• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salvation by logic?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
oracle said:
I think the original message of Jesus was a message of an Infinite love that Unites all mankind as one whole. The sickness is the cause of the division between mankind. Jesus knew God's love, and his purpose was to share that with the world. The sickness would be the lack of this knowledge, a lack of knowing who God is, what true love is, and the personal connection that we can have with God. It is the lack of knowledge that God is everything and everywhere, He is everything that exists..
The question in the original post is what would happen to christianity if it promoted logic and sound reasoning as the means of salvation. Do you believe that logic and sound reasoning alone are enough to save us from the ignorance that you describe?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Master Vigil said:
Back then, I suppose reason and logic was based in superstition and religious views that were seen as fact. Things are just different now.
The same accusation of "superstition" could be levied against Taoism by someone who didn't believe.

No*s

Captain Obvious
oracle said:
Specificaly what kind of Orthodoxy are you No*s?

I'm Eastern Orthodox, not Oriental. As for the ethnic jurisdictions, the big differance between Russian and Greek is that one drinks vodka and the other ouza :). So, I normally don't specify past "Orthodox." I will say "Orthodox Catholic" when discussing "Roman Catholicism" to differentiate our two branches, but other than that...just Orthodox.

The sites http://www.orthodoxinfo.com and http://www.fatheralexander.org has some good texts on it.

oracle

lilithu said:
The question in the original post is what would happen to christianity if it promoted logic and sound reasoning as the means of salvation. Do you believe that logic and sound reasoning alone are enough to save us from the ignorance that you describe?
I think in terms of having a rational and logical mind that is able to discern truth from self-deception, that is part of it. I guess you can say I'm not Gnostic, according to No*s, I have my own theology. Actually my belief would be that it's not just a mental matter, but a physical, mental, and spiritual one, they are imperfections that cause mankind to self-divide and self-destruct. I can explain that whole part of my theology, but I'm not sure if I should do that because of one simple question. Part of it is also gaining awareness of our situation, it's about pointing out the weeds in the field so they look conspicuous so we can bundle them up, it's about being rational and peaceful minds that overcome our selfish needs and solve our issues by studying the core root of our problems. It's not about me, it's about we, and that through Christ we are unified, [and that wholeness is the redemption], if mankind functioned as one body and one spirit, one whole family, because God's love is infinite, sufficient for everyone that we can all share, and nothing finite can stand in the way. The lack of knowledge is that we are all pieces and parts of God, we are one body, we are all God's children, and that God is infinitely everything and everywhere, no worldy doctrine, no possessions, no status can come in between.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
oracle said:
I think in terms of having a rational and logical mind that is able to discern truth from self-deception, that is part of it. I guess you can say I'm not Gnostic, according to No*s, I have my own theology. Actually my belief would be that it's not just a mental matter, but a physical, mental, and spiritual one, they are imperfections that cause mankind to self-divide and self-destruct. I can explain that whole part of my theology, but I'm not sure if I should do that because of one simple question. Part of it is also gaining awareness of our situation, it's about pointing out the weeds in the field so they look conspicuous so we can bundle them up, it's about being rational and peaceful minds that overcome our selfish needs and solve our issues by studying the core root of our problems. It's not about me, it's about we, and that through Christ we are unified, [and that wholeness is the redemption], if mankind functioned as one body and one spirit, one whole family, because God's love is infinite, sufficient for everyone that we can all share, and nothing finite can stand in the way. The lack of knowledge is that we are all pieces and parts of God, we are all God's children, and that God is infinitely everything and everywhere.

Speaking in broad strokes, your beliefs are similar to mine.

The point that I was trying to make with my original post is that logic and sound reasoning alone are not enough to attain "salvation." They are part of the way but not all of it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, here's my input, for what it is worth.
The original question was quote:-[Suppose that Christianity had spent the last 2000 years preaching that salvation came, not from faith in Jesus, but from employing sound reason and logic? How would the world have been changed by that doctrine? Could Christianity ever have become a popular religion if it had required it's adherents to employ sound reason and logic? What do you think?]

Pesumably we would'nt Worship 'Logic'; the act of worship brings people together,and includes singing (Which, if nothing else is good for the lungs and in relieving stress).
I can't see logic allowing emotion; because emotion is not logical.

I'll keep to my system thanks; I don't think that a civilization brought up on logic would be much fun!!:jiggy::jiggy:

Modern day "christianity" has deluted the New Testament to nothing more than a "feel good" book. Examine the way it is written and it has a structure much like other books of logic or philosophy. It was originally intended to the a way of living and thinking, not all the arm waving emotional highs it is today.