• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanctuary Cities.

Faithofchristian

Sanctuary Cities - Wikipedia
https://en.m. Wikipedia.org/wk/sanctuary_city

"The movement that established Sanctuary cities in the United States, by the DNC began in the early 1980s.

The movement traces it's roots to religious philosophy, as well as in histories of resistance movement to State injustices"

"Berkeley, Near San Francisco, is reportedly the original Sanctuary City.
It passed a resolution in
November 7th 1971, that protected sailors who wanted to resist the Vietnam war"

But when was the first Sanctuary cities established, to be a place of Refuge?

The movement traces it's roots to religious philosophy.

In the Bible in the book of
Numbers Chapter 35, We find Sanctuary cities a place of Refuge, to date back to
3 to 4 thousand years ago. To the time of Moses in the book of
Numbers Chapter 35.

Verses 9 -- 12,
"And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When you be come over Jordan into the land of Canaan; Then you shall appoint you cities, to be cities of refuge for you: that the Slayer may flee there, which killeth any person at accidentally, And they be unto you cities for refuge from the avengers; Until he stand before the congregation in judgment"

Where as to day the DNC has turned the sanctuary Cities into a Safe Haven for Criminals, that come here with criminal backgrounds. This is not what the Sanctuary cities were intended for. The Sanctuary city, were for those who evaded the draft back in 1971, until they were brought to the Federal Court. For their evasion of the draft. But as it was, by the time they were to go the Federal Court, the war was over. And set free.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sanctuary Cities - Wikipedia
https://en.m. Wikipedia.org/wk/sanctuary_city

"The movement that established Sanctuary cities in the United States, by the DNC began in the early 1980s.

The movement traces it's roots to religious philosophy, as well as in histories of resistance movement to State injustices"

"Berkeley, Near San Francisco, is reportedly the original Sanctuary City.
It passed a resolution in
November 7th 1971, that protected sailors who wanted to resist the Vietnam war"

But when was the first Sanctuary cities established, to be a place of Refuge?

The movement traces it's roots to religious philosophy.

In the Bible in the book of
Numbers Chapter 35, We find Sanctuary cities a place of Refuge, to date back to
3 to 4 thousand years ago. To the time of Moses in the book of
Numbers Chapter 35.

Verses 9 -- 12,
"And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When you be come over Jordan into the land of Canaan; Then you shall appoint you cities, to be cities of refuge for you: that the Slayer may flee there, which killeth any person at accidentally, And they be unto you cities for refuge from the avengers; Until he stand before the congregation in judgment"

Where as to day the DNC has turned the sanctuary Cities into a Safe Haven for Criminals, that come here with criminal backgrounds. This is not what the Sanctuary cities were intended for. The Sanctuary city, were for those who evaded the draft back in 1971, until they were brought to the Federal Court. For their evasion of the draft. But as it was, by the time they were to go the Federal Court, the war was over. And set free.

The problem I see with Calif is its stance of total refusal to consider deportation of anyone. Criminal record or otherwise.

Law enforcement by its nature is usually dealing with the criminal element of society. While there are Dreamers and otherwise deceit folks just trying to get through life the best they can. There are also criminals we really don't want here. It'd be nice if we could deport all criminals, how about North Korea?, but we can't with legal citizens.

Maybe the threat of deportation and serious prevention of any kind of citizenship would deter a few of the folks who are not here legally from commiting crimes in the first place.

With criminals, let the Feds do their jobs. Folks who are otherwise law abiding, focus on helping them.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When there is an immoral government tearing families apart and putting young children in different prisons from mothers to rot for who knows how long as cases work through the court system, it is the duty of those who believe in "truth, justice and the American way" to oppose those evil deeds with all the power they possess. Evil has to be opposed and vanquished.

I'm not Catholic or even Christian, but I stand with Pope Francis when it comes to treating the dispossessed. I stand with the American ideal expressed in the New Colossus poem
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

I am my brother's keeper.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I’d like to see the evidence that sanctuary cities ignore violent offenders. Those types normally get deported, maybe they get deported seven times but that’s a border patrol issue. When they say they “harbor criminals” it is in reference to the fact that being an immigrant is technically illegal. So they call them illegals. Anyhow I didn’t find much on the technicalities in case anyone want to enlighten me.

Faithofchristian

When there is an immoral government tearing families apart and putting young children in different prisons from mothers to rot for who knows how long as cases work through the court system, it is the duty of those who believe in "truth, justice and the American way" to oppose those evil deeds with all the power they possess. Evil has to be opposed and vanquished.

I'm not Catholic or even Christian, but I stand with Pope Francis when it comes to treating the dispossessed. I stand with the American ideal expressed in the New Colossus poem

That doesn't mean, the the United States is a place for Criminals, so those should be deported back to the Country where they came from.

If you break the law, you go to court, depending on what you did, you can face jail.
Now for those coming here, by breaking the law, Do you think it's right, that they should be set free, all the while you face jail for breaking the law. What's up with all that Go Figure.

Faithofchristian

I’d like to see the evidence that sanctuary cities ignore violent offenders. Those types normally get deported, maybe they get deported seven times but that’s a border patrol issue. When they say they “harbor criminals” it is in reference to the fact that being an immigrant is technically illegal. So they call them illegals. Anyhow I didn’t find much on the technicalities in case anyone want to enlighten me.

Where have you been, in wonder land or what, all you have to do is look at all those Sanctuary cities. That are harboring criminals.
No it's Government of that State, when they are arrested and that State Governor sets them free again.

Border patrol arrests them, then the State tells them set them free again.

So it's not a border patrol issue, but the State issue.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Where have you been, in wonder land or what, all you have to do is look at all those Sanctuary cities. That are harboring criminals.
No it's Government of that State, when they are arrested and that State Governor sets them free again.

Violent offenders should be arrested and tried. If convicted they serve their sentence and if undocumented, they can be deported upon completion of their sentence. It is really pretty simple.

You are conflating a lack of documentation with criminality, a standard that the American Indians would love to apply to your (and my) ancestors and to us retroactively.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I don’t think that’s true. Do you have evidence? The example I looked up said a murderer had previously been deported seven times which doesn’t sound much like harboring violent offenders. They are not just going to set a murderer free lol.

Faithofchristian

I don’t think that’s true. Do you have evidence? The example I looked up said a murderer had been deported seven times which doesn’t sound much like harboring violent offenders.

Then why didn't that State do something about it, seeing they were deported seven times, because there are State that has capture and release. So the border patrol captures, then the State tells the border patrol to release them, so over and over it goes seven times or more.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Then why didn't that State do something about it, seeing they were deported seven times, because there are State that has capture and release. So the border patrol captures, then the State tells the border patrol to release them, so over and over it goes seven times or more.
Deportation means they got sent to their country and they managed to get back in. Sanctuary cities do not ignore violent offenses. If someone is a murder in either country they certainly don’t get released, they get prison transport from one countries prison to the other countries prison, when its Mexico especially.

Faithofchristian

Deportation means they got sent to their country and they managed to get back in. Sanctuary cities do not ignore violent offenses. If someone is a murder in either country they certainly don’t get released, they get prison transport from one countries prison to the other countries prison, when its Mexico especially.

So what happen in the case of Kate Stein, her murder in California was set free, and he was deported what 9 times. But the State of California set him free.and she died in her dad's arms.and he had a criminal record. So what's that all about.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Exactly, and I find it truly pathetic that there are those who claim to be pro-family, and yet they worry not that families are being torn apart as we speak.

Yes, we need to protect our borders, but what this country is lacking is a well-established work-visa program that encourages legal immigration and a pathway to citizenship if they keep working and keep their nose "clean", along with educational opportunities and help for their children. The program we now have in place is inadequate for our needs and their needs along these lines.

I was involved to only a limited extent with trying to help the undocumented here in s.e. Michigan as I was involved with the United Farm Workers Ministry, and how these people are being taken advantage of is so utterly pathetic. They pick our crops (etc.); we benefit by having low costs at the marketplace; we don't arrest and heavily fine or imprison the owners that don't obey the law; and then we blame it all on the undocumented. What putrid nonsense is that? Where are the "family values"? Where is the "love of Christ"? Where is even basic decency?

We benefit for what they do for us, and then we dump on them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
BTW, for those who claim they believe in the Bible, just a reminder that "sanctuary cities" are found within it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So what happen in the case of Kate Stein, her murder in California was set free, and he was deported what 9 times. But the State of California set him free.and she died in her dad's arms.and he had a criminal record. So what's that all about.

Ok, but...

In Trump's first year, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 109,000 criminals and 46,000 people without criminal records -- a 171% increase in the number of non-criminal individuals arrested over 2016.

How Trump changed the rules to arrest more non-criminal immigrants - CNNPolitics

How do you feel about the deportation of folks who aren't otherwise breaking the law?

Trump may not specifically being targeting them, but if they are found to be here illegally, they get deported which the rest.

idav

Being
Premium Member
What do you want people to do when the courts drop the charges? If he had been deported nine times obviously the guy is just getting back in. Those are justice system issues and border patrol issues. That has little or nothing to do with it being a sanctuary city or the guy wouldn't have nine deportations.

The "Kate law" is trying to doing something thats already being done. What does "increase the penalties for returning immigrants" even mean, get deported again?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think States should have the right to govern themselves exclusively. If they want Sanctuary cities, let them.

However, uncooperative States should be denied a portion of Federal funding if they decide to reject Federal policy.

Faithofchristian

Ok, but...

In Trump's first year, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 109,000 criminals and 46,000 people without criminal records -- a 171% increase in the number of non-criminal individuals arrested over 2016.

How Trump changed the rules to arrest more non-criminal immigrants - CNNPolitics

How do you feel about the deportation of folks who aren't otherwise breaking the law?

Trump may not specifically being targeting them, but if they are found to be here illegally, they get deported which the rest.

Those people who broke the law, when they came here illegally. So if they or their family suffer, then they should haved thought more about the consequences, before they broke the law to get here.

It's evidence they did know what would happen if they got caught, otherwise they wouldn't be hidding out from the immigration authorities.Now would they ?
So they brought suffering on themselves and their families themselves.
By not doing it legal.

There are people who are waiting in line to get their Citizenship. Do you think it's fair to them, their complaining to that it's not fair, for them to have to Waite in line for weeks.
Do you think its fair to them, to Waite weeks and have someone cut in line in front of them

suncowiam

Sanctuary cities are setting up a precedence to disobey future laws. This goes for red states too.

We have to pick and choose our battles.

DACA seems really unfair concerning minors so I would fight for dreamers.

However, I can't fight for other illegal immigrants. I empathize with their struggles but I find it unfair that they're cutting in line with other potential legal immigrants. If they want to come here, they should do the same thing all legal immigrants are required to do.

Faithofchristian

What do you want people to do when the courts drop the charges? If he had been deported nine times obviously the guy is just getting back in. Those are justice system issues and border patrol issues. That has little or nothing to do with it being a sanctuary city or the guy wouldn't have nine deportations.

The "Kate law" is trying to doing something thats already being done. What does "increase the penalties for returning immigrants" even mean, get deported again?

Where do you think he ran to. He ran right to the Sanctuary cities in California where he found protection, and that's right where Kate got shot at.and because Sanctuary City protection clause, he got off.Thats what's got to change. But the Governor of California is fighting against it.
All because democrats would lose votes.

Why do you suppose democrats fight against voter ID, because they would lose their illegal immigrant votes. That's why.

Faithofchristian

Sanctuary cities are setting up a precedence to disobey future laws. This goes for red states too.

We have to pick and choose our battles.

DACA seems really unfair concerning minors so I would fight for dreamers.

However, I can't fight for other illegal immigrants. I empathize with their struggles but I find it unfair that they're cutting in line with other potential legal immigrants. If they want to come here, they should do the same thing all legal immigrants are required to do.

So you would fight for Dreamers, so what about the American Dreamers ? Or Do you think of them as second class Dreamers ?