• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Samkhya thread

The Crimson Universe

The only thing i know about samkhya, is that its a dualistic philosophy having Purusha (soul/self) and Prakriti (material nature) and i think they believe in many purushas. I'm not sure. They don't speak of any God but some assume that they're not completely atheistic either.

I came across a guy's post on another forum where he said that prakriti consists of 3 qualities. When these 3 qualities remain in equilibrium and doesn't dominate each other, creation dissolves or becomes unmanifest and is absorbed into primordial nature called pradhana or mula-prakriti. Its the invisible womb where everything rests in dormant state. Again, when the 3 qualities starts to dominate each other, manifestation/creation begins.

Sorry i don't really know from which scriptures these information were taken from.

Perhaps you can educate me more on this philosophy. :=)

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The only thing i know about samkhya, is that its a dualistic philosophy having Purusha (soul/self) and Prakriti (material nature) and i think they believe in many purushas. I'm not sure. They don't speak of any God but some assume that they're not completely atheistic either.

I came across a guy's post on another forum where he said that prakriti consists of 3 qualities. When these 3 qualities remain in equilibrium and doesn't dominate each other, creation dissolves or becomes unmanifest and is absorbed into primordial nature called pradhana or mula-prakriti. Its the invisible womb where everything rests in dormant state. Again, when the 3 qualities starts to dominate each other, manifestation/creation begins.

Sorry i don't really know from which scriptures these information were taken from.

Perhaps you can educate me more on this philosophy. :=)

Seems like a good summary to me. I'm still trying to work out exactly what purusha is - similar to Atman?
Wiki says purusha is "witness consciousness".
Britannica says purusha is "pure consciousness" and "eternal soul".

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

Seems like a good summary to me. I'm still trying to work out exactly what purusha is - similar to Atman?
Wiki says purusha is "witness consciousness".
Britannica says purusha is "pure consciousness" and "eternal soul".

As far as i know, words like Witness Consciousness or Pure Consciousness is usually used to refer to the Atman.
So, if wiki and britannica both says that purusha is WC or PC, then the samkhyaans while using the term 'Purusha' are probably referring to the Atman.

To the dualists Atman the WC, is many.
Each of us are a separate unique spark.
That's what the Hare Krishnas believe. Not sure about the samkhyaans.

To the non-dualists Atman/Brahman is one and limitless. It pervades all of its creation.
:=)

Martin

As far as i know, words like Witness Consciousness or Pure Consciousness is usually used to refer to the Atman.
So, if wiki and britannica both says that purusha is WC or PC, then the samkhyaans while using the term 'Purusha' are probably referring to the Atman.

To the dualists Atman the WC, is many.
Each of us are a separate unique spark.
That's what the Hare Krishnas believe. Not sure about the samkhyaans.

To the non-dualists Atman/Brahman is one and limitless. It pervades all of its creation.
:=)

I assume that in Samkhya there are many identical purushas/Atman, associated with individual jivas?

shivsomashekhar

Yes. Karika 18 speaks of multiple Purushas and the Purusha of Sankhya is similar to the Jivatma in Vedanta (particularly dualistic Vedanta).

Martin

Yes. Karika 18 speaks of multiple Purushas and the Purusha of Sankhya is similar to the Jivatma in Vedanta (particularly dualistic Vedanta).

Yes, it seems there are innumerable purushas in the Samkhya system. But is my purusha the same as yours, or different? If purusha is pure consciousness, does that mean it's impersonal, with lots of identical purushas?

shivsomashekhar

Yes, it seems there are innumerable purushas in the Samkhya system. But is my purusha the same as yours, or different? If purusha is pure consciousness, does that mean it's impersonal, with lots of identical purushas?

If you take the dualistic view - there are multiple units of consciousness - one per Purusha. Totally makes sense as the identity of the Purusha is eternal and persists beyond Kaivalya (the Sankhya equivalent of the Vedantic Moksha).

In the non-dual view (not Sankhya), there is only consciousness - yours. Other Purushas are part of your consciousness. Moksha takes a very different meaning here.