• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salt Lake City mayor is green in very red state

jonny

I guess that goes to show that the environment isn't completely a "blue state" issue. Utah still has a long way to go, but this is a state filled with people who love nature and love being outside in it. I have never been anywhere like it and I'm glad to see that Rocky has done something good. The people here are willing to support environmental issues...they just need a little prodding. It helps to introduce them on a day when the inversion is really bad. The air gets disgusting in the winter here.

I might think Rocky was a good mayor if he didn't spend so much time trying to get more bars and strip clubs downtown Salt Lake. Because of that, I just put him in the category of "ok".

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
I might think Rocky was a good mayor if he didn't spend so much time trying to get more bars and strip clubs downtown Salt Lake. Because of that, I just put him in the category of "ok".
I wouldn't vote for Rocky if he were running against Hillary! :D

jonny

The article mentions that people voted to increase their sales tax in order to get light rail in their neighboorhoods. That passed pretty easily in Utah County - likely the most conservative county in the entire country.

jonny

Katzpur said:
I wouldn't vote for Rocky if he were running against Hillary! :D

Every city needs more bars and strip clubs and they should show them off to the world! :)

I do think he's done some good things up there. The city has been cleaned up a lot in the past years and I think that the light rail is a good thing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Rocky is the third or fourth Democratic mayor in a row for Salt Lake City, which is the capital city of the most Republican State in the Nation. I've really liked all of them -- except Rocky -- a lot. Unfortunately I can't vote for mayor of Salt Lake City, since I am not technically a resident of the city, but of Cottonwood Heights, which is just outside the city limits.

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
Rocky is the third or fourth Democratic mayor in a row for Salt Lake City, which is the capital city of the most Republican State in the Nation. I've really liked all of them -- except Rocky -- a lot. Unfortunately I can't vote for mayor of Salt Lake City, since I am not technically a resident of the city, but of Cottonwood Heights, which is just outside the city limits.
Salt Lake isn't very representative of Utah.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Since this is the Green Room and not Political Debates..... is the Salt Lake City Green program one that other cities can and should implement?

jonny

Green Gaia said:
Since this is the Green Room and not Political Debates..... is the Salt Lake City Green program one that other cities can and should implement?
I don't see why not. They are mostly changing lightbulbs and adding light rail. The problem is that, from my limited understanding, this is focused on the government mostly. Why not have a program which does more to encourage citizens? Why hasn't Rocky Anderson introduced a mandatory curbside recycling program in Salt Lake for example? Why don't they get funding to get free lightbulbs to give out to people to get them used to using them. Once the people see the benefits and how much energy they save, they may just start using them on their own.

I'm glad he's done something, but he could do a lot more.