• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava

Satyamavejayanti

Sarva (all) Dharma (religions) Sama (same) Bhava (are of)

I wish to know your view, if your are in support of the above statement or against it?

Do you know where this saying comes from and who?

Do you view Dharma as religion or other?

I agree to the above statement partially, as i don't think Dharma means religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Definitely not all same all same. Dharma is not equated to religion, but to sacred duty the way an eastern thinker understands it.

Satyamavejayanti

According to this: Sarva Dharma Sama Bhava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it means equal treatment by the state. But that sure isn't true, or the money collected by mosques and churches would be given to the state, as it is with Hindu temples.

yes, Equality means exactly that, no special treatment.

see how much damage just one idea of a leader based on emotion rather then intellect can do for a country and its future.

If every individual is not the same, why then should religions be??

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Agree religions are not the same, but would not Dharma (sacred duty) be same for all?

There is more than one kind of dharma ... and this depends on who you ask. Hindus ---How many types of Dharma are there? - Yahoo! Answers India provides some insight. I believe rita dharma would be the same everywhere, but svadharma surely isn't, since we are all different. Sri dharma and purusha dharma are obviously different.

The quotes of people like Gandhi, Vivekenanda, even Sankara to some extent are all open to debate. I think in the west there is a one-sided notion basically equaling heroic for such historical figures, but when you look deeper, they all have their critics. A more easily seen example of this phenomena is Mother Theresa.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course all religions are not the same. If they were the same they'd be one religion. Do they have the same goals? For the most part yes, with different methods, imo. Everyone and every religion has their dharma, their way, path, duty. As someone pointed out to me once, there are many types of dharma. When we say dharma we usually mean svadharma, personal dharma.

Maya3

We all try to reach God in whatever way we can.
Luckily we are all different so interpretations differ.

Maya

Satyamavejayanti

Vinayaka;3258349]There is more than one kind of dharma ... and this depends on who you ask. Hindus ---How many types of Dharma are there? - Yahoo! Answers India provides some insight. I believe rita dharma would be the same everywhere, but svadharma surely isn't, since we are all different. Sri dharma and purusha dharma are obviously different.

yes, it does all depend of what Dharma is to each individual in the first place. Can i ask what you mean by Sri Dharma, Purusha and Rta?

The quotes of people like Gandhi, Vivekenanda, even Sankara to some extent are all open to debate. I think in the west there is a one-sided notion basically equaling heroic for such historical figures, but when you look deeper, they all have their critics. A more easily seen example of this phenomena is Mother Theresa.

Yes they are indeed, it seems in the west Mahatma Gandhi is a representative of Hinduism, people quote Gandhi when discussing Hinduism and its beliefs, there is a pre-conceived notion that Hinduism considers all religions the same, and Gandhi is almost all the time referred to.

I had thought for a long time that "Sarva Darma Sambahva", was a Vedic saying, until i started to actually read into Vedas, there seemed to be no notion of this.

Satyamavejayanti

Of course all religions are not the same. If they were the same they'd be one religion. Do they have the same goals? For the most part yes, with different methods, imo. Everyone and every religion has their dharma, their way, path, duty. As someone pointed out to me once, there are many types of dharma. When we say dharma we usually mean svadharma, personal dharma.

i know, i just have my Universal hat on these days.. lol , but i dont think that all religions even have Dharma, its the Hindus who say this, not other religions.

Satyamavejayanti

We all try to reach God in whatever way we can.
Luckily we are all different so interpretations differ.

Maya

yes that is true too, but only Dharmic religions have this view about non dhamic religions, I don't think many Abrahamic religions consider the same about Dharmic ones.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
yes, it does all depend of what Dharma is to each individual in the first place. Can i ask what you mean by Sri Dharma, Purusha and Rta?

The link I gave you answers Rta ... universal laws like karma and gravity . Sri is women's amd purusha is man's ... nothing extravagant.

Maya3

yes that is true too, but only Dharmic religions have this view about non dhamic religions, I don't think many Abrahamic religions consider the same about Dharmic ones.

They usually don´t, often quite the opposite, which is why I think it is so important to be accepting and understanding.

If someone says that my way is the ONLY WAY, they loose credibility immediately.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They usually don´t, often quite the opposite, which is why I think it is so important to be accepting and understanding.

If someone says that my way is the ONLY WAY, they loose credibility immediately.

Maya

That's why there are so many universalists within 'Hinduism', and very few in other faiths. I put quotes around 'Hinduism' because some Hindus would no longer consider universalism especially the radical universalism (see paper by Frank Morales) as even Hinduism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
...i dont think that all religions even have Dharma, its the Hindus who say this, not other religions.

You are right, I don't think there's a concept of it in other religions as there is in Hinduism. Though in Roman Catholicism you'd hear "calling" as in "it is my calling to help the homeless/sick/elderly... ", "it's his calling to the priesthood... ". But that's not an everyday concept.

Satyamavejayanti

Maya

I know we all should accept and understand each others lifestyles, which is a strong point within Hinduism generally i think, but we don't want to be too accepting of the wrong things either, i think the simple definitions of Dharma itself gives a guide line of what is acceptable and what is Adharma.