• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saint Mary Goretti: a story of rape

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The definition of a martyr is someone who dies for their beliefs.
So,
If somebody blows themselves up on the steps of the White House ...
Because they oppose Trump's immigration policy and believe that they are saving far more than one human being by dying,
you would agree that they're a martyr?
Tom

74x12

So,
If somebody blows themselves up on the steps of the White House ...
Because they oppose Trump's immigration policy and believe that they are saving far more than one human being by dying,
you would agree that they're a martyr?
Tom
Hmm ... first reaction by me is to say yes even though they're martyrs for a silly reason.

But then I thought about it and realized there is a difference between someone killing themselves and someone like Mary Goretti who refused to back down from her beliefs even though it meant her death.

On one hand the person actively seeks death for their weird political cause and on the other hand the person passively refuses to compromise their beliefs even if it means death.

Technically speaking, by dictionary definition both are martyrs; but anyone can easily see that one is far better than the other who is a mere terrorist.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Her story is grotesque. I do not see a child not wanting to be raped by a grown man and then getting murdered for it to be a cause for canonization. Leave it to the Catholic Church to make it into some holy thing.

74x12

Saving the lives of thousands of "the least" is silly?
You are such a Republican Christian.
Tom
They will die if USA doesn't let them over the border? Seriously?

Where do we draw the line? The whole 3rd world can't come to America!

Why should the USA let South Americans in and keep Asians or Africans out that want into the USA and come from even poorer countries? So, just because they're geographically closer to us they get in without obeying the immigration rules?

It's virtually unsustainable to let everyone in and our debt is already in the trillions. We would be bankrupt if the rest of the world didn't have some faith in our businesses and industries! That's the probably the main reason the world turns a blind eye to our crazy debt level; because they think eventually we can pay it.

I hope you would not support a terrorist act just because Americans want to keep their border sovereign.