• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sanaa Quran vs. Uthman Quran

InvestigateTruth

According to Muslim traditions, the current standard Quran, was selected by Uthman, the khalif of the Time. Uthman selected this Quran out of 14 Quran copies, and then ordered to burn all the other copies. So, seems like Theoretically no one knows how those other 13 copies were different. But probably they were different, and Uthman did not want those different versions of Quran remain.

In more recent years, a manuscript of Quran has been found in Sanaa, which is a city in Yemen.
the Manuscript is known as the Sanaa manuscript:

Sanaa manuscript - Wikipedia

We can see, although there are many differences between the Sanaa manuscript and the Uthman but these differences does not really make any significant differences. Though in some verses, a word or two are different, or there are words in Sanaa manuscript verses, which are not in the corresponding verses, in the Uthman Quran.

However, the question is, beside just believing through faith that the current Uthman version is really the one revealed by Allah, and is 100% words of Allah, is there a proof for this? Why the Sanaa manuscript cannot be the true verses?

Some scholars have even said, that, it is possible that the Sanaa manuscript be the real Uthman Quran, and that the current standard Quran was an altered version of the Quran sometime later. How do we know?

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
However, the question is, beside just believing through faith that the current Uthman version is really the one revealed by Allah, and is 100% words of Allah, is there a proof for this? Why the Sanaa manuscript cannot be the true verses?
There is proof available. We all have access to the Truth. IF we work hard (Spiritually). That is the only useful proof to me

For me it's not important if a Scripture is from God 100% or just 90% (or 50%)

Because God gave me Common Sense and Discrimination, so that I know where and how to access Truth (Akasha Chronicles)

The Akasha chronicle is the spiritual world memory, the Akasha material, in which the spiritual researcher can read the events of the most distant past - not, however, as they occurred directly on the outside, but from the side of the inner soul experience. Contents 1 World memory in the Western tradition 2 Characteristics of the Akasha chronicle

Some scholars have even said, that, it is possible that the Sanaa manuscript be the real Uthman Quran, and that the current standard Quran was an altered version of the Quran sometime later. How do we know?
See the above. It's simple, BUT not easy

We need to purify ourselves. The purer our antenna, the better we receive Truth. Vegetarian diet is very useful, this I know. And living in moderation also. Faith in "God" too. Develop Love for God and Creation. Not easy to achieve, but the best challenge in life (for me)

danieldemol

Premium Member
@InvestigateTruth
Why is this in Quranic debates?
They are two different books, it would be like sticking an argument between the Quran and the Bible in scriptural debates.

No reconciliation would be possible.

I recommend asking the mods to move it to religious debates.

In my opinion.

InvestigateTruth

There is proof available. We all have access to the Truth. IF we work hard (Spiritually). That is the only useful proof to me

For me it's not important if a Scripture is from God 100% or just 90% (or 50%)

Because God gave me Common Sense and Discrimination, so that I know where and how to access Truth (Akasha Chronicles)

See the above. It's simple, BUT not easy

We need to purify ourselves. The purer our antenna, the better we receive Truth. Vegetarian diet is very useful, this I know. And living in moderation also. Faith in "God" too. Develop Love for God and Creation. Not easy to achieve, but the best challenge in life (for me)
Right, but in the Quran, it is said, Allah protects Quran. So, now, if the Quran is only 90% word of God, can we still say God protected it? Or God protected it only 90%?

InvestigateTruth

@InvestigateTruth
Why is this in Quranic debates?
They are two different books, it would be like sticking an argument between the Quran and the Bible in scriptural debates.

No reconciliation would be possible.

I recommend asking the mods to move it to religious debates.

In my opinion.
They are both Quran. Just slightly different from each other. It is like two different versions of the Quran, having some minor differences. How do we know which version is the one Muhammad had revealed from Allah? That is the question.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Right, but in the Quran, it is said, Allah protects Quran. So, now, if the Quran is only 90% word of God, can we still say God protected it? Or God protected it only 90%?
IF "God" says something, we better think twice. It need not always mean what we think it means
Also humans wrote it down, they could have made this up

Allah protects Quran. Allah is the protector of everything, don't you think?
Very important is Truth and Dharma (righteousness)
Quran is about Truth and Righteousness
God protects those, so Quran too

And God allows Untruth and Adharma also to exist
So, I don't take these things too literally
Better first ask God what He means exactly with it

Sai Baba told us "I came to correct errors in the Scriptures"
Makes sense to me...imperfect humans wrote it down
Of course it can't be perfect (free from errors)
But there is no need for it to be perfect
Just enough to uplift humans

And when it's the right time, God will send a new messenger with new instructions
I always compare it to education. A child does not need to have lessons for a professor
It would totally mess up the child. Same with Messengers of God
They just bring what is needed for that time
Maybe some hidden jewels for those who "see"

danieldemol

Premium Member
They are both Quran. Just slightly different from each other. It is like two different versions of the Quran, having some minor differences. How do we know which version is the one Muhammad had revealed from Allah? That is the question.
Chances are both claim to be revelation from Allah, so it is a question that cannot be resolved through referencing scripture - hence it is a discussion which does not fit in Quranic debates which is a sub set of scriptural debates forum.

In my opinion.

InvestigateTruth

Chances are both claim to be revelation from Allah, so it is a question that cannot be resolved through referencing scripture - hence it is a discussion which does not fit in Quranic debates which is a sub set of scriptural debates forum.

In my opinion.
I know, you like everyone sees it, and more people participate. ;)
OK, i will ask them to move it.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Without having access to the reasoning of these scholars I would say we don't know.

But I think it casts doubt on the idea that the words of the Quran are divinely protected, and that too after the attempt of an ordinary human of no special guidance to burn all the variants.

In my opinion.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
"Two different Qurans" is an oxymoron.