• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saonara Italy to impose Blasphemy fine

danieldemol

Premium Member
‘A northern Italian town has had enough of people taking the Lord’s name in vain and those who do will be fined up to €400 (£360) for blasphemy.

The city council of Saonara, a town with 10,000 inhabitants just outside Padua, has introduced a new law making it illegal “to blaspheme against any faith or religion” and utter foul language in public.’

Read more here Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain: Italian town to issue €400 blasphemy fines

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
‘A northern Italian town has had enough of people taking the Lord’s name in vain and those who do will be fined up to €400 (£360) for blasphemy.

The city council of Saonara, a town with 10,000 inhabitants just outside Padua, has introduced a new law making it illegal “to blaspheme against any faith or religion” and utter foul language in public.
Interesting. A law that would clearly fail in the U.S. might be legal in Italy. They do not have a well defined freedom of speech there. Or so it appears from the limited reading that I did.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
These fines (in Italy called mulcts) are part of the administrative law and not of the penal law.
Meaning they are rarely applied

We Never Know

No Slack

The city council of Saonara, a town with 10,000 inhabitants just outside Padua, has introduced a new law making it illegal “to blaspheme against any faith or religion” and utter foul language in public.

What standard are they using to get a base and a high on how much someone would be fined?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What standard are they using to get a base and a high on how much someone would be fined?
It is allowed to say " Jesus was gay" but calling God a pig (for example) can be fined.
Which cannot be proved unless the sentence you say is recorded...to give you an idea how rarely these mulcts are applied.

We Never Know

No Slack
It is allowed to say " Jesus was gay" but calling God a pig (for example) can be fined.
Which cannot be proved unless the sentence you say is recorded...to give you an idea how rarely these mulcts are applied.

Is it a set fine? If 50 people all at different times call god a pig, will they all get the same fine or does it vary?

We Never Know

No Slack
Many laws are only there to generate revenue. Take for example states that have a seat belt law but not a helmet law for motorcycles.
IMO if it's about safety, it's more unsafe to ride a motorcycle without a helmet than to drive a car without a seat belt.

danieldemol

Premium Member
i’m not sure but according to the article “In December last year a man was fined €100 for blasphemy in front of a school in Albisola Superiore near Savona.” so I guess that would likely benchmark 100 as the minimum fine and I guess the max penalty is just what is written into the law but I don’t know enough about these things to know.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Many laws are only there to generate revenue. Take for example states that have a seat belt law but not a helmet law for motorcycles.
IMO if it's about safety, it's more unsafe to ride a motorcycle without a helmet than to drive a car without a seat belt.
There is nothing unsafe in the temporal world about blasphemy unless people choose to make it unsafe

We Never Know

No Slack
i’m not sure but according to the article “In December last year a man was fined €100 for blasphemy in front of a school in Albisola Superiore near Savona.” so I guess that would likely benchmark 100 as the minimum fine and I guess the max penalty is just what is written into the law but I don’t know enough about these things to know.

I was just curious as to if they have different classes of blasphemy like say for example,, a misdemeanor, felony E, felony D, felony C etc.

danieldemol

Premium Member
We are a liberal secular country. You can write books against Christianity and the Pope...and many writers did and do.
Yes I suppose I should have clarified that I wasn’t giving examples from Italy in post 16, just clarifying how people could potentially choose to make it dangerous as per the question I was asked. I’m sure Italians are far more civilised than the potential examples I gave