• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sarah Everard vigil - police attack mourners

exchemist

Veteran Member
By the police, judges, politicians, TV commentators, newspapers taking it seriously and realising it is a serious problem.
Stop blaming women for what they wear.
Teaching young males how to behave - by parents, schools and colleges (and churches if relevant)
Nobody in the justice system or the media treats murder lightly, and sexual murders always evoke an outpouring of horror and disgust, the latest case being no different. So to claim it is not taken seriously is just empty cant. We need to look elsewhere.

And teaching young males how to behave is a bit glib. What is the evidence that this makes, or will make, a difference to extreme sexual violence, and who is to teach them and how are they to do it in a way that will get through?

To be honest I doubt that sexual murders can be tackled by simply trying to alter social attitudes in general. It seems to me more likely there is a psychological derangement involved. I would want, at the very least, to hear from psychologists who have studied these cases, before agreeing to any proposed programme of action.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Last week on my local canal a male molester was finally caught after weeks of sightings and reports.
My daughter was verbally abused about a moth ago for running in her leotard - by a man.
I have two grand daughters, I want them to be fear free.

Unfortunately it is the norm; it needs to change and it is events like this that help bring about change.
Shame on the police for 'kettling' the protesters. If they'd stood aside and let it happen, there would have been no issues.
How can boisterous, predominantly male football supporters be handled sensitively by one force - but flower laying, candle lighting women be treated like criminals by another force?
This is how the police has likely been trained to handle protests, regardless of the political context. At this point we should already know that the police generally don't seem to really care about de-escalating protests, or are seemingly unable to do so unless they strongly identify with the goal and lifestyle of protesters (i.e. mainstream authoritarianism).

danieldemol

Premium Member
It was unofficial, no one was in charge. It was spontaneous.
Be that as it may, someone was fined, and someone collected the charity funds to alleviate those fines.

It would be better if that money went into customer service for the remaining vigil.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Be that as it may, someone was fined, and someone collected the charity funds to alleviate those fines.

It would be better if that money went into customer service for the remaining vigil.
That's not how i understand it.
The organisers liaised with the police to try to make it official, they could not agree for it to go ahead.
The organisers then started a 'Go Fund Me' or similar instead
BUT many people still turned up to lay flowers and light candles.