• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanists to counter Nativity scene with ‘snaketivity’

Skwim

Veteran Member

LANSING, Mich. — To counter a live Nativity scene planned next weekend on the Michigan state Capitol lawn, a Satanic group plans to resurrect its own “snaketivity” display begun last year.

satanicdisplayandnativity.png

A Nativity scene that Sen. Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign is planning will happen the evenings of Dec. 12 and 13.

The Satanic Temple of Detroit is awaiting approval from the Michigan State Capitol Commission to perform its own live display Dec. 19, Jex Blackmore, the temple’s director, said at a religious liberty rally Wednesday. State Sen. Rick Jones, a Republican from Grand Ledge, Mich., plans to sponsor another Nativity display the same day.

“The overriding message in our holiday display, and many of the Satanic Temple’s public activities, is one of plurality and religious liberty,” Blackmore said in a written statement. “We have no interest in proselytizing Satanism to the public. However, we refuse to allow one religious perspective (to) dominate the discourse.”
source
Thoughts?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It would seem less cheesy if it had some real significance, substance, seasonal relevance, etc. to it.
Well, to be fair, the message is pretty clear (it literally spells it out) and it is symbolised by the snake - presumably a reference to the Biblical Satan in the garden of Eden and the role he played in mankind's taking of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil. So it could be argued it at least has some substance to it.

Personally, I would have gone with a less ugly design, though. Maybe try and go for a real apeing of the nativity style and have a diorama of a cherubic snake offering the apple to Adam and Eve or something. But I guess shock factor goes a long way with these kinds of stunts. Still, I suspect they'd probably have gotten the desired result either way.

prometheus11

I like your idea, immortal. Cleverness goes a long way. Apeing the holy family would create as much of a stir and make a clearer connection.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The snake one, as if you couldn't tell. (That's the one I'm referring to, obviously.)
Not really as the nativity portrays giants. Artistically they both have much room for improvement.
Are the Satanic Temple generally frowned upon in the more "seriously" LHP community?
Generally, yes, but I have suspicions that it's more jealousy than anything since the Satanic Temple has the balls to be vocal and very open about their stances, unlike the Church of Satan which tends to hide in the shadows.

vaguelyhumanoid

It's actually nice to see a group accomplish something meaningful. As far as Satanism goes they're doing it rather well. It nauseates me that the idea of not allowing states to favor one religion is seen as childish.

Yeah, I can appreciate a lot of their pranks like the coloring book. In my eyes they're basically secular humanists who like Satanic imagery. They are sseriously sslipping with this sstupid-looking ssnake tho. Definitely fallen off in terms of aesthetic quality compared to the Baphomet statues they used to pull.