• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanic statue placed with Holiday decorations

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's fine but their statue is ugly and I couldn't even tell what it was at first. They at least could've had something more tastful for the season, like a goat head with a Santa hat on or something. Something fun and festive. Bad taste.

Axe Elf

Prophet
"Last month, the temple settled a lawsuit with Warner Bros. and Netflix, after a reboot of the teen witch show Sabrina used a copy of the goat-headed statue in an episode. The temple argued the statue "not only infringed on its copyright, but damaged its reputation by portraying the statue as evil," The New York Times reported."

Wait, what?

Satanists successfully won a lawsuit alleging defamation of Satan by portraying him as evil?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

What will they sue next, the Bible?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
"Last month, the temple settled a lawsuit with Warner Bros. and Netflix, after a reboot of the teen witch show Sabrina used a copy of the goat-headed statue in an episode. The temple argued the statue "not only infringed on its copyright, but damaged its reputation by portraying the statue as evil," The New York Times reported."

Wait, what?

Satanists successfully won a lawsuit alleging defamation of Satan by portraying him as evil?

That's not even what the article snippet you quoted says, let alone the legal case. It is referring to depicting the statue as evil, which goes along with their claim that the statue is based on TST's design. I'm sure they don't want their creation seen as evil. Also, they might not view Baphomet as evil. Baphomet is a nebulous figure in occultism and may or not be viewed as an actual entity and may or may not be associated with Satan.

Shad

Veteran Member

Wait, what?

Would the Windsors be considered responsible for the KJV as head of the Church and being related to the Stuart line?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is this a variation of what is good for the goose is good for the gander, in a legal sense, if one religion is represented, others have a right to be there too?

Right. Either all should be allowed representation or none at all. The problem is that local governments (especially in backwater areas of red states) are notorious for disregarding the establishment clause of the first amendment and show favoritism towards Christianity.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Wait, what?

Since the statue is associated with their organization, they didn't want how it was portrayed in the TV show to be associated with it as well. Don't be disingenuous.

Axe Elf

Prophet
That's not even what the article snippet you quoted says, let alone the legal case. It is referring to depicting the statue as evil, which goes along with their claim that the statue is based on TST's design. I'm sure they don't want their creation seen as evil. Also, they might not view Baphomet as evil. Baphomet is a nebulous figure in occultism and may or not be viewed as an actual entity and may or may not be associated with Satan.
Since the statue is associated with their organization, they didn't want how it was portrayed in the TV show to be associated with it as well. Don't be disingenuous.

But, you see, their organization is already portrayed by the most universal figurehead of evil that exists on planet Earth.

Hence the irony.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Also, they might not view Baphomet as evil. Baphomet is a nebulous figure in occultism and may or not be viewed as an actual entity and may or may not be associated with Satan.

Firstly, Baphomet is not a deity, spirit or entity.
Secondly, the "Baphomet" is Eliphas Levi's creation (inspired by a unverified and contestable Hammer-Purgstall book, in French, untranslated as far as I'm aware) - irony here that Levi himself was a Christian Hermeticist/Occultist.
Thirdly, "Baphomet" of Eliphas Levi is not the same thing that the Knights Templar where alleged of worshiping (which is a contentious myth)
Fourthly, Baphomet, not being a deity and not being directly connected (aside from the word itself) to the Templars - is an artistic personification of a Hermetic symbol, nothing more, nothing less.
Fifthly, it's not "evil" and has no relation to Satan, in spite of Satanism's pathetic theft and misappropriation of the symbol on the basis of it's "scariness" or "dark look"

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Firstly, Baphomet is not a deity, spirit or entity.
Secondly, the "Baphomet" is Eliphas Levi's creation (inspired by a unverified and contestable Hammer-Purgstall book, in French, untranslated as far as I'm aware) - irony here that Levi himself was a Christian Hermeticist/Occultist.
Thirdly, "Baphomet" of Eliphas Levi is not the same thing that the Knights Templar where alleged of worshiping (which is a contentious myth)
Fourthly, Baphomet, not being a deity and not being directly connected (aside from the word itself) to the Templars - is an artistic personification of a Hermetic symbol, nothing more, nothing less.
Fifthly, it's not "evil" and has no relation to Satan, in spite of Satanism's pathetic theft and misappropriation of the symbol on the basis of it's "scariness" or "dark look"
I already know all this, so I have no idea why you quote me. Maybe you meant to quote @Axe Elf?

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I already know all this, so I have no idea why you quote me. Maybe you meant to quote @Axe Elf?

He was referring to Satan, to which I agree (even though that Satan worships God himself), yet find an incredibly dark irony in the Satanist re-interpretation of Satan as a libertarian symbol.

(Although I know very well that Satanists are trolls and that even Satanists themselves tend to hate that "Satanic Temple" for various reasons. At least LaVeyean Satanistism originally had a little wit, despite being wrong about everything, again including their own idiotic misappropriation of older occult symbols)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He was referring to Satan, to which I agree (even though that Satan worships God himself), yet find an incredibly dark irony in the Satanist re-interpretation of Satan as a libertarian symbol.

(Although I know very well that Satanists are trolls and that even Satanists themselves tend to hate that "Satanic Temple" for various reasons. At least LaVeyean Satanistism originally had a little wit, despite being wrong about everything, again including their own idiotic misappropriation of older occult symbols)
I think LaVey was a charlatan and moron who opened Satanism up to neo-Nazis and other social Darwinists who plague it to this day, but symbols do change context.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I think LaVey was a charlatan and moron who opened Satanism up to neo-Nazis and other social Darwinists who plague it to this day, but symbols do change context.

I completely agree with you. All he did was repackage and steal things, along with forming his "Church Of Satan" to bring publicity. He quite so, tainted the work of Crowley (who was also a re-packager too, but a more genuine one) ,Nietzsche, Levi (taking both his "Baphomet" goat and his seal) and John Dee (his sigils), to name a few - and sprinkled an ideology over it to appeal to kids who got sick of the version of Christianity they where brought up in.

Erebus

I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Satanic Temple. They have a way of opening up debates on how secular the USA really is in a way that some other Satanic groups just don't seem to be all that interested in.

Also, for anybody confused about why they use Satan as a figurehead, this line from their website sums it up nicely:

WHAT DOES SATAN MEAN TO TST?

Satan is symbolic of the Eternal Rebel in opposition to arbitrary authority, forever defending personal sovereignty even in the face of insurmountable odds. Satan is an icon for the unbowed will of the unsilenced inquirer… the heretic who questions sacred laws and rejects all tyrannical impositions. Ours is the literary Satan best exemplified by Milton and the Romantic Satanists, from Blake to Shelley, to Anatole France.
[emphasis mine]

Electra

I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Satanic Temple. They have a way of opening up debates on how secular the USA really is in a way that some other Satanic groups just don't seem to be all that interested in.

Also, for anybody confused about why they use Satan as a figurehead, this line from their website sums it up nicely:

[emphasis mine]

I also have a soft spot.
I understand their reasoning for using the symbol.
Still, you can admit, whatever the reasoning, most Satanist must undetstand the humor behind using biblical names/ect.
Not saying it's bad, it's just funny ^^