• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sam Harris vs. Deepak Chopra

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Then you're really not informed enough to give an intelligent comment on the subject matter of this thread.

Just because I do not plan to listen or read in the future does not mean I have not listened or read in the past. You cannot gage how informed I am by a post on a forum.

Acintya_Ash

Bhakta
What exactly is the difference between Harris' worldview and Chopra's? As far as I can tell, both subscribe to a worldview that is basically in line with Advaita Vedanta.
Harris believes that Consciousness is a product of matter and this is not what Advaita teaches. Maybe he's more inclined towards the Buddhist philosophy.
Chopra believes everything springs from Consciousness, Advaita Vedanta!
Their worldviews are diametrically opposite.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Acintya_Ash ji

Harris believes that Consciousness is a product of matter and this is not what Advaita teaches. Maybe he's more inclined towards the Buddhist philosophy.
Chopra believes everything springs from Consciousness, Advaita Vedanta!
Their worldviews are diametrically opposite.

unfortunatly not , I do not take this th be Buddhist veiw either , ....although he may feel that he inclines more towards Buddhism , it would seam that he imputes his own reasoning in this instance ,.... unfortunatly Buddhism seems to be being stretched to fit many preconcived notions now that it has come out into the west , ....

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
unfortunatly not , I do not take this th be Buddhist veiw either , ....although he may feel that he inclines more towards Buddhism , it would seam that he imputes his own reasoning in this instance ,.... unfortunatly Buddhism seems to be being stretched to fit many preconcived notions now that it has come out into the west , ....

Or, perhaps (and far more likely) current social and intellectual circunstances have made the questioning of certain traditional misconceptions possible, thereby raising fears among certain traditionalist circles.

People are both allowed to and capable of learning better than their forefathers, Ratikala. I hope you learn that and take that lesson to heart eventually.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
.....unfortunately Buddhism seems to be being stretched to fit many preconceived notions now that it has come out into the west , ....

Buddhism is in the process of adapting to western culture, and has adapted to many different cultures over the last 2,500 years. If Buddhism managed to incorporate Bon shamanism in Tibet, I'm sure it can cope with some western secularism!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Indeed they do, or more accurately metaphysical claims are based on subjective experience. Unfortunately people like Chopra try to claim objectivity by using psuedo-science.
But did you read the rest of my post? I thought I presented some good thoughts for discussion.

Understanding reality is what matters to me; I don't give a hoot about the egos and possible personality foibles of Harris or Chopra; but if either says something interesting then that gets my attention.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Understanding reality is what matters to me; I don't give a hoot about the egos and possible personality foibles of Harris or Chopra; but if either says something interesting then that gets my attention.

I find Harris more interesting than Chopra. I don't get the sense that Harris is into Advaita though - I think he is what you'd call a secular Buddhist, somewhat similar to Stephen Batchelor in outlook.

Gambit

Harris believes that Consciousness is a product of matter and this is not what Advaita teaches.

No, this is not true.

The idea that brains produce consciousness is little more than an article of faith among scientists at present, and there are many reasons to believe that the methods of science will be insufficient to either prove or disprove it. (source: pg. 208, "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

Gambit

No, it's Dzogchen actually. That's a form of Tibetan Buddhism.

If Harris' spirituality is inspired by Dzogchen, then it is obviously inspired by Buddhism. :rolleyes:

Just as a side note. Buddhist scholar B. Alan Wallace characterizes the "Great Perfection" (Dzogchen) school of Buddhism as qualifying as monotheism.

In Vajrayana Buddhism in general, and the Great Perfection school in particular, the dharmakaya is variously personified as Samantabhadra, Vajradhara, and the Adibuddha, or Primordial Buddha, the source of all phenomena, yet it is not different from the buddha-nature of each sentient being in this regard. (source: p. 100, ""Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge" by B. Alan Wallace)

Thus, Vajrayana Buddhism presents the universe as a kind of theophany, including its own version of monotheism, that may be seen as evolving from but not identical to the views of the Theravada and Mahayana traditions. p. 104, ""Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge" by B. Alan Wallace)

Last edited:

Gambit

It's the Advaita bit I was querying. Though a lot of people do seem to confuse Buddhism with Advaita. ;)

I cited a source that clearly states that Harris' spirituality is based primarily on Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta. I am afraid that trumps your unsubstantiated counterclaim. (By the way, Buddhsim and Advaita are closely related.)