• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Samhain

Polarbear

Why is one of your holidays spelled samhain and pronounced so-ween? (Have I gotten the pronounciation right?)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the language it is derived from isn't English, it's Gaelic. Therefore it uses Gaelic pronunciation. It's like when you get French words converted to English.

Polarbear

Okay I wasn't aware of the correct pronounciation of those two holidays, thanks! Yule is easy to pronounce though. Also, fun fact, here in Norway it's what most people call Christmas actually.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I don't use the standard Pagan/Wiccan names for my holy days. The ridiculous pronunciation issues was a factor in the decision, but the major one was "why am I using names from specific cultures when I am not a reconstructionist?"

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
I love Lughnasadh!! Even though I don't really hold the wheel of the year anymore or work with many celtic dieties... I took three days off and have been chilling in rivers, having deep conversations with new friends, and now I'm headed out to lunch with an old one. I never really understood what that holiday was all about but now part of its person meaning for me is a time to take stock of all my successes and failures.. kind of a preamble planning session to whatever needs to be forged anew in the fires of Samhain. I think this weekend (including today) I may get away with spending the heat of each day submerged in a separate idyllic river.

Happy Lughnasadh to all.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Technically it fell on the 1st but many people will celebrate Sabbats for several days.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Yeah its the 1st of august but I play fast and loose with timing on the fire festivals.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, the date for the cross-quarter depends on what system you use. Most Neopagans use the fixed date, which yes, is August 1st. However, the true cross-quarter - the actual astronomical midpoint between Summer Solstice and Autumn Equinox - does not happen until August 7th. That's when I celebrate. In part because when I started making my own calendars, it irritated me that the tides weren't the same length. So I switched to the true cross-quarter so they are the same length, plus or minus a day.