• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satirical comment on RFs favorite controversial topic

Bathos Logos

Wanted to put this in the joke section, but I felt it was too serious for that.

A Day in the Life of an Over-Educated, Under-Loved Pro-choice Woman
Funny and I liked it. My only criticism of it is that, with the satirical nature of the abortion bit of it, it's hard to tell what is and isn't true about this person within the write-up. Does she have multiple university school experiences? Multiple degrees? World travel experience? Does she value human and animal life and is she vegetarian as she seems to imply? The only thing at the end she lets on was part of the satirical ruse was the daily abortions bit - so one might even ponder whether she actually does drink a bottle of vodka a day. Vodka is vegetarian after all.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Funny and I liked it. My only criticism of it is that, with the satirical nature of the abortion bit of it, it's hard to tell what is and isn't true about this person within the write-up. Does she have multiple university school experiences? Multiple degrees? World travel experience? Does she value human and animal life and is she vegetarian as she seems to imply? The only thing at the end she lets on was part of the satirical ruse was the daily abortions bit - so one might even ponder whether she actually does drink a bottle of vodka a day. Vodka is vegetarian after all.
Well yes, isn't that the point? Can you make these sorts of assumptions about a pro-choice person?

Bathos Logos

Well yes, isn't that the point? Can you make these sorts of assumptions about a pro-choice person?
No, but if, in the end, she wants the reader to see that she actually is not the stereotype that some are making her out to be, then she has done nearly nothing to make sure that point is brought home. Just a set of plausible truths/untruths in a soup of (what one is left to assume are) purposeful untruths. Credibility is lacking in the parts that I believe (and I have to admit to only having this as belief - as there is no actual evidence otherwise) that she is trying to actually portray as real, and therefore as real breaks from any stereotyping. Again - the only thing she denies at the end is that she gets abortions every day. Can we really assume then that the entire first portion is untrue? All satire? It is unclear.

She may actually be the stereotype to a "T" and just not have abortions everyday. And what does this do to break up the stereotype itself? Nothing. The stereotype didn't even include that the person has abortions everyday. Just that they are "pro-choice."

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, but if, in the end, she wants the reader to see that she actually is not the stereotype that some are making her out to be, then she has done nearly nothing to make sure that point is brought home. Just a set of plausible truths/untruths in a soup of (what one is left to assume are) purposeful untruths. Credibility is lacking in the parts that I believe (and I have to admit to only having this as belief - as there is no actual evidence otherwise) that she is trying to actually portray as real, and therefore as real breaks from any stereotyping. Again - the only thing she denies at the end is that she gets abortions every day. Can we really assume then that the entire first portion is untrue? All satire? It is unclear.

She may actually be the stereotype to a "T" and just not have abortions everyday. And what does this do to break up the stereotype itself? Nothing. The stereotype didn't even include that the person has abortions everyday. Just that they are "pro-choice."

So she starts by claiming something apparently ridiculos and the rest is real? Is that it?

I don't see any issues with that woman... but surely her microwave food must be under scrutiny... ha ha ha ha

(sorry, you should put your topic in the joke section)

Bathos Logos

So she starts by claiming something apparently ridiculos and the rest is real? Is that it?
When taken at face value, the issues become apparent. Try this:

Someone says (and literally did say): "You're like all pro-choicers - over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches"
Reply: "Obviously I don't have abortions every day."

That is a non-sequitur. So what was the real point made? Is it in there in all of the possible truths that we're left to assume aren't truths - if we're expected to feel that many depart from the stereotype, that is, which isn't even entirely clear. And, in fact, she starts out claiming that she was surprised herself to realize that she fit the stereotype very well. Also satire/untrue? I can't tell. That's what I am saying also - it is entirely inconsistent in what is true and what isn't. And then in the end, what? We're supposed to assume she's being serious about the things she seems she would like us to take seriously about abortion?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
When taken at face value, the issues become apparent. Try this:

Someone says (and literally did say): "You're like all pro-choicers - over-educated, under-loved millennials who sadly return from protests to a lonely microwave dinner with their cats, and no bumble matches"
Reply: "Obviously I don't have abortions every day."

That is a non-sequitur. So what was the real point made? Is it in there in all of the possible truths that we're left to assume aren't truths - if we're expected to feel that many depart from the stereotype, that is, which isn't even entirely clear. And, in fact, she starts out claiming that she was surprised herself to realize that she fit the stereotype very well. Also satire/untrue? I can't tell. That's what I am saying also - it is entirely inconsistent in what is true and what isn't. And then in the end, what? We're supposed to assume she's being serious about the things she seems she would like us to take seriously about abortion?
She's happier being an over-educated under-loved millennial woman with a cat than this alternative:

It’s indeed hard to be an over-educated, under-loved pro-choice Millenial woman with a cat.

So sometimes, I do allow myself just to let it all out. And cry over a bucket of ice cream while drinking the remaining half of the bottle of vodka I opened at lunchtime and wonder how different my life could be today if I weren’t brainwashed with all that female empowerment crap so early on.

To think that I could’ve been married at a ripe age of 18, have at least ten kids by now — not by choice, of course — and have just found out that my current pregnancy will kill me if I won’t have an abortion, which obviously I won’t because my husband doesn’t like them.

Oh, well.​

Bathos Logos

She's happier being an over-educated under-loved millennial woman with a cat
Is she this though? Is her admission to fitting the stereotype "truth?" I ultimately can't tell, and that's part of my problem with it.

It’s indeed hard to be an over-educated, under-loved pro-choice Millenial woman with a cat.
Okay, perfect example you've given here... let's say, for the sake of argument, that the above represents the reality of her life. That is, that she is an "over-educated, under-loved pro-choice Millenial woman with a cat", then her very next sentence:

So sometimes, I do allow myself just to let it all out. And cry over a bucket of ice cream while drinking the remaining half of the bottle of vodka I opened at lunchtime and wonder how different my life could be today if I weren’t brainwashed with all that female empowerment crap so early on.
Is also true of her behaviors, or no? She drinks half a bottle of vodka for lunch? Yes? No? Sometimes?

To think that I could’ve been married at a ripe age of 18, have at least ten kids by now — not by choice, of course — and have just found out that my current pregnancy will kill me if I won’t have an abortion, which obviously I won’t because my husband doesn’t like them.

Oh, well.
I do get this part, believe me. This isn't her life, but could have been, and she is sarcastically stating that she "missed out" on this "opportunity." That part was clear. The other stuff, not so much, honestly.

crossfire

Premium Member
Is she this though? Is her admission to fitting the stereotype "truth?" I ultimately can't tell, and that's part of my problem with it.

Okay, perfect example you've given here... let's say, for the sake of argument, that the above represents the reality of her life. That is, that she is an "over-educated, under-loved pro-choice Millenial woman with a cat", then her very next sentence:

Is also true of her behaviors, or no? She drinks half a bottle of vodka for lunch? Yes? No? Sometimes?

Does it really matter if you understand the following part?
I do get this part, believe me. This isn't her life, but could have been, and she is sarcastically stating that she "missed out" on this "opportunity." That part was clear. The other stuff, not so much, honestly.
Does the rest of the stuff really matter in regards to her pro-choice stance?

Bathos Logos

Does it really matter if you understand the following part?

Does the rest of the stuff really matter in regards to her pro-choice stance?
One might question the choice-making priorities of a person who drinks half a bottle of vodka each day for lunch. Or one who can't keep satire and reality entirely organized within a piece of literature proposed to make a statement about something it seems they would like us to believe they deem extremely important, for that matter.

crossfire

Premium Member
One might question the choice-making priorities of a person who drinks half a bottle of vodka each day for lunch. Or one who can't keep satire and reality entirely organized within a piece of literature proposed to make a statement about something it seems they would like us to believe they deem extremely important, for that matter.
Would forcing this person to become a mother against her will be a good idea?

Bathos Logos

Would forcing this person to become a mother against her will be a good idea?
Not in my opinion, no. But that isn't what I am advocating in the slightest. My worry is only for the presentation this might make to those who do advocate that position. Excuses they might use to ignore what is said in this article, wholesale. Can we know if she drinks a bottle of vodka a day? Might someone see that as a reason to discount this opinion piece from a person who does so? Might it be easier to do so being unsure if this person even knows, or cares about the distinction between reality and fiction?

The main point and question is, who said that one must be educated in order to know when a crime is committed?

One sees how the blood of a dead innocent human being drops on the floor by cause of a lancet... that is a crime.

After that, the personal decisions about the crime can be discussed, but that crime is a crime.

crossfire

Premium Member
The main point and question is, who said that one must be educated in order to know when a crime is committed?

One sees how the blood of a dead innocent human being drops on the floor by cause of a lancet... that is a crime.

After that, the personal decisions about the crime can be discussed, but that crime is a crime.
Having an abortion is not a crime.