• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salman Rushdie Attacked in NYC

ronki23

I don't understand the Satanic Verses controversy. As far as I know its a fictional book where the characters have the same name as Muhammad's wives ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't understand the Satanic Verses controversy. As far as I know its a fictional book where the characters have the same name as Muhammad's wives ?
Muslims declared jihad on him and decreed to kill him.

I guess for Muslims, it was just too insulting on Mohammed to let the man live.

Vee

Premium Member
I'm surprised it hasn't happened before. I tried to read the Satanic Verses years ago but found it too boring to go on.
With Salmon being attacked, people who've never heard of him before are going to get curious and buy his books, thus getting familiar with his work. His attacker didn't think this through.
I hope Salmon will be okay.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm surprised it hasn't happened before. I tried to read the Satanic Verses years ago but found it too boring to go on.
With Salmon being attacked, people who've never heard of him before are going to get curious and buy his books, thus getting familiar with his work. His attacker didn't think this through.
I hope Salmon will be okay.
It sounds like he will be. Shame it might affect future public appearances, but when your dealing with crazy religious fanatics, one has to make appropriate accommodations. A result of one becoming murtad in some Islamic sects.

One thing is his exclamation that he's a hard-core atheist.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Just watched Midnight's Children on TV last night - the 2012 version if there are any others. Very good I thought. I hadn't read any of his works. I hope he pulls through OK, but he seems to have suffered some severe injuries. Just stupidity for anyone to do this. :oops:

Edited.

Last edited:

ronki23

Gee wiz ... such unclarity might even drive a person to Google (or even read) The Satanic Verses controversy - a link I found by doing a search on ...

wait for it ...​

"satanic verses controversy."​

These forums are an alternative to googling. There is less waffle

waffles-waffle.gif

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish Rushdie as much recovery as can be achieved in this situation. I haven't read his books, nor do I generally agree with blanketly anti-religious sentiment, but he has the full right to voice his opinions on religion without fear of violence since he hasn't threatened or incited harm against anyone.

I hope authorities prosecute the attacker to the maximum extent of the law.