• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sangha troubles

Tonstad39

Senior headwriter of the Onstad Mythology Series
The area where I live has three Sanghas and a temple. The temple is in a remote area that's difficult for me to get to as i don't have a car. I am interested in the Therevana school of Buddhism, but the only Therevana sangha in my area is run by a priest who mixes in leftist ideology with Teachings and Wisdom. The other two sanghas are Vajrayana and Zen respectively.

The Vajrayana sangha only has services one a week and didn't work with my schedule at the time.

The Zen sangha is a best comprimise between the two in that its both run by sane, rational people and has services that work with my schedule. I suppose given that I am something of a minority in my country (USA) I should be lucky that there are any sanghas at all. What I wonder is, how am I suppost to get into the therevana tradition when the therevana sangha is an agenda pusher?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The area where I live has three Sanghas and a temple. The temple is in a remote area that's difficult for me to get to as i don't have a car. I am interested in the Therevana school of Buddhism, but the only Therevana sangha in my area is run by a priest who mixes in leftist ideology with Teachings and Wisdom. The other two sanghas are Vajrayana and Zen respectively.

The Vajrayana sangha only has services one a week and didn't work with my schedule at the time.

The Zen sangha is a best comprimise between the two in that its both run by sane, rational people and has services that work with my schedule. I suppose given that I am something of a minority in my country (USA) I should be lucky that there are any sanghas at all. What I wonder is, how am I suppost to get into the therevana tradition when the therevana sangha is an agenda pusher?
What kind of agenda are you talking about here? Give an example.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What I wonder is, how am I suppost to get into the therevana tradition when the therevana sangha is an agenda pusher?

The obvious answers, in no particular order, would be:

1. Try to reach a common understanding with that priest. If you feel that his personal agenda is interfering with the validity of his teachings, tell him so.
2. Study the tradition on your own and discuss your points of contention with him.
3. Decide whether the effort of discerning the valid teaching from the invalid is worth the trouble, and act accordingly.
4. Seek opportunities to engage in Dharma talk with both Sanghas, if you feel motivated to care for the quality of their transmissions.

Tonstad39

When i went there we did a meditation (I don't remember what it was called, but had something to do with permitting what was happening around you). He talked about the various energy centers and how our importance on appearenceis an illusion before making a quip about how the cosmetics industry exploits that very illusion. He also launched into a rant about how Buddha's teachings were radical for its time, how we sould be permissive of change and how being permissive gives us (the people at the sangha) the freedom to see things as they are and to go against the status quo.

I only went there one and its possible was a one-off even, but like a catholic priest going on a tyrade against Abortion one time was too many.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When i went there we did a meditation (I don't remember what it was called, but had something to do with permitting what was happening around you).

Vipassana, perhaps?

He talked about the various energy centers and how our importance on appearenceis an illusion before making a quip about how the cosmetics industry exploits that very illusion. He also launched into a rant about how Buddha's teachings were radical for its time, how we sould be permissive of change and how being permissive gives us (the people at the sangha) the freedom to see things as they are and to go against the status quo.

Sounds like a genuine ideological incompatibility between the two of you.

I only went there one and its possible was a one-off even, but like a catholic priest going on a tyrade against Abortion one time was too many.
Things are as they are. If you are displeased by his transmission, then that is how things are.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When i went there we did a meditation (I don't remember what it was called, but had something to do with permitting what was happening around you). He talked about the various energy centers and how our importance on appearenceis an illusion before making a quip about how the cosmetics industry exploits that very illusion. He also launched into a rant about how Buddha's teachings were radical for its time, how we sould be permissive of change and how being permissive gives us (the people at the sangha) the freedom to see things as they are and to go against the status quo.

Buddha was against cosmetics if you wish to know. Buddha's teachings were also radical for his time and he definitely did go against the the expectations of his society by giving up his warriors duties, leaving his family, taking up wandering asceticism, allowing any person of whatever social class as his disciple, and initiating women in the order. So what the teacher was saying is correct.

So the question is, do you want a meditation class or do you want to practice Buddhism? Many centers have purely meditation classes (no Buddhism, just the mechanical methods) and you should ask which ones those are, if that is what you want.

Tonstad39

Buddha was against cosmetics if you wish to know. Buddha's teachings were also radical for his time and he definitely did go against the the expectations of his society by giving up his warriors duties, leaving his family, taking up wandering asceticism, allowing any person of whatever social class as his disciple, and initiating women in the order. So what the teacher was saying is correct.

Maybe signs in the window to the sangha (This sangha is a part of an outdoor complex of offices) for POC sitting groups and "Dharma punx" maybe colored my perceptions of what his intentions were.

So the question is, do you want a meditation class or do you want to practice Buddhism? Many centers have purely meditation classes (no Buddhism, just the mechanical methods) and you should ask which ones those are, if that is what you want.

I personally follow buddhism as a religion, so services would still help me achieve enlightenment. the zen center has meditation classes followed by a short ritual as well as weekly dharma talks. I haven't paid much attention to the schedules of the therevana center though

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe signs in the window to the sangha (This sangha is a part of an outdoor complex of offices) for POC sitting groups and "Dharma punx" maybe colored my perceptions of what his intentions were.
Probably an attempt at outreach outside of white affluent middle aged middle class folks who usually frequent the Shangha-s in many places. Buddha himself was a big practitioner of adapting his teaching to the backgrounds of his different audiences.

I personally follow buddhism as a religion, so services would still help me achieve enlightenment. the zen center has meditation classes followed by a short ritual as well as weekly dharma talks. I haven't paid much attention to the schedules of the therevada center though
Cool.