• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sarah Everard vigil - police attack mourners

exchemist

Veteran Member
Metropolitan Police accused of ‘heavy-handed’ response at Sarah Everard vigil – follow live

A girl killed by an active police officer, a vigil arranged, Police pile in heavy handed.

I know COVID rules apply, but ffs show some compassion.

Thank heavens for UK gun laws
I've no sympathy. They were told a demo was out of the question due to the virus situation. The virus won't stop just because people want to get weepy about this girl. They should have agreed to find another way to make their point, as others did.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I wonder if they would have been so heavy handed if the one charged with her murder wasn't one of their own.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What is allowed and what is not allowed.

9CB0CB7E-24CD-482C-8D32-BB3F79659EFC.jpeg

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think that for the sake of safety of the people involved in the vigil event organisers could have had customer service staff to encourage social distancing, but its easy to say that in hindsight, so perhaps out of compassion the politicians could arrange for the fines to be waved conditionally upon the money raised to cover the fines used to hire some customer service staff for the remaining vigils so that people can partake in the vigils without a new covid breakout occurring.

What is allowed and what is not allowed.

View attachment 48478

Well the top one wasn't allowed either, and steps were taken to try to prevent it (completely ineffective ones mind). They just didn't use force to break it up given it would have taken several hundred police officers, would just have moved the fans to other public locations and would probably have started a riot.

Also they are in different countries with different police forces and different legal systems.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What is going on with this totalitarian behavior in free world countries?
In the UK, we're getting what our system voted for. Protest is being outlawed, the teaching of non-capitalist ideas is being banned, the supposedly neutral BBC (paid for by the public) has just had a Conservative Party donor made the Chair of the broadcaster, the judiciary is under attack by the government...we've still got our own trump...
We have a multi-party political system but with a first past the post voting system. It's not fit for purpose.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I've no sympathy. They were told a demo was out of the question due to the virus situation. The virus won't stop just because people want to get weepy about this girl. They should have agreed to find another way to make their point, as others did.
You are in a very small minority - c/w with the way the Scottish police treated Ranger's supporters when they had a rowdier celebration in Glasgow.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think that for the sake of safety of the people involved in the vigil event organisers could have had customer service staff to encourage social distancing, but its easy to say that in hindsight, so perhaps out of compassion the politicians could arrange for the fines to be waved conditionally upon the money raised to cover the fines used to hire some customer service staff for the remaining vigils so that people can partake in the vigils without a new covid breakout occurring.
It was unofficial, no one was in charge. It was spontaneous.

Which countries?

edit: Scotland and England? Bit confusing that bit! Personally I refer to them as the four nations constituting one country.

Whatever the terminology, the 2 pictured event fall under the control of different political bodies and under different legal systems.

So can't really say "they" allowed A but not B (not that anyone "allowed" A anyway)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Whatever the terminology, the 2 pictured event fall under the control of different political bodies and under different legal systems.

So can't really say "they" allowed A but not B (not that anyone "allowed" A anyway)
It seems to me the relevant difference is one was felt too big to deal with whereas last night's wasn't and the Met went totally OTT, such that even Priti Patel found it "disturbing" and we all know what a caring person she is.

"The Metropolitan Police's handling of a vigil in south London to mourn Sarah Everard has been widely criticised across the political spectrum."

- Sarah Everard: Met criticised over Clapham vigil policing

exchemist

Veteran Member
You are in a very small minority - c/w with the way the Scottish police treated Ranger's supporters when they had a rowdier celebration in Glasgow.
I was in a small minority in my views on the way the death of the Princess of Wales was handled, too. This girl is being Dianaised and the murder is being blown up into another moral panic. If I have to see her face in the headlines for a fifth day running I shall scream.

The demonstration was illegal and the demonstrators knew that, so it was a deliberate flouting of the regulations. To what purpose? They were asking to be arrested, and I have little doubt some of them wanted to be, to gain publicity. From the reports it was precisely four people that were led away in handcuffs, after being uncooperative.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What is going on with this totalitarian behavior in free world countries?
That totalitarian behavior has always existed. But until now, it had acceptable targets in the form of radical leftists and ethnic/religious minorities. Now that "ordinary" (i.e. reasonably wealthy, conservative folks) have started to openly flaunt the state's rules against COVID, they are provoking the same reaction typically reserved for the acceptable targets of capitalist state violence.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I was in a small minority in my views on the way the death of the Princess of Wales was handled, too. This girl is being Dianaised and the murder is being blown up into another moral panic. If I have to see her face in the headlines for a fifth day running I shall scream.

The demonstration was illegal and the demonstrators knew that, so it was a deliberate flouting of the regulations. To what purpose? They were asking to be arrested, and I have little doubt some of them wanted to be, to gain publicity. From the reports it was precisely four people that were led away in handcuffs, after being uncooperative.
Last week on my local canal a male molester was finally caught after weeks of sightings and reports.
My daughter was verbally abused about a moth ago for running in her leotard - by a man.
I have two grand daughters, I want them to be fear free.

Unfortunately it is the norm; it needs to change and it is events like this that help bring about change.
Shame on the police for 'kettling' the protesters. If they'd stood aside and let it happen, there would have been no issues.
How can boisterous, predominantly male football supporters be handled sensitively by one force - but flower laying, candle lighting women be treated like criminals by another force?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Last week on my local canal a male molester was finally caught after weeks of sightings and reports.
My daughter was verbally abused about a moth ago for running in her leotard - by a man.
I have two grand daughters, I want them to be fear free.

Unfortunately it is the norm; it needs to change and it is events like this that help bring about change.
Shame on the police for 'kettling' the protesters. If they'd stood aside and let it happen, there would have been no issues.
How can boisterous, predominantly male football supporters be handled sensitively by one force - but flower laying, candle lighting women be treated like criminals by another force?
I wish someone would start to talk abut how that change can be brought about - or brought about faster, as incidence of sexual assault seem to be - very slowly - improving rather than getting worse: How many attacks on women are there?

But how you reduce the incidence of perves actually prepared to murder is not something I have ever seen intelligently addressed. The present hooha seems to be an excuse for all sorts of people to bring out their hobby horses for a run, rather than for much insightful commentary.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I wish someone would start to talk abut how that change can be brought about - or brought about faster, as incidence of sexual assault seem to be - very slowly - improving rather than getting worse: How many attacks on women are there?

But how you reduce the incidence of perves actually prepared to murder is not something I have ever seen intelligently addressed. The present hooha seems to be an excuse for all sorts of people to bring out their hobby horses for a run, rather than for much insightful commentary.
By the police, judges, politicians, TV commentators, newspapers taking it seriously and realising it is a serious problem.
Stop blaming women for what they wear.
Teaching young males how to behave - by parents, schools and colleges (and churches if relevant)