from shoe leather. If it is creepy crawlies that scare you there is an option. You can cook your steaks Sous Vide. You can even do a rare steak, well make that a rare medium rare steak. Just cook it for three or four hours at 131 F and it will be pastuerized:

Sous Vide Cooking Times by Thickness

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I used to hear that British people liked their steaks ruined, in other words well done. My housemate drives me nuts because I have to cook her steaks far too much.

I don't know anyone who has burned steak, medium is the maximum burntness i know of. Ive never had to cook anyone's steak for more than two and a half minutes a side