• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanic Temple After School Clubs

Onyx

Premium Member
So insightful.
How can I raise my post count and earn trophies without one-liners and stupid memes?

Political activism by "Satanists" will only make it more difficult for existing Satanic philosophies and religions to become acceptable. Due to the media attention, now anyone who calls themselves a Satanist will be assumed to be an unethical crap-disturber.

Honestly, the whole thing seems like yet another bandwagon for herd-minded people to jump onto. I don't disagree with everything they do, just wish they did it under a different premise. "Satanism" is a bit of an umbrella term these days, but I don't think the TST fits under it.

Kapalika

Premium Member
How can I raise my post count and earn trophies without one-liners and stupid memes?

Political activism by "Satanists" will only make it more difficult for existing Satanic philosophies and religions to become acceptable. Due to the media attention, now anyone who calls themselves a Satanist will be assumed to be an unethical crap-disturber.

Honestly, the whole thing seems like yet another bandwagon for herd-minded people to jump onto. I don't disagree with everything they do, just wish they did it under a different premise. "Satanism" is a bit of an umbrella term these days, but I don't think the TST fits under it.

1. Pretty sure they are Satanists.

2. Everyone already thought Satanists twere crap-disturbers, if not dangerous.

3. Well they call themselves Satanists and many of the members did before joining so... I mean, they probably do, just not in a way you would identify it as.

Liu

I'd rather assume TST will cause Satanism to become more acceptable - if people start believing that Satanism can be summarized by their 7 tenets, then anyone not blinded by their own religion can basically like or at least tolerate it as an acceptable religion to have.
And there's the problem - they are acceptable. Imo they are the white-light version of Satanism. They believe in objective morality (at least their founder does) and fight for justice and tolerance. They do antinomian things - but not for the sake of their personal development, but for worldly, political goals.

I mean, I like their goals, so more power to them. I consider them Satanists as they call themselves such with a reason (the literary tradition, e.g. Milton), but they are atheistic humanists, not LHP occultists, and so I also understand if people don't consider them real Satanists.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
I'd rather assume TST will cause Satanism to become more acceptable - if people start believing that Satanism can be summarized by their 7 tenets, then anyone not blinded by their own religion can basically like or at least tolerate it as an acceptable religion to have.

In my opinion Satanism will remain the way it is, it will stay the way it is. It will not be acceptable or mainstreamed. I have known from my own experience, I originally tried to explain to everyone my beliefs such as trying to justify it in general, especially to my parents. However my beliefs did not really made it across the table. Many people will have their own perceptions of ways in general. Some people may perhaps disagree with Satanism whether TST justifies it. In my opinion when I would oftenly
hear that TST is perhaps trying to make Satanism acceptable or mainstream, it's more or less whitewashing it IMO.

Onyx

Premium Member
1. Pretty sure they are Satanists.

2. Everyone already thought Satanists twere crap-disturbers, if not dangerous.

3. Well they call themselves Satanists and many of the members did before joining so... I mean, they probably do, just not in a way you would identify it as.

People have worked very hard to defend Satanism as a legitimate, ethical religion, which is why this is a sensitive issue for me. And it may be an organization with Satanists as members, but political activism is not Satanism in my view. The shoe doesn't really fit very well.

Kapalika

Premium Member
People have worked very hard to defend Satanism as a legitimate, ethical religion, which is why this is a sensitive issue for me. And it may be an organization with Satanists as members, but political activism is not Satanism in my view. The shoe doesn't really fit very well.

The problem most Satanists have today is being to selfish and forgetting that Lucifer/Prometheus provided knowledge/fiire to all of mankind and did not keep it for themselves.

Contrary to what the Right Hand Path would say, despite us being heterodoxical, the betterment of all living creatures is essential to the Satanic path.

Their political activism is luilzy in a way, but I see as an efficient way to combat the singular religious voice of conservative Christianity in our society which all Satanists should oppose anyway. IMO people can complain but they have had more success than any other organization. While I'm not personally am member at the moment I've considered joining them but have had a couple of hangups. Even so, I enjoy their work and what Blackmore has had to say about it.

Ave Satanas!

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Their political activism is luilzy in a way, but I see as an efficient way to combat the singular religious voice of conservative Christianity in our society which all Satanists should oppose anyway.

Speaking of politics while I normally prefer not to get involved in politics myself. I have been leaning towards the Left than the right such as Donald Trump etc. I have grown to accept others the way they are, I do not care of a persons ethnic race and I do not judge the person the way they are. My dad on the other hand, I tend to disagree with his views.:smilecat:

From what I've read, the leadership at least seems to sincerely be Satanists. Their views on Satan however are not something you hear about in the press, but a lot of them had similar views which part of why the organization was founded. It might actually help some of you to read on that without jumping to conclusions to their sincerity.

Hell, they even talk about Satan as a rebel against tyranny and nonsensical tradition on their site somewhere I think. I don't see how that view is any less Promethean than the usual crap which looses the point and makes it a totally personal thing, actually it makes them more so Satanic. Prometheus gave fire to all of mankind, he didn't seek it for himself. Likewise Lucifer/Satan/whatever didn't eat the fruit of knowledge of good and evil for himself, he gave it to mankind. To be Satanic is to give to mankind revelation that will better it and broaden it's wisdom and understanding.

Their take is no less valid than any other form of modern/atheistic satanism. Honestly I think they are MORE Satanic than most groups by actually acting on those Promethean principles and being agitators against tyrants much in the way that one might interpret the serpent in the garden of Eden to have done so. I can't think of any other Satanic organization that has actually acted on this.

As far as press, of course they love it. Truth is, most Satanic groups are probably jealous of a lot of it. But you see, the TST isn't satisfied by just talking about ideas. They are putting it into action. And that to me speaks more volume to their sincerity when they speak about Satan as their symbol. It's right there on their site last I checked. Again no less valid than any other form of modern Satanism, given it's basically no different in terms of religious aspects.

You need to be pretty inclusive and liberal to include them in the category 'Satanist'. They are for things like enforced equality(read - affirmitive blacktion type ****), social justice(read:hipster bull****), being accepted by the normals though shining up their collective good guy badges, and the general castration and pussification of Satan himself. Most wiccans are more hard core than these guys.

Liu

The problem most Satanists have today is being to selfish and forgetting that Lucifer/Prometheus provided knowledge/fiire to all of mankind and did not keep it for themselves.

Contrary to what the Right Hand Path would say, despite us being heterodoxical, the betterment of all living creatures is essential to the Satanic path.
To your path it might be essential, but not to mine, or to Satanism in general.
Your mythological reasoning strengthens me in my opinion that moral, humanist Satanists should call themselves Luciferians.

You need to be pretty inclusive and liberal to include them in the category 'Satanist'. They are for things like enforced equality(read - affirmitive blacktion type ****), social justice(read:hipster bull****), being accepted by the normals though shining up their collective good guy badges, and the general castration and pussification of Satan himself. Most wiccans are more hard core than these guys.
I wouldn't have interpreted their fight for equal religious rights as enforced equality - it's about equal rights, not egalitarianism. Or would you rather like to see the Christian fundamentalists continuing to undermine law just because they have the power to do so?
On the other points, I don't mind if they like to engage in such, but yeah, it is pretty white-lighty. The public image of Satanism will always be wrong, I suppose, but I'd prefer to be wrongly considered harmless than the contrary.

Kapalika

Premium Member

I generally don't find it my, or anyone's place, to define what a "true" Satanist is. That game has been played for decades and it is mostly posturing IMO. I couldn't call out the Church of Satan for this kind of thing and then turn around and do it myself. Simply a Satanist is anyone with a favorable view of Satan. Now, that doesn't mean they are intelligent or right about anything. There are plenty of idiots and Satanism isn't immune. There are a lot of groups I wish I could say are not "real" Satanists by some qualifier. But it all comes down to a "No True Scotsman" fallacy in the end.

As far as Wiccans I can say that in my experience that the few I knew... intimately... they were more as crazy than hardcore. But I would agree that crazy is preferable to hipster "normalization" or whatever we want to refer to it as. But I'm not totally convinced that that is their actual intention, given what I've read about the formation of the group and what some of the higher ranking members have said. I would be willing to consider that that is perhaps partially what it has become, but I have not seen any evidence of that. After all, a little bit of trolling is kind of in the testing spirit of Satan. Perhaps it could be measured by how far they take
Overall I agree with at least their explanation of religion needing to not be supernatural, as well as some of their tenets and politics. All that could really convince me that the group isn't serious is if their more prominent members didn't have the education and magical aptitude to back it up. I know nothing of the latter and what little I've read on the former I at least saw parallels with my own thoughts and I know I'm relatively well read up on Satanic literature or at the very least familiar with the various takes on Satanism.

To your path it might be essential, but not to mine, or to Satanism in general.
Your mythological reasoning strengthens me in my opinion that moral, humanist Satanists should call themselves Luciferians.

Thinking about it, I think you have a point. However I would say that to even have that Luciferian label you *have* to take on the Satanic aspect. Without Satan there is no Lucifer, unless you want to go to an interpretation before their conflation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Morning Star" and "Light bearers" in that kind of pre-Satan interpretation is strongly associated with Christ and Christianity. Specifically the Order of the Eastern Star comes to mind. Actually I know of at least one local lodge and I've had family who were members. As a third option, you can go quasi-gnostic. Some believe that "Lucifer" was a Roman god but then why not use a more percise name for him then?

They don't seem to really be any of those, and so Lucifer in this case would basically be Satan. Luciferian might be a better label, but that wouldn't stop them from qualifying as Satanists given the literature from where they draw their own mythology (Milton ect).

. The public image of Satanism will always be wrong, I suppose, but I'd prefer to be wrongly considered harmless than the contrary.

Ya, I'm not too much into having to worry about my safety or loosing a job ect. Some people get a thrill out of feeling like they got this super taboo secret and are something that is hated and loathed. I think that's a pretty unhealthy way to live for any long period of time. Unless of course you totally don't care, which is kind of the point isn't it? So it shouldn't matter on a personal level if you are hated or seen as harmless, but only the former confers practical real world risks that can distract from your practice and so I think being viewed as harmless is generally preferable. Conversely, being feared can have it's advantages in certain situations. But generally speaking it doesn't in my experience since the attention and ire isn't worth whatever you used the fear to accomplish.

Last edited:

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
For one thing the Satanic Temple is perhaps an atheistic satanist activist group whatever you prefer calling them, the satanic temple would use their Satanism for political reasons. In my own opinion I merely think that the Satanic Temple is a reaction to certain religions that would shove their beliefs down the throat of the person. Some people may say that the Satanic temple are composed of atheists who would use Satanism, I may perhaps agree with that.
Ah ok then. I guess it is good that they are trying to make a point that if other religions can have like "Bible club" after school, Satanists can have a Satanic after school thing too.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Ah ok then. I guess it is good that they are trying to make a point that if other religions can have like "Bible club" after school, Satanists can have a Satanic after school thing too.

You may perhaps agree with what they are perhaps doing. But when it comes to going public by having "Satanic school Clubs," or giving out "Satanic text books" to kids, in my opinion this goes way to far. I believe that religion should not go out in public this includes it being added in schools. Even though The Satanic Temple might have a different intention of their approach, I tend to find their approaches to be ridiculous. A child may choose his own Path the more the child grows, but when it comes to putting out Satanism in public for political purposes this goes to far in my own view. I believe that Religion should be kept separate and private.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
You may perhaps agree with what they are perhaps doing. But when it comes to going public by having "Satanic school Clubs," or giving out "Satanic text books" to kids, in my opinion this goes way to far. I believe that religion should not go out in public this includes it being added in schools. Even though The Satanic Temple might have a different intention of their approach, I tend to find their approaches to be ridiculous. A child may choose his own Path the more the child grows, but when it comes to putting out Satanism in public for political purposes this goes to far in my own view. I believe that Religion should be kept separate and private.
I do believe that church and state are suppose to be separate.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I think the move was more of a gesture. What Satanist would make their kid go to a religious club unless their kid really wanted to? It's probably going to die out no matter what.

ScottySatan

I'd want to ask them a question they probably get all the time.

Are all of these antics to demonstrate that there really isn't freedom of religion in the USA?

If so, I applaud that, because it's working. I don't have anything against hypocrisy, but I like them exposing it in folks who preach against it.

If they're trying to grow numbers or gain acceptance, that seems against the point. Heretical even.

If they're trying to educate the masses on Satanism, I wonder why, but not badly enough to do my own research.