• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satan was NOT the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

calm

Many think that the devil was the serpent in the Garden of Eden who seduced Eve to eat the fruit of the tree from which God had forbidden. This assertion, which is widespread, is false.
The serpent in the Garden of Eden was literally a serpent and not an angel. This becomes clear when one looks at the whole context.
The serpent is described in Genesis 3:1 as "the craftiest beast in the field" and not as an angel.
In Genesis 3:14, God curses the serpent because it deceived Eve, for he said, "Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock and above all beasts of the field; on your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life."
God said, "Cursed be the serpent among all the beasts of the field," and not among all the angels.
And God said, "You shall Crawl on your belly, and eat dust all the days of your life". Does the devil crawl on his belly today and eat dust? Of course not. But the serpents that we know and see today do that. This and the other statements describe clearly and literally a snake and no angel.
And yes I know that the devil is described in the New Testament as a snake in 2 passages, but this is only to be understood symbolically. The "serpent" symbolizes the cunning, because the devil is cunning in what he does he is therefore called a snake.
Jesus also describes the Pharisees as "serpents" for their treacherous nature. (Matthew 23:33)

Now the question is whether animals really spoke, and as unbelievable as it sounds, the animals really pronounced words like humans. From the day the animals were created and from the day Adam and Eve were created, everyone could talk to each other until the day Eve ate from the tree of fruit from which God had forbidden, because from then on God silenced the animals so that they could no longer speak.
And the language the animals and Adam and Eve spoke to each other is the ancient original Hebrew. This language is the language of God, it was spoken from the animals until the sin of Eve, spoken by man until the destruction of the tower of Babel (through Abraham the Original Hebrew came back into the world because he was taught by the angels) and is still spoken in heaven by God and the angels today and for all eternity.

All information comes from the book "Lesser Genesis" and from the book "Genesis".

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Many think that the devil was the serpent in the Garden of Eden who seduced Eve to eat the fruit of the tree from which God had forbidden. This assertion, which is widespread, is false.
The serpent in the Garden of Eden was literally a serpent and not an angel. This becomes clear when one looks at the whole context.
The serpent is described in Genesis 3:1 as "the craftiest beast in the field" and not as an angel.
In Genesis 3:14, God curses the serpent because it deceived Eve, for he said, "Because you have done this, cursed are you above all livestock and above all beasts of the field; on your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life."
God said, "Cursed be the serpent among all the beasts of the field," and not among all the angels.
And God said, "You shall Crawl on your belly, and eat dust all the days of your life". Does the devil crawl on his belly today and eat dust? Of course not. But the serpents that we know and see today do that. These and the other statements describe clearly and literally a snake and no angel.
And yes, the devil is described in the New Testament as a snake in 2 passages, but this is only to be understood symbolically. The "serpent" symbolizes the cunning, because the devil is cunning in what he does he is therefore called a snake.
Jesus also describes the Pharisees as "serpents" for their treacherous nature. (Matthew 23:33)

Now the question is whether animals really spoke, and as unbelievable as it sounds, the animals really pronounced words like humans. From the day the animals were created and from the day Adam and Eve were created, everyone could talk to each other until the day Eve ate from the tree of fruit from which God had forbidden, because from then on God silenced the animals so that they could no longer speak.
And the language the animals and Adam and Eve spoke to each other is the ancient original Hebrew. This language is the language of God, it was spoken from the animals until the sin of Eve, spoken by man until the destruction of the tower of Babel (through Abraham the Original Hebrew came back into the world because he was taught by the angels) and is still spoken in heaven by God and the angels today and for all eternity.

Funny how this most cursed animal is so successful
with thousands of species all over the world.

calm

Also if you bother to read the Bible you will see that Revelation 12:9 says that Satan is "that old serpent".
Yes, I know that Satan is described in the New Testament as a serpent but this is only to be understood symbolically. The "serpent" symbolizes the cunning, because the devil is cunning in what he does he is therefore called a serpent.
And even today we call devious people "serpents".

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@calm:

For further support of your claim, compare Gen 3:1 with Gen 2:19.

The words used describing the serpent ( " beast of the field " ) are defined in Gen 2:19 as " formed from the earth ". Then 6 verses later, the same Hebrew is used to describe the serpent. Therefore, the snake in the story, logically, would be "formed from the earth". This doesn't match the Christian concept of Satan ( i think :rolleyes: ).

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes, I know that Satan is described in the New Testament as a serpent but this is only to be understood symbolically. The "serpent" symbolizes the cunning, because the devil is cunning in what he does he is therefore called a serpent.

What’ so cunning in fighting a being that cannot possibly lose?

If we take the myth at face value, we can conclude that Satan is the most stupid being ever.

Ciao

- viole

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
@calm:
For further support of your claim, compare Gen 3:1 with Gen 2:19.
The words used describing the serpent ( " beast of the field " ) are defined in Gen 2:19 as " formed from the earth ". Then 6 verses later, the same Hebrew is used to describe the serpent. Therefore, the snake in the story, logically, would be "formed from the earth". This doesn't match the Christian concept of Satan ( i think :rolleyes: ).

I find Eve noticed how cautious serpents were in behavior, so a serpent would be an ideal choice for Satan to use.
Satan could easily use that serpent just as a ventriloquist would use his dummy.
Genesis 3:14 is being addressed to Satan ( that original snake in the grass )
Because it is Satan who will eat ' bite the dust ' because Jesus will destroy Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What’ so cunning in fighting a being that cannot possibly lose?
If we take the myth at face value, we can conclude that Satan is the most stupid being ever.
- viole
Satan wanted humans to worship him.
Satan wanted to be our ' god '.
Satan was drawn out enticed by his own desire to be worshipped - James 1:13-15.
Right, most-stupid creation ever.
Soon, the issue of who governs best will be settled once and for all time to come.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not to mention that in some cultures the serpent is revered.
Yes, and there are the added-on verses found after Mark 16:8.
In other words, Mark's account originally ends at Mark 16:8
After verse 8 the style of writing changes.
After verse 8 there aren't the corresponding cross-reference verses as there is before verse 9.
So, the idea of snakes/serpents in worship or being revered is false.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I find Eve noticed how cautious serpents were in behavior, so a serpent would be an ideal choice for Satan to use.
Satan could easily use that serpent just as a ventriloquist would use his dummy.
Genesis 3:14 is being addressed to Satan ( that original snake in the grass )
Because it is Satan who will eat ' bite the dust ' because Jesus will destroy Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B.

Respectfully, Wouldn't Adam be the ideal choice? Total blind-side :)

lostwanderingsoul

And how does that prove Satan is not the serpent in the Garden of Eden? Why can't the same symbols apply in both old and new testaments?

calm

And how does that prove Satan is not the serpent in the Garden of Eden? Why can't the same symbols apply in both old and new testaments?
If you look at the whole context in Genesis 3, then it becomes clear that it must have been a real serpent.
See the scriptures I mentioned above.

lostwanderingsoul

If you look at the whole context in Genesis 3, then it becomes clear that it must have been a real serpent.
See the scriptures I mentioned above.
OK. I read Matthew 23:33 and my question remains. What does this have to do with Satan being the serpent in Eden? Satan had many reasons to tempt Eve. A real snake would have no reason.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
And God said, "You shall Crawl on your belly, and eat dust all the days of your life". Does the devil crawl on his belly today and eat dust? Of course not. But the serpents that we know and see today do that. This and the other statements describe clearly and literally a snake and no angel.
And yes I know that the devil is described in the New Testament as a snake in 2 passages, but this is only to be understood symbolically. The "serpent" symbolizes the cunning, because the devil is cunning in what he does he is therefore called a snake.

1. serpents don't eat dust

2. even if one considers the serpent to just being a serpent, you're still left with a story featuring talking serpents. I don't think it's credibility is improved by saying that this serpent wasn't controlled (or whatever) by the devil.

Now the question is whether animals really spoke, and as unbelievable as it sounds, the animals really pronounced words like humans.

Yes, that sounds quite unbelievable. In the literal sense. As in: it can not be rationally believed.

From the day the animals were created and from the day Adam and Eve were created

Animals (which includes humans) evolved over millions of years. And homo sapiens population never consisted of just 2 people.

, everyone could talk to each other until the day Eve ate from the tree of fruit from which God had forbidden, because from then on God silenced the animals so that they could no longer speak.

Uhu.

All information comes from the book "Lesser Genesis" and from the book "Genesis".

Try getting your information from reality next time.