• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

satan a god?

Liu

the eastern orthodox who follow the nicene creed. they think satan wants to overthrown god and take his place.

That notion can also be found among other Christian faiths, I think.
It still doesn't mean that they believe Satan to be a deity - just because he tries to take the position of God doesn't mean he can. Different theological believes claim different things concerning whether he can.

Reactions: syo

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever read the book of Job? Read the first chapter and it will tell you what Satan spends his time doing.
At the beck and call of G-d, who has him do it. Satan is an angel under G-d like all other angels.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Jesus said people are little gods, so if the Angels are higher than us they must all be "gods" with a slightly bigger g than people.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
satan is a servant of god, doing god's will to bring us to temptation. how come satan is considered a god of his own?

Depends on your perspective, however, I have found The Bible to be wrong on a great many of things.

In Judaism, Satan is sometimes referred to as Samael an angel, and therefore unable to do anything but Adonai's bidding because of that fact. Other religions, such as Christianity, do not really adhere to this "angels have no will" jive so much given their need to manufacture a devil to blame for the temptations they feel rather than blaming their inferior religion for not being accommodating to human nature. :D

In any case, the error of the Abrahamic religions in this matter has nothing to do with either notion directly, but rather that they view the creation as isolate and opposed where it is simply varied and evolving. I view Satan as one of many of these beings, but to say he exists purely in opposition is silly. I feel he is important to me because of my personal connection to him, and that he more embodies the spiritual ideals that I strive for.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From an Eastern perspective:

There isn’t any difference between Maya and Satan! It’s just that Satan is the personified form of the outflowing force of AUM which consciously seeks to perpetuate itself separate from God. The entire cosmos is a manifestation of consciousness. In order that the drama take place, there needs to be a dynamic tension between the hero and the villain; between the play of opposites, for when the “motion ceases, God begins” (to quote Paramhansa Yogananda).

God has empowered the creation with his own impulse to create. To do so is the nature of Bliss: to expand, to share, to become “made manifest.” But the drama would end shortly unless there is some other impulse to perpetuate it. Maya cloaks the Spirit with an infinite variety of forms and endows those forms with the impulse to procreate and enjoy existence in those forms and as those forms, thus losing touch with the original and indwelling Spirit.

https://www.ananda.org/ask/what-is-the-difference-between-maya-and-satan/

Liu

From an Eastern perspective:

There isn’t any difference between Maya and Satan!

It’s just that Satan is the personified form of the outflowing force of AUM which consciously seeks to perpetuate itself separate from God. The entire cosmos is a manifestation of consciousness. In order that the drama take place, there needs to be a dynamic tension between the hero and the villain; between the play of opposites, for when the “motion ceases, God begins” (to quote Paramhansa Yogananda).

God has empowered the creation with his own impulse to create. To do so is the nature of Bliss: to expand, to share, to become “made manifest.” But the drama would end shortly unless there is some other impulse to perpetuate it. Maya cloaks the Spirit with an infinite variety of forms and endows those forms with the impulse to procreate and enjoy existence in those forms and as those forms, thus losing touch with the original and indwelling Spirit.

https://www.ananda.org/ask/what-is-the-difference-between-maya-and-satan/
I kinda said the same thing recently in the LHP-DIR :D
And, like some of the tantriks I would then say that Maya (and therefore Satan) is basically the same as the divine, or at least, as in your description, its Shakti-aspect.

Repox

Truth Seeker
God creates, Satan can create nothing, he attacks and destroys. Satan was expelled from heaven for attacking and hurting the other angels while trying to be God. Now, in his prison (universe), he causes chaos and havoc on earth. There are rebels who want to be like Satan, they have cases against God.

Unfortunately, for all humans there is no eternity. Unlike Satan, humans are mortal creatures, they live, die and turn to dust. It is foolish to worship Satan, he causes nothing but pain and misery.

DavidFirth

At the beck and call of G-d, who has him do it. Satan is an angel under G-d like all other angels.

No, actually Satan has to ask permission to tempt people. And God only allows him to go so far. That's the lesson learned from the first chapter.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No, actually Satan has to ask permission to tempt people. And God only allows him to go so far. That's the lesson learned from the first chapter.
Yes that's my point. He's an angel under G-d like any other angel.

DavidFirth

Yes that's my point. He's an angel under G-d like any other angel.

No, actually he was cast out of heaven and is the leader of the angels who sinned (now referred to as demons). Satan actually is responsible for their sin in that he deceived them into rebellion similar to the way he deceived Eve. He lied to them and told them half-truths so they would follow him.

Satan spends all of his time travelling the Earth like a lion looking for whom he may devour. He is not a resident of heaven and he is not like God's holy angels. He has been banished from heaven and must come before God by request only. The holy angels reside in heaven and minister before God constantly.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No, actually he was cast out of heaven and is the leader of the angels who sinned (now referred to as demons). Satan actually is responsible for their sin in that he deceived them into rebellion similar to the way he deceived Eve. He lied to them and told them half-truths so they would follow him.

Satan spends all of his time travelling the Earth like a lion looking for whom he may devour. He is not a resident of heaven and he is not like God's holy angels. He has been banished from heaven and must come before God by request only. The holy angels reside in heaven and minister before God constantly.
In the Christian view. There is nothing in Tanach to suggest such a concept though.

DavidFirth

In the Christian view. There is nothing in Tanach to suggest such a concept though.

Practically all of Job suggests it. Chapter 1 of Job states a lot of what I said, which is where it came from in the first place.

If Satan is a resident of heaven, why did God ask him where he had come from?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Practically all of Job suggests it. Chapter 1 of Job states a lot of what I said, which is where it came from in the first place.

If Satan is a resident of heaven, why did God ask him where he had come from?
G-d was asking a rhetorical question, just as He asked Adam after he hid. As you've just observed, Satan's mission as given by his Creator is to be a tempter and such.

DavidFirth

G-d was asking a rhetorical question, just as He asked Adam after he hid. As you've just observed, Satan's mission as given by his Creator is to be a tempter and such.

Why then will Satan and his angels be cast into hell at the Judgement?