• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Clause the Shaman

gnomon

I thought the mushrooms were used by the shaman to "travel" in order to speak with ancestors and that this practice was restricted to the shaman. Reindeer digging through the snow for the mushrooms is really interesting. And I can see the connection with the Sami and their connection with the other northern European cultures.

I think the reindeer are getting high. Maybe traveling to speak with their own ancestors. And maybe Rudolph derived from a reindeer with a very serious habit!

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I had always known that Santa was taken from the Finnish "Yule Goat", who would wear read and give gifts to all the good children.

Ghost

Singing Thunder Bear
I thought the mushrooms were used by the shaman to "travel" in order to speak with ancestors and that this practice was restricted to the shaman. Reindeer digging through the snow for the mushrooms is really interesting. And I can see the connection with the Sami and their connection with the other northern European cultures.

I think the reindeer are getting high. Maybe traveling to speak with their own ancestors. And maybe Rudolph derived from a reindeer with a very serious habit!

Haha! Mushrooms. GOOD times... :cool:

No wonder I'm so jolly. Now all I need is a reindeer.
:D

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
I think the reindeer are getting high. Maybe traveling to speak with their own ancestors.

There is a curious relationship between reindeer, the fly agaric mushroom, and shamanism in some of those northern tribes. Its been a long while since I saw the original source but my impression was not only do they use the reindeer to find the mushrooms, kind of like pigs and truffles, but in fact are quite cognizant of the effect on their herds and try to minimize it... giving them some as a reward but trying not to let them get too intoxicated. I guess they get rowdy.

And when the people themselves take the mushroom special precautions are taken to keep the herd secure. The reason for this, other than trying to herd reindeer while flying high on strong mushrooms sounds like a real pain, has to do with urine.

Fly agaric mushrooms, unlike the more commonly known psilocybin containing "magic" mushrooms, contain muscimol, which passes through the urinary tract relatively unaffected. In fact the effect is supposedly superior, as the body of the initial user (or "donor"..) would filter out all the nasty stuff and nauseating "body load". So the shamans would eat large amounts of the mushrooms and have their visions, and then distribute to the rest of the tribe members this sacred fluid, who would imbibe and later hear the visions narrated to them as it took effect.

The reindeer, however, being fairly wily and having associated with these people for many hundreds of generations, know this fact and are believed to seek after the urine of those who are under the influence. Urine is also very salty, a rare thing in the tundra, and reindeer often think of the yellow snow as a salty treat. Thus, it is believed, they must be penned up to avoid accidentally biting the penises of tripping tribesmen in their enthusiastic lust for the hallucinogenic pee.

EyeofOdin

Santa Claus is a Frankenstein of many different cultural icons. The most influential are Cernunnos, Saint Nicholas and Odin.

Cernunnos brings deer symbolism, as he is god of the animals, he's depicted with antlers often.

Saint Nicholas brings the name and the idea of gift giving.

Odin brings more things than any of them. Odin flew around on his eight legged horse, who was sometimes said to have a nose stained red because he was eating the flesh of the wicked and the enemies of Odin. Odin also would often lead "The Wild Hunt" on the winter solstice, and on his way he was given offerings, which is where we have milk and cookies, and he gave blessings to the good and curses to the evil, the idea of presents from Santa.