• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saturns Rings are "Young" (Astronomically Speaking)

Laika

Premium Member
Based on observations by the Cassini Spacecraft, reported at a meeting of the American Geological Union, shows that Saturn's rings are only 150-300 million years old. If an astronomer had been around during the time of the dinosaurs, they probably would seen them. Two lines of evidence indicate that the rings are not as old as our solar system 4.5 billion years; the mass of the rings and measuring the size of small particles (micrometeorites).

Theories as to how Saturn's rings developed involve them being the result of debris from an asteroid or a comet, or that the orbit of Saturn's moons somehow shifted and in a "gravitational tug of war" pulled a moon apart.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...dition-solar-system-cassini-observations-show

Photos from Cassini here: Cassini Legacy: 1997-2017

11412_thumbs_in_saturns_shadow.jpg

Any Thoughts?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I did not know they were so young. It's wonderful that humanity at this present time has the opportunity to marvel at Saturn's rings. :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Going by the article they are basing the age of the rings on the size of the particles. This must be based on simulations, because what else do they have to compare against?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Based on observations by the Cassini Spacecraft, reported at a meeting of the American Geological Union, shows that Saturn's rings are only 150-300 million years old. If an astronomer had been around during the time of the dinosaurs, they probably would seen them. Two lines of evidence indicate that the rings are not as old as our solar system 4.5 billion years; the mass of the rings and measuring the size of small particles (micrometeorites).

Theories as to how Saturn's rings developed involve them being the result of debris from an asteroid or a comet, or that the orbit of Saturn's moons somehow shifted and in a "gravitational tug of war" pulled a moon apart.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...dition-solar-system-cassini-observations-show

Photos from Cassini here: Cassini Legacy: 1997-2017

11412_thumbs_in_saturns_shadow.jpg

Any Thoughts?
Only way to know for sure is to grab some actual samples.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess we would have a hard time proving them wrong.
It could be verified or shown otherwise by computer modeling of the system.
That could establish how stable rings are.

Edit
Just noticed that I'm merely echoing Bricky.
Great minds think alike, eh!

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It could be verified or shown otherwise by computer modeling of the system.
That could establish how stable rings are.

Edit
Just noticed that I'm merely echoing Bricky.
Great minds think alike, eh!

They can model just about anything on the computer.... A computer model made from incomplete or fraudulent data is as worthless as climate change computer modeling.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
They can model just about anything on the computer.... A computer model made from incomplete or fraudulent data is as worthless as climate change computer modeling.

We know enough about Newtonian dynamics to models these things quite well (much better than we understand, for example, the contribution of ice crystals to reflectivity in our atmosphere). And we *do* have other ring systems to compare with: Uranus and Neptune have such. They are not as dramatic as Saturn's, but they are still there and can be studied.

So, you are correct about your general statement concerning computer programs, but the extent to which we understand orbital mechanics shows it to not be a concern in this situation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One can mischievously presume fraud in anything.
But that leads nowhere useful.

Computer modeling can offer great insight into behavior of complex systems.
It's most appropriate for analyzing n-body systems like planetary rings.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
One can mischievously presume fraud in anything.
But that leads nowhere useful.

Computer modeling can offer great insight into behavior of complex systems.
It's most appropriate for analyzing n-body systems like planetary rings.

Oh. I am supposed to have "Faith" in science? If I am skeptical of the reliability of the computer models I am presuming fraud? They make a lot of assumptions about other rings and apply their assumptions to Saturns rings the findings are still based on assumptions.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh. I am supposed to have "Faith" in science? If I am skeptical of the reliability of the computer models I am presuming fraud? They make a lot of assumptions about other rings and apply their assumptions to Saturns rings the findings are still based on assumptions.

Being skeptical is a good thing. So, have you looked into the details of how this was done? Have you looked into the details of the assumptions made? Or are you just dismissing this because it doesn't fit with your world view?

Orbital mechanics like this is well understood. The only real issue is whether they had a grid large enough to give valid results. Past that, the results are secure.

The rings are 'young', meaning they aren't as old as the solar system as a whole. But they were around when the dinosaurs were.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't propose that.
But since you asked, I would recommend learning about how computer simulations
are done, & what they're capable of. The techniques are used to solve very complex
problems arising in designing things in your life,, eg, cars, airplanes, bridges, ships.

Ok we have a 1969 mustang. How do we know it's from 1969. #1, people were around when it was created. #2 the number 1969 on the front of it. I do believe it is a 1969 mustang in the photo.

mump-1105-01-o+1969-ford-mustang-boss-429-restoration+passenger-side-front-view

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ok we have a 1969 mustang. How do we know it's from 1969. #1, people were around when it was created. #2 the number 1969 on the front of it. I do believe it is a 1969 mustang in the photo.

mump-1105-01-o+1969-ford-mustang-boss-429-restoration+passenger-side-front-view
I don't understand what you're getting at here.
Did you work at Ford?
Or is this about engineering technology?

Btw, computer modeling was used far far less in the 60s because computing power was so limited.
Things sure have changed.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't understand what you're getting at here.

Btw, computer modeling was used far far less in the 60s because computing power was so limited.
Things sure have changed.

Yes, they have. But they made a nice car before computer modeling.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, they have. But they made a nice car before computer modeling.
It seems that you're arguing for or against something, but I don't know what.
When I worked in the auto industry back in the day, we didn't use computers
much. (Even CAD was still in its infancy, & was cumbersome. Tried it...hated it.)
But these days, design work is cheaper, better & faster because of computing
power advancements.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It seems that you're arguing for or against something, but I don't know what.
When I worked in the auto industry back in the day, we didn't use computers
much. (Even CAD was still in its infancy, & was cumbersome. Tried it...hated it.)
But these days, design work is cheaper, better & faster because of computing
power advancements.

Yes you don't get where im going because there is no comparison to designing cars vs dating the rings of Saturn as 150 million years old. They could just as well pull a number out of a hat...what's the difference?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes you don't get where im going because there is no comparison to designing cars vs dating the rings of Saturn as 150 million years old. They could just as well pull a number out of a hat...what's the difference?
Designing cars these days involves modeling dynamic stress & strain of components
using finite element analysis. This is very complex, requiring a lot of computing power.
The n-body problem of planetary rings is comparable.
So if numbers aren't just pulled out of a hat in designing the crumple mode of a
vehicle structure, then the same can be done for analyzing how rings form & behave.
This would illuminate their origins & behavior over time.

Suppose various models & assumptions show that rings survive for 100-500 million
years. This would point towards Saturn's rings being relatively young. But if the
models show stability of a few billion years, now we're looking at the possibility of
their forming along with the solar system. The models could also show how ring
structure would change over time.

This approach would likely offer a much better understanding of rings than actually
going there & getting samples. And computer simulation is bargain priced.

It appears that you're dedicated to saying computer analysis is inherently fraudulent.
I've no argument to dissuade you.
But you might watch to see if researchers in different countries arrive at similar conclusions.
Do you have any familiarity with using computers to solve complex problems?

Last edited:

HonestJoe

Breaking News: Pluto’s campaign to be re-elected as a major planet in trouble after allegations of an inappropriate relationship with one of Saturn’s rings. “She told me she was over 400 million!” ;)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Oh my!! And you have evidence that the data for climate modeling is not complete enough to create a working model? You should start a thread where you make this stunning evidence public.