• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salvation Was Already Established In the Old Testament

I was a Christian for 14 years until I started running into theses kinds of BIG contradictions and problems within the bible itself. Be prepared to be mind blown.

There are plenty of bible verses in the OT about how God is acknowledged by the Jewish people as the one who is their "salvation" himself way before Jesus' time; Exodus 15:2, Psalm 65:5, Psalm 25:5, Isaiah 12:2, Psalm 62:1, Isaiah 45:15, Isaiah 60:16, Hosea 13:4, Psalm 3:8, Isaiah 52:10, Psalm 98:2, Isaiah 49:6, Psalm 118:14, 1 samuel 2:1, 2 Samuel 22:1-4, Psalm 18:46, Isaiah 33:22, Psalm 37:40.

This is just the start of it. For example, God chose Moses to lead Israel on the path to their God. Here's a great example of Moses speaking about God; Deuteronomy 31:30, Deuteronomy 32:1-16. Key verses; Deuteronomy 32:3-4 and Deuteronomy 32:15. Moses states that God is the rock and that he is the savior/salvation and that rejecting him leaves dire consequences as mentioned throughout all of deuteronomy 32.

God explicitly says in the OT, "I am the savior and there is no other besides me;" Isaiah 45:21-22 and Isaiah 43:11, "If you believe in me, you will be saved." "I will save you from your uncleannesses," Ezekiel 36:28-29. Some other things to note. Salvation in the OT is eternal for the jews; Isaiah 45:15-17.

The biggest nail in the coffin for the NT is that the OT saves you from the idea of "the sinful" already, as clearly mentioned in all of Psalm 37 all of the way up to Psalm 37:40 and complements Pslam 119:154-156 perfectly. So with all of that said and done, we can see that the idea of salvation was already abundantly established before Jesus existed.

The OT God forgives sin as well; Isaiah 43:25. God forgave the sin of a man without sacrifice which was unambiguously stated in Psalm 32:5-7. No need for a sacrificial lamb just prayer and confession. So prayer does actually work in the OT with the absolution of one's own sins.

This is a big problem for Christians and quite evidently disproves the whole idea of the "New Covenant."

This begs the question, what is the purpose of Jesus when God himself before Jesus' time already said that he is the ONLY savior and is perfectly capable of forgiving sins with prayer and confession before the NT even existed?

A second savior in the NT you say? But the OT God already said he is the first and ONLY savior. Plus he does indeed forgive sins without blood shed. Think about it.

Let's put all the pieces of evidence from the OT together that we have established thus far:
  1. Before Jesus, God himself said he was the savior and that there is no other besides him. And if you believe in him then you will be saved.

2. Before Jesus, Moses referred to God as the Rock and the savior.

3. Most OT iconic figures and OT prophets referred to God as their savior.

4. The OT God will save you from pretty much everything including wickedness, uncleanness, false idol worship and especially your enemies if you full heartedly believe in him and abide by at least his moral laws or in other words "10 Commandments."

5. If you pray to the OT god to forgive you of your sins he WILL forgive you, contrary to what Christians would have you believe which is that only Jesus will forgive sins. This is well, clearly not true.
In conclusion to all of this refutation against the concept of the "New Testament," I really don't see how Christians can keep propagatng this idea of Jesus as a savior to them when the OT God already established the very essence of salvation. It's just that Christians blatantly ignored the OT testament and did not thoroughly study it beforehand IMHO.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I was a Christian for 14 years until I started running into theses kinds of BIG contradictions and problems within the bible itself. Be prepared to be mind blown.

There are plenty of bible verses in the OT about how God is acknowledged by the Jewish people as the one who is their "salvation" himself way before Jesus' time; Exodus 15:2, Psalm 65:5, Psalm 25:5, Isaiah 12:2, Psalm 62:1, Isaiah 45:15, Isaiah 60:16, Hosea 13:4, Psalm 3:8, Isaiah 52:10, Psalm 98:2, Isaiah 49:6, Psalm 118:14, 1 samuel 2:1, 2 Samuel 22:1-4, Psalm 18:46, Isaiah 33:22, Psalm 37:40.

This is just the start of it. For example, God chose Moses to lead Israel on the path to their God. Here's a great example of Moses speaking about God; Deuteronomy 31:30, Deuteronomy 32:1-16. Key verses; Deuteronomy 32:3-4 and Deuteronomy 32:15. Moses states that God is the rock and that he is the savior/salvation and that rejecting him leaves dire consequences as mentioned throughout all of deuteronomy 32.

God explicitly says in the OT, "I am the savior and there is no other besides me;" Isaiah 45:21-22 and Isaiah 43:11, "If you believe in me, you will be saved." "I will save you from your uncleannesses," Ezekiel 36:28-29. Some other things to note. Salvation in the OT is eternal for the jews; Isaiah 45:15-17.

The biggest nail in the coffin for the NT is that the OT saves you from the idea of "the sinful" already, as clearly mentioned in all of Psalm 37 all of the way up to Psalm 37:40 and complements Pslam 119:154-156 perfectly. So with all of that said and done, we can see that the idea of salvation was already abundantly established before Jesus existed.

The OT God forgives sin as well; Isaiah 43:25. God forgave the sin of a man without sacrifice which was unambiguously stated in Psalm 32:5-7. No need for a sacrificial lamb just prayer and confession. So prayer does actually work in the OT with the absolution of one's own sins.

This is a big problem for Christians and quite evidently disproves the whole idea of the "New Covenant."

This begs the question, what is the purpose of Jesus when God himself before Jesus' time already said that he is the ONLY savior and is perfectly capable of forgiving sins with prayer and confession before the NT even existed?

A second savior in the NT you say? But the OT God already said he is the first and ONLY savior. Plus he does indeed forgive sins without blood shed. Think about it.

Let's put all the pieces of evidence from the OT together that we have established thus far:
  1. Before Jesus, God himself said he was the savior and that there is no other besides him. And if you believe in him then you will be saved.

2. Before Jesus, Moses referred to God as the Rock and the savior.

3. Most OT iconic figures and OT prophets referred to God as their savior.

4. The OT God will save you from pretty much everything including wickedness, uncleanness, false idol worship and especially your enemies if you full heartedly believe in him and abide by at least his moral laws or in other words "10 Commandments."

5. If you pray to the OT god to forgive you of your sins he WILL forgive you, contrary to what Christians would have you believe which is that only Jesus will forgive sins. This is well, clearly not true.
In conclusion to all of this refutation against the concept of the "New Testament," I really don't see how Christians can keep propagatng this idea of Jesus as a savior to them when the OT God already established the very essence of salvation. It's just that Christians blatantly ignored the OT testament and did not thoroughly study it beforehand IMHO.
You’re missing the whole point of Christian theology.