• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saucy

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I like mine seasoned with ground black and red pepper and drizzled with worcestershire sauce. Topped with mushrooms sautéed in butter and garlic.

I sometimes coat the steak in cracked black pepper, both sides before cooking. I don't grind it except at the table. I think cracking releases the flavour better than grinding and is much quicker for the quantity i use.

I use worcestershire sauce for a chicken marinade, and sometimes in salad dressing but not on steak.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I have recently been involved in a discussion with @Sunstone regarding the role Alexis de Tocqueville has played in directing American cuisine.
And now a French classic with a ChristineM twist
Finely chop a couple of small mushrooms and part cook. Pour a cup of double cream into a pan over a low heat, add the mushrooms and a tablespoon of tarragon. Warm untill not quite boiling. Again if it's too thick for your taste add a little milk, if it's not thick a teaspoon of corn flour will do the trick.Serve with fish..............​

Years ago I remember someone who made a yummy mushroom sauce and your's sounds wonderful.
I am wondering if you also have a second choice other than tarragon.
I once used it with fish and found it too strong, that's my concern, so if i find it too strong to my liking if you have a second choice I'd like to know.
Thanks for posting your sauces.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Years ago I remember someone who made a yummy mushroom sauce and your's sounds wonderful.
I am wondering if you also have a second choice other than tarragon.
I once used it with fish and found it too strong, that's my concern, so if i find it too strong to my liking if you have a second choice I'd like to know.
Thanks for posting your sauces.

Tarragon can be strong, try with half the amount recommended in the recipe to keep the flavour.

Or use dill, basil or/and marjoram either on their own or combined to taste. You don't get the anased flavour but it will be quite nice with fish

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
What!? They don't have fine dining in France? It is pretty hard to beat some good old fashioned Tex-Mex. Oooh! A new business opportunity. Exporting Taco Trucks to France.

May work and make a profit. The new trend that's becoming more and more popular is american style fast food restaurants. Not seen a taco place though.

The idea seems odd to to me, i was in Paris when the first McDonalds opened, and two beef farmers drove tractors towing trailers of cow dung through the streets then ceremonially tipped them in each of the doorways to the new shop.

Returned 4 years later, the burger restaurant was still open and i was shocked to see, crowded. We did eat in the newly opened hard rock cafe.

Now just about every town with more than 10000 inhabitants has at least one burger bar.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never heard of it, the bottled chilli sauces all seem to be of Chinese origin.
We have a plethora of those.
I like the fermented chili & black bean
sauce on guo tie, baozi, & other dumplings.
Revoltistan is gifted with fabulous variety..
...except for French fare. The few such
restaurants are too spendy to even try.

ChristineM

Premium Member
We have a plethora of those.
I like the fermented chili & black bean
sauce on guo tie, baozi, & other dumplings.
Revoltistan is gifted with fabulous variety..
...except for French fare. The few such
restaurants are too spendy to even try.

It's the other way round here, supermarkets, beside being stuffed with French foods also have isles for Chinese, Indian, Thai, Italian, Mexican and British foods but no American.
Same with restaurants although there are burger bars in the bigger towns, burgers being the take on American food.

ChristineM

Premium Member
A steak is cooked long enough when it's been properly introduced to a (very hot) grill.
"Grill, meet steak, Steak, meet grill." Done.

In my uncouth years my comment when asked "how would you like you steak cooked madam"
Was
"Wipe its ***, show it the pan and serve it"

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Raw meat is disgusting, dangerous, & tasteless.
Rare isn't "raw" and is safe as long as it isn't ground (the process exposes it to more bacteria) and reaches the right temp for the right time. And tastless? It's far more tender, juicy, and flavorful than well done steak. Doesn't even have to be rare. Medium is fine.... but to each their own.

Blasphemer.