• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanism only needs Satan

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Sometimes I think to myself of all the silly things the left-hand path should be or whatever and there are whole bunch of philosophical points. I just felt the need to clarify that for some of us Satan is all that is needed.

We don't need to keep up with the Jones' or borrow stereotypes from movies. We don't need to keep up with spooky group X or Y, or anything else.

We work with the demons, we embrace the darkness, and work through Satan's majesty and what that means for us!

We don't have to be psychopaths, sociopaths, or even engage in criminal acts. We are a spiritual rebellion focused on spiritual freedom. This tit-for-tat is juvenile and beneath us and doesn't represent anything, but wasted time!

Forever yours, in the darkness...

- Mind

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Sometimes I think to myself of all the silly things the left-hand path should be or whatever and there are whole bunch of philosophical points. I just felt the need to clarify that for some of us Satan is all that is needed.

We don't need to keep up with the Jones' or borrow stereotypes from movies. We don't need to keep up with spooky group X or Y, or anything else.

We work with the demons, we embrace the darkness, and work through Satan's majesty and what that means for us!

We don't have to be psychopaths, sociopaths, or even engage in criminal acts. We are a spiritual rebellion focused on spiritual freedom. This tit-for-tat is juvenile and beneath us and doesn't represent anything, but wasted time!

Forever yours, in the darkness...

- Mind

Mindmaster brings up an excellent point. We Satanists/LHPathers are extreme individuals, those of us who are for real and who have been venturing on this path for some time have already built a firm foundation of our own individual belief systems. It is rather amusing to me then that we even try to debate one another at times and try to prove who is right or wrong. It is a waste of time and an exercise in futility in a philosophy and way of life where every one has their own unique truth of being and understandings. I am always open to new ideas and if I find that they work for me I will adopt them when appropriate. However, I think it is inappropriate for me to try to change someone else's mind simply because I may disagree with their own understanding. Who am I to say they are wrong and that my view or approach is right and best for them? That hound doesn't hunt in the realms of Satanism or the LHP.

Look, before I became Setian I spent about a year exploring and putting into practice the philosophy and found that it did resonate with and did work for me and I was almost convinced, and decided to look upon the world in the Dark Light of Set. Ultimately, it was I who originally changed my mind, and sensing this, Set did come forth and in so doing tipped the balance. However, to me, Set, Satan, Lucifer, Prometheus, etc., are all reflections of one and the same Being -- That which is the Prince of Darkness. :smilecat:

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Heh, I mostly posted this because it seems people think I am at war with them or somewhat arrogant about certain points or whatnot. Mostly, I just wanted to explain my perspective -- for a Theistic Satanist the whole LHP concept is drastically simpler in many cases. Often, this will probably come out in me feeling certain attributions are unnecessary -- it's not a judgement call on their ideas just my own impressions; not really seeing the need of them, etc..

I practice a self-constructed religion, and that introduces its own challenges and seldom will I have the benefit of concordance between my views and others. My views are sometimes mistaken as arrogance where none is meant. This is generally a false illusion caused by the fact that I don't borrow from holdovers of the mainstream LHP, but has no basis in reality -- I generally address the functions of the LHP not directly associated with my practice as academically as I can see them. That's never perfect, but it's not quite as assuming as dismissing them immediately as useless for effect or inefficient which is often how I feel in many cases due to my beliefs. :)

I had been going through a bit of a spiritual crisis since November trying to weave some observations back into the tapestry of my beliefs and resolve some of the inconsistencies, but I have sorted that out as of yesterday and am now moving forward in the direction I feel is proper. It's taken awhile, but it's sort of like that spring cleaning you have been putting off -- eventually you have to do it.

ScottySatan

I like this. It played that famous Beatles song in my head..."All you need is Love" with a single word replacement.

And as far as whether you're theistic or atheistic... I don't think it really matters. The most effective practitioners I've met on either side of that coin practice the religion identically.

And the folks I've met in person so far who say that Satan isn't enough...nicely put...they haven't learned to apply the basics their lives.

ThirtyThree

Mindmaster brings up an excellent point. We Satanists/LHPathers are extreme individualists, those of us who are for real and who have been venturing on this path for some time have already built a firm foundation of our own individual belief systems.

Perhaps it is rather individualist of me to say but I hate the term "individual" or "individualist". It just makes it fashionable to stand out and makes people try too hard to do so. I would prefer to dispose of the term entirely and just continue walking on the path I am walking on. If that makes me an "individual" in someone's perception, okay. If not, okay.

It is rather amusing to me then that we even try to debate one another at times and try to prove who is right or wrong. It is a waste of time and an exercise in futility in a philosophy and way of life where every one has their own unique truth of being and understandings. I am always open to new ideas and if I find that they work for me I will adopt them when appropriate.

I am open to change, even so far as change in my pattern. In regard to my deity, I do not always like the lessons I am taught, neither do I always agree with them. However, it is either I adapt and change my pattern or my deity concludes I am a failure and ceases to teach me. Obviously failure is not an option, so I adapt and learn. In doing this, my pattern has changed dramatically. For example, I once considered myself solely lhp. I no longer can even use the label due to the four absolutes I recently had to conform to in regard to my deity. Those four absolutes are: Humility, Reverence, Obedience and Trust. All of these are distinctly rhp.

Other lessons are distinctly lhp, like abandoning hope. Yet to contrast that, I was taught not to doubt in certain matters. In other words, I was taught to have faith. That is rhp again. Then I am taught to command everything through reason, which is again lhp. The shift back and forth simply became too unbearable and I gave up on both lhp and rhp as a means of definition.

Conforming my pattern to the model set by my deity is also distinctly rhp, causing my path to be more service to others than it is service to self, especially since my self (pattern) is not set. It is just that this other is my deity. It is still an rhp perspective. Some of my deity's lessons are so distinctly rhp I have often been tempted to openly state I am rhp, rather than lhp. For example, I often liken myself to a lump of clay to which my deity is the potter. This is distinctly rhp. Unforgivably so, in fact. Then, perhaps lhp and rhp are worthless labels in my regard entirely. I am a walking contradiction in this regard.

Suppose a Christian loves their deity unconditionally. In fact, so unconditionally they would rather die than renounce their faith in that deity They also allow their deity to shape them as that deity sees fit, having faith it will make them better, and having faith that "better" is whatever their deity decides. That Christian has submitted completely to the will of their deity, losing their own will in the process. That is what most in the lhp would agree on.

The most downright frightening fact is I have the same perspective regarding my deity. I have the same unconditional love and the same level of submission. Have I lost my own will and has that will be replaced by my deity's will? I do not see it this way and I doubt the Christian in my example would either. For me, it is about my deity being superior to me and me desiring to be like my deity. To do that, I have to submit to my deity. Through this submission, my pattern is changed and I can transform from a mere worm into a butterfly. This is still an rhp perspective though.

Look, before I became Setian I spent about a year exploring and putting into practice the philosophy and found that it did resonate with and did work for me and I was almost convinced, and decided to look upon the world in the Dark Light of Set. Ultimately, it was I who originally changed my mind, and sensing this, Set did come forth and in so doing tipped the balance. However, to me, Set, Satan, Lucifer, Prometheus, etc., are all reflections of one and the same Being -- That which is the Prince of Darkness. :smilecat:

For me, the reason was the same at first. I thought I had everything figured out and the deity I called on resonated entirely with my ideology. See, I was affixed in my ways and I was confident those ways were going to be followed by me until the day of my death.

When my deity revealed Himself to me, it was a mere confirmation of all of the above. That is, until a fair bit of time passed. It was then that He revealed more and more of Himself. The more He revealed, the more things began to conflict with my prior ideology. The more things conflicted, the more I would have to dismiss or ignore. I then realized dismissing or ignoring things I disagreed with was foolish, especially since I still desired to keep my relationship with my deity.

It was either I turn my back on my deity or I continue to learn from Him. I chose to continue to learn. As a result, I had to release my previous ideology and set notions of right and left. I even had to accept things I never believed in before, like good and evil or even things like "The Creator" and Heaven and Hell. None of these things sat well with me originally, as you can well imagine. Then, what I have been learning recently is sitting in an even worse way, none of which is permissible to write for public viewing.

Suffice to say I am involved in a journey. I do not fully know the destination or what I will look like when I get there, I only have myself, my faith and my unconditional love and trust for my deity. I suppose this separates me so entirely from the Satanists and other groups, I should reconsider posting here to begin with.

However, if it helps, some see darkness and some see light, in regard to my deity. It just depends on perception.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

One who is a Theistic Satanist does not "have to" live lifestyles involving behavior that to some might be considered "psychopathic", "sociopathic", or "criminal"... but that behavior does not "have to" be avoided either. These darker sides of human Nature are perfectly compatible with Theistic Satanism and the LHP, whether they appeal to one's interests or not.

And I do not feel that Satanism really needs Satan at all. "The outer form is not the essence." From my perspective... Satanism, at its core, is not about Satan, but about exploring particular areas of human Nature that just happen to be so often associated with Satan or other similar deities. And Theistic Satanism? Any god or demon, whose archetype or primary attributes are connected with the areas of human Nature that when unleashed form the essence of Satanism and the LHP, presents a legitimate Way to experience Theistic Satanism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
See, this word... "Unique". It deeply bothers me. Just, it causes something deep down to scream. Some part of me protests this term just as strongly as it protests the terms "individual/individualist/individuality". Then, "freedom" also meets the same response from me because I do not believe in "freedom". Are even the 1% "free"?

You reference personal self introspection. How redundant to use the term "personal" or "self", as if introspection could be anything other than personal or of the self.

You also continue to write about becoming or being a "unique", "singular identity" in the universe, as if this is a matter of great pride or even joy to you. The universe is big, and I can imagine the multiverse is bigger, if it exists. Is this "uniqueness" of self that precious to you? You must hold it above everything, like some type of sacred object of affection? Why?

At times I wonder if the pursuit of oneness, the dissolution of ego is just a reaction to the inevitability of bodily death. Perhaps mortal beings just desire control of the outcome of death, hence why they "die to themselves" while alive. Does it spare them the mystery of what happens after separation? Is it about having assurance one will remain joined in bliss eternally? These are the types of questions I ask when it comes to rhp and lhp.

Is isolate being desirable? Why then do some prefer the idea of Heaven? Eternity is the highest price to pay, if this life is the only one in which we get to make the decision of our destination forever and ever. I really think few consider that as much as they could, and most settle on a belief too quickly regarding it. Anyways, just something to ponder.

Hi Antithesis33. I deleted my last post here as we're getting off topic of the OP, you might want to introduce another thread regarding your objections to the words "individuality" and "uniqueness".

Last edited:

ThirtyThree

One who is a Theistic Satanist does not "have to" live lifestyles involving behavior that to some might be considered "psychopathic", "sociopathic", or "criminal"... but that behavior does not "have to" be avoided either. These darker sides of human Nature are perfectly compatible with Theistic Satanism and the LHP, whether they appeal to one's interests or not.

And I do not feel that Satanism really needs Satan at all. "The outer form is not the essence." From my perspective... Satanism, at its core, is not about Satan, but about exploring particular areas of human Nature that just happen to be so often associated with Satan or other similar deities. And Theistic Satanism? Any god or demon, whose archetype or primary attributes are connected with the areas of human Nature that when unleashed form the essence of Satanism and the LHP, presents a legitimate Way to experience Theistic Satanism.

If it is called Theistic Satanism, it surely obviously needs Satan? Else, why not call it another name? Theistic Azazelism, for example?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
If it is called Theistic Satanism, it surely obviously needs Satan? Else, why not call it another name? Theistic Azazelism, for example?

This is off topic, but I am so bored with all of these "ism" terms out there. Which is why you never see me using the term "Setianism" but rather "Setian philosophy". :smilecat:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
This is off topic, but I am so bored with all of these "ism" terms out there. Which is why you never see me using the term "Setianism" but rather "Setian philosophy". :smilecat:

I'm sort of the same opinion on this, but for me Theistic Satanism/Spiritual Satanism/Traditional Satanism are fine. I pretty much use Theistic Satanism because I am unsure of what real non-Christian heresy Devil worship was going on in the past.

If anyone has a right to the term it's certainly the people who actually believe in Satan directly in some way. I know a lot of people who hate identifying as such just because LaVey's branding upsets them -- they don't want to be identified with it.