• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sadistic deities: a what-if question

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've seen a plot in video games and fan games that goes something like this:

1. The main characters become gods. For this example, let's picture it's by means of the god running the universe making them equally powerful gods.

2. The god which runs the universe is very efficient and achieves the status quo, but is also sadistic - think, they created the universe to make some humans suffer because they like to watch it unfold.

3. This evil intent goes against the moral values of the main characters. They then have to make the choice of whether to fall this god or leave them be.

4. What later often happens in the games is that the main characters do fall this god, then realize how much responsibility it is to run the universe, and they have to do it, because no one else will.

My question is, is falling such a god, if they witnessed them do things like kill innocent people for pleasure sometimes, a moral thing to do? And would it be the smart thing to do assuming that that god is powerful enough that going against them but not falling them, is too dangerous? So it's either be with this god or be against them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Fall is a nice way of saying destroy, execute, make sleep with the fishes, etc.

So, just like the Romans rejected Jupiter, Mars, and the rest of that crew in favor of a new god? Does a god die when no one believes in it anymore?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You're making me spell it out.

In the OP, I was talking about characters physically offing the god.

I'm not trying to be contentious. I'm actually fascinated by the idea of "offing a god," but I'm just not sure how it would work.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm not trying to be contentious. I'm actually fascinated by the idea of "offing a god," but I'm just not sure how it would work.

My thoughts on the matter were overly simplistic. In the video games I've played, they just off them like they would a human.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Framing things in moral terms is largely absent from my worldview. I frame things in terms of values or character, something sometimes called virtue ethics. Instead of asking "is such and such right or wrong" you ask "is such and such in keeping with the sort of person I want to be known as in terms of values I uphold and the character I wish to cultivate?" Consequently, this also means dualism is largely absent from my worldview - I don't frame things in "good" and "evil" terms either. I don't like simplistic, binary thinking because it prevents folks from seeing the third, forth, fifth, etc., options and perspectives that are out there.

And there are third, fourth, fifth, etc., options in this scenario. You could just... you know... be of service to people in other ways under the rule of these supposedly evil gods. That's what I would do. I don't care if that is the "moral" choice or not, that's what would be in keeping with my character.

Heyo

Veteran Member

1. The main characters become gods. For this example, let's picture it's by means of the god running the universe making them equally powerful gods.

2. The god which runs the universe is very efficient and achieves the status quo, but is also sadistic - think, they created the universe to make some humans suffer because they like to watch it unfold.

3. This evil intent goes against the moral values of the main characters. They then have to make the choice of whether to fall this god or leave them be.

4. What later often happens in the games is that the main characters do fall this god, then realize how much responsibility it is to run the universe, and they have to do it, because no one else will.

My question is, is falling such a god, if they witnessed them do things like kill innocent people for pleasure sometimes, a moral thing to do? And would it be the smart thing to do assuming that that god is powerful enough that going against them but not falling them, is too dangerous? So it's either be with this god or be against them.
In most moral systems and surely in mine, self defence or defence of others is morally permitted if not required. So, killing the god during an immoral act is moral or at least amoral.
But to keep with the golden rule the character should also elevate another to godhood so that s/he may kill her/him if the power gets to her/his head.

MNoBody

those would be demi-deities, lesser deities, and the video game creators undoubtedly lifted this idea whole from the field of ontology where these demi-deity pantheons are continuously depicted warring and scheming, like superheroes of the marvel universe, and at times lesser beings, mortals are embroiled in these conflicts, which is a resurrection of old tropes and memes, refried in new techno sauce, and they make very engaging and epic video game fodder.