• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanders on Al Franken / Where is line drawn?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I presume both sides are innocent until proof of their guilt emerges.
Before strutting around offering cover to sexual abuse and those who engage in it, you might wish to learn the difference between "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" and "preponderance of evidence."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What world do you live in?
I distinctly recall Trump commissioning them to do well publicized performance art pieces during the campaign.
Tom
In this context, I refer to Hillary's voters.
The Democrats & sympathetic media entirely ignored it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Google "birtherism" or "Swiftboat".
For added entertainment, add "Trump" to your search.
Tom
Regarding Swiftboat, veterans I know despised Kerry for his gaming
the system for undeserved medals & early release from duty.
To pretend being a hero worked against him. He gambled & lost.

Sanzbir

Before strutting around offering cover to sexual abuse and those who engage in it, you might wish to learn the difference between "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" and "preponderance of evidence."

First: Please answer my question.

Until you do, I will presume it is because if you honestly answered the question I asked you it would reveal a double standard that you, personally, are uncomfortable with, and are too craven to want to answer it.

Second: I am not offering "cover" to sexual abuse and those who engage in it. How dare you suggest something so abominable.

I believe that having proof of accusations is important. Now maybe you are Caucasian and have never considered the history of racism, but there was a time when accusations without proof were used to lynch African American men.

It is this long history of racism and rushing to condemn people on mere accusation that leads me to believe in the importance of having proof before being willing to condemn someone for an accusation.

Now I know the difference between "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" and "preponderance of evidence", and I don't personally require "proof beyond a reasonable doubt", but I personally require more evidence than just witness testimony before I'll personally condemn someone over accusations. Belief in guilt based only on the testimony of an accuser is what got African American men lynched.

The practice of using only accusations as evidence has a long history of racism, and thus I cannot abide by that practice. If you are okay with using such a practice of condemnation mired in a racist past, that's on you.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Regarding Swiftboat, veterans I know despised Kerry for his gaming
the system for undeserved medals & early release from duty.
To pretend being a hero worked against him. He gambled & lost.
I notice that you skipped over the birtherism part.

I don't know much about Kerry's service record because I didn't care. Nobody I knew did either, they were all basing their opinions on whatever news echo chamber that they had Faith in. One of the few things I was confident of was that Kerry actually did fight in combat and Bush didn't.
I didn't need to know anything about it though, because I had Bush's track record to evaluate on it's own merits. Blowing up the middle east, trashing the economy, sending the federal deficit through the stratosphere with "spend but don't tax" policies.....

I would have voted for Tammy Fay Bakker before I would vote Bush.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Perhaps you have an advanced law degree but, and correct me if I am wrong, but the "preponderance of evidence" only applies in a civil case. A criminal case still requires proof and an assumption innocence. Not sure if any lawsuits have been filed in these cases.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
An election is not the same as a trial, and with the former, whom we may believe in or more with is often the deciding factor for probably most voters. IOW, "innocent until proven guilty" is not likely the thinking of most voters prior to voting.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Because I found that claim bogus.
I saw no evidence Obama wasn't born in HI.
Trump was making the claim up until September 2016.
That lie was in addition to more important lies, such as about his tax returns and healthcare and Russian connections.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trump was making the claim up until September 2016.
That lie was in addition to more important lies, such as about his tax returns and healthcare and Russian connections.
Tom
Well....OK then.....
(I think we've already some common ground regarding Trump's difficulties with being factual.)