• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacred texts... their revelation and challenge!

pearl

Many people of religion take the words of their book(s) as Truth; others have looked and found truth within themselves and can enjoy their book(s) as an expression of that which they recognise, just as 'secular' people enjoy poetry.

I think you have raised a very important point in any attempt to understand the ancient mindset expressed in these sacred writings and their impact in the 21st century. You suggested a likeness to poetry. I would go further, much truth of sacred texts is found in the poets.
Many today question whether Abraham was an historical person and dismiss any relevance to truth. What if Abram was a symbol through which the poets express man's becoming; 'Go from your country?' And Abram asked ' whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?' And he said unto him Take me an heifer of three years old.......' And it came to pass that when the sun went down and it was dark, a smoking furnace and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces. In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram...'Unto thy seed have I given this land........'
Abram went to Egypt where Akhenaton had introduced monism.

whirlingmerc

I think a problem but also a strength might be the relative uncertainty of the origin of some texts
One of the earliest settings of the Bible is Job
He's from Uz but where's that and he isn't a Jew
we don't know with certainty who wrote it
but maybe this is a strength... the book applies to all mankind as we all struggle with various sufferings
and placing it in any definite setting might make it feel a little less universal?

The strange case of Job, poster child of the proverbially wise

whirlingmerc

Good place to start Carl! Thanks for the input... It occurred to me to ask you how similar are the words "image of God" and "God speaks words"... I know for me "image of God" may have a symbolic meaning as well as the words "God speaks words". Maybe it could be that in that mystical experience say in Moses the words come through in Hebrew because that was the language of Moses. Well anyway I pose it to you... Thanks again for your post Carl!

There are various reasons as people grasp at meaning and purpose and significance in life.
The religions of China tend to promote harmony
The religions of India tend to avoid pain
The religious of the middle east tend to grapple with the question of God Himself

If a scripture is from God Himself then one would need signs that the scripture is from a God who would act for the fame of His name in writing the book, some signs of that such as quality, good fruit in the lives of followers, signs and wonders possibly in initiating parts, a literary style fitting of such to name a few.

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 6.39.03 AM.png

see Climbing the mountain of God with help from the short Psalms

As for the Bible? All the parts of the Old Testament had to be written by a recognized prophet or endorsed by him. As for the New Testament all the part had to be written or endorsed by an apostle and both were kicked off by signs and wonders and miracles with eyewitnesses

But in the end how do you know honey tastes good? you put it on your tongue. Taste and see that the Lord is good.

Last edited: