• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Sex Marriage

Christian Pilgrim

Same Sex Marriage:

I want to hear and discuss different views in regards to same sex marriage. I would like to hear from all religious and secular views. As a Christian, the Scripture teaches that all sex outside of marriage is sin. The Apostle Paul tells us if we have no self-control as a single Christian, then we should marry. An obedient Christian is called to remain celibate until they are married. For the heterosexual or homosexual Christians, they are to remain celibate until they are married. So, what are your views in regards to same sex marriage? I have not made a conclusion either way; therefore, I want to hear all sincere views.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Same Sex Marriage:

I want to hear and discuss different views in regards to same sex marriage. I would like to hear from all religious and secular views. As a Christian, the Scripture teaches that all sex outside of marriage is sin. The Apostle Paul tells us if we have no self-control as a single Christian, then we should marry. An obedient Christian is called to remain celibate until they are married. For the heterosexual or homosexual Christians, they are to remain celibate until they are married. So, what are your views in regards to same sex marriage? I have not made a conclusion either way; therefore, I want to hear all sincere views.
What does the Bible say about whether Christians should force non-Christians to adhere to Christian doctrine?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Are you sure you don't want to plow through the many threads on this topic already in the forum?

Christian Pilgrim

What does the Bible say about whether Christians should force non-Christians to adhere to Christian doctrine?

I am not asking anyone to adhere to Christian doctrine. I would just appreciate your views on same sex marriages, regardless of your religious views. Let's please stick to the thread topic.

Christian Pilgrim

Are you sure you don't want to plow through the many threads on this topic already in the forum?

I would really appreciate it, if you don't mind. Since you are a lesbian, please share your view on same sex marriage. Do you advocate being commited in marriage to one person throughout your life?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am not asking anyone to adhere to Christian doctrine.
But I think that's what prohibition of same-sex marriage often comes down to. My point was just to call attention to the fact that a person can consider same-sex marriage to be against his or her religion without demanding that it be prohibited for everyone.

I would just appreciate your views on same sex marriages, regardless of your religious views. Let's please stick to the thread topic.
I'm in favour of legalizing same-sex marriage and giving all married couples the same rights, regardless of the genders involved. As for my own personal choices, I don't think my wife would appreciate it if I were to try to get married to a man. ;)

Christian Pilgrim

But I think that's what prohibition of same-sex marriage often comes down to. My point was just to call attention to the fact that a person can consider same-sex marriage to be against his or her religion without demanding that it be prohibited for everyone.

I'm in favour of legalizing same-sex marriage and giving all married couples the same rights, regardless of the genders involved. As for my own personal choices, I don't think my wife would appreciate it if I were to try to get married to a man. ;)

As you pointed out, I think same sex marriage is an easier call for secular people. I see your point much clearer, why should a religious belief define or limit a secular person to be married. I'm all for equal civil rights for gays and lesbians. I think the subject is more challenging for both hetrosexual and homosexual Christians.

For the secular gay or lesbian, why would it be important to be married through the state? I honestly want to hear all views without judgement or condemnation.

For the gay or lesbian Christians out there, do you think God honors same sex marriages, why or why not?

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
For the secular gay or lesbian, why would it be important to be married through the state? I honestly want to hear all views without judgement or condemnation.

Why is it important for any secular couple, gay, lesbian or hetero, to have a state sanctioned marriage?
One would not suggest that state sanctioned marriage is unimportant to the hetero couple. So why would it not have the same importance to a same sex couple?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For me, I think it was because of the tradition and social convention of marriage as a declaration of love and commitment. I love my wife and I'm committed to her, so it made sense to me to marry her. Also, marriage was important to my wife for religious reasons, and what's important to my wife is important to me.

In some places in the world, a couple needs to go through a wedding ceremony to get certain government benefits, but that's not the case in Canada: here, you're deemed married in the eyes of the law if you co-habitate with your partner for two years or live together with a child.

Christian Pilgrim

Why is it important for any secular couple, gay, lesbian or hetero, to have a state sanctioned marriage?
One would not suggest that state sanctioned marriage is unimportant to the hetero couple. So why would it not have the same importance to a same sex couple?

That's another excellent point. We all see things through our personal worldviews. From a Christian worldview, marriage is from God and parallels Christ being the bridegroom and the church being the bride. Therefore, why would it be important for secular couples to get married? The divorce rate is the same for both groups.

Let's follow that thought, why is it important for secular couples to get married?

Christian Pilgrim

For me, I think it was because of the tradition and social convention of marriage as a declaration of love and commitment. I love my wife and I'm committed to her, so it made sense to me to marry her. Also, marriage was important to my wife for religious reasons, and what's important to my wife is important to me.

In some places in the world, a couple needs to go through a wedding ceremony to get certain government benefits, but that's not the case in Canada: here, you're deemed married in the eyes of the law if you co-habitate with your partner for two years or live together with a child.

Okay, if I remember, didn't you marry a Christian? LOL.... not to be taken too seriously, but as a Christian, we are only suppose to marry Christians... according to the Bible. My mom was raised devout Christian and my dad was not, coming from a family who drank wiskey, gambled, and went to chicken fights on Sundays. I love both sides of my family lines!