• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanist leads prayer at city council meeting

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Freedom of religion is not limitless in the United States.
If there is a religion (I am not speaking of this one of the video, at all) whose purpose is to target certain citizens and to harm them, that religion cannot be tolerated.
And I am speaking of American jurisprudence.
Sounds like you aren't familiar with American Christianity either (or American law).

Targeting and harming citizens is a normal thing for American religion.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As a Christian, I will not watch the video.
In my country there is no recognition or legal protection about such kind of religions, since they have never clarified what their purposes are, and whether their purposes are either directly or indirectly not conductive of the common good.
That is, by constitution a religion must demonstrate it founds itself upon good customs, which means their pillars must be ethical and aimed at not harming anyone.
I love your dedication. Lest it be misinterpreted, one doesn't need to view a movie to decide whether or not it is something that one wants to see.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I love your dedication. Lest it be misinterpreted, one doesn't need to view a movie to decide whether or not it is something that one wants to see.
I guess you do understand me.
I really respect anyone's religion or belief.
But these people need to understand that the notion Satan for us Christians is associated with evil.
Something a Christian must reject.
And we do renounce Satan, as Christians.
I have nothing against them, who surely are nice people.
It's a matter of individualistic religiosity.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
If nobody explains me what this religion is about in detail, I will always rely on what Satanism means according to Christianity. So it's not my fault if the followers of this religions either hide or won't reveal details.:)
firstly that person in the video is an atheistic satanist.
Second im a theistic satanist from a different type of satanism then the guy in the video and Im not hiding. Go ahead ask me about my beliefs. I'll tell you about them. Not representive of all theistic satanists but most aren't evil baby eating demons who will curse your families and ruin your lives. In fact I've never even heard of a satanist like that.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I guess you do understand me.
I really respect anyone's religion or belief.
But these people need to understand that the notion Satan for us Christians is associated with evil.
Something a Christian must reject.
And we do renounce Satan, as Christians.
I have nothing against them, who surely are nice people.
It's a matter of individualistic religiosity.
I think you too misunderstand.
Most Satanists are doing it to show how ridiculous the religious opening to meetings is. They want them scrapped all together.
Making the religious 'suffer' like the non-believers have to suffer is their aim.
Hold religious meetings in private before a meeting, don't do it in public.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
If nobody explains me what this religion is about in detail, I will always rely on what Satanism means according to Christianity. So it's not my fault if the followers of this religions either hide or won't reveal details.:)

There are theistic Satanists and atheistic Satanists. Not that it matters, but, at least in the US, conservative Christians want to keep their hold on only them doing invocations. So glad groups out there are challenging this in this area and others.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think you too misunderstand.
Most Satanists are doing it to show how ridiculous the religious opening to meetings is. They want them scrapped all together.
Making the religious 'suffer' like the non-believers have to suffer is their aim.
Hold religious meetings in private before a meeting, don't do it in public.

And we are back to religious freedom.

Brian2

Veteran Member
@Estro Felino @Hockeycowboy

If you're not interested in the video, fine, but don't pollute the thread with kneejerk drivel.

Why are you complaining so much? Surely you are getting what you wanted when you started the thread.
Estrino Felino gave here reaction and thoughts, as you asked but you condemn here for that and start mocking her on behalf of everyone (see post 9) whoever this everyone might be.
You are polluting your own thread and you can't see it.
I suppose that the satanist in the video is wanting to mock Christianity and Christians also.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Her standards of not listening then judging on the basis of what she hasn't heard can be accurately described as burying her head in the sand.

As for my standards I certainly never claimed that anything goes.

In my opinion.

Estrio Felino has not judged the video. She has just given here thoughts on the whole concept from her country's pov.
In my opinion.