• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacred and Profane

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Our worship is to God, the God of Israel whom we worship through the Son.
1065 Jesus Christ himself is the "Amen." He is the definitive "Amen" of the Father's love for us. He takes up and completes our "Amen" to the Father: "For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why we utter the Amen through him, to the glory of God":
Through him, with him, in him,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
all glory and honor is yours,
almighty Father,
God, for ever and ever.
AMEN.
The God of Israel is not a man. The worship of Jesus is a problem for Jews. You are not going to make it less a problem for us by simply insisting you worship the God of Israel. Be well.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
The God of Israel is not a man.

That unevidenced claim is going to be a problem for atheists, now how did you put it? "You are not going to make it less a problem for us by simply insisting you worship the God of Israel."

The worship of Jesus is a problem for Jews.

Oh atheists too...

You are not going to make it less a problem for us by simply insisting you worship the God of Israel. Be well.

My sentiments exactly.

pearl

The God of Israel is not a man. The worship of Jesus is a problem for Jews. You are not going to make it less a problem for us by simply insisting you worship the God of Israel. Be well.

To lessen the 'problem' for Jews was not my intent, only to clarify our form of worship. There is no Christian God. As for Jew and Christian the person of Jesus both unites and divides us.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
To lessen the 'problem' for Jews was not my intent, only to clarify our form of worship. There is no Christian God. As for Jew and Christian the person of Jesus both unites and divides us.
I'm only going to say it one more time and then I'm going to drop the discussion. A man, whether it is Jesus, Caesar, or Joe Blow, is not the Jewish God. The fact that Christians worship Jesus DOES make it a problem when they say they worship the same God as the Jews.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Santa Teresa de Avila.

She is considered a profane saint because the line between mystical experience and sexual pleasure is too...fine.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What happens when you are Catholic and you fall in love with a handsome priest?
You know...like Father Casey.

I am very serious. It is impossible to look at your spiritual guide as a guide and not as a man.
We are made of flesh, and flesh is weak.
Spiritual love, romantic love and physical attraction intertwine and melt into a powerful feeling.
Sacred and profane get mixed up when you fall in love with your priest.

I can understand all the women of his parish, who may have fallen in love with him. Who wouldnt?

exchemist

Veteran Member
What happens when you are Catholic and you fall in love with a handsome priest?
You know...like Father Casey.

I am very serious. It is impossible to look at your spiritual guide as a guide and not as a man.
We are made of flesh, and flesh is weak.
Spiritual love, romantic love and physical attraction intertwine and melt into a powerful feeling.
Sacred and profane get mixed up when you fall in love with your priest.

I can understand all the women of his parish, who may have fallen in love with him. Who wouldnt?
Falling in love with someone who is unattainable is an extremely common experience, almost to the point of banality. Someone who is married, or in another relationship, like the priest in your example. Or just someone that does not feel the way about you that you do about them. It can happen in church, in the office, in sport, or just socially. You just have to recognise it, accept it and set your feelings to one side. If it's too painful to manage, avoid that person. As one of my brothers used to advise, in another context, "Don't let the little head do the thinking for big head." ;) As an adult, one has to manage one's feelings.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Falling in love with someone who is unattainable is an extremely common experience, almost to the point of banality. Someone who is married, or in another relationship, like the priest in your example. Or just someone that does not feel the way about you that you do about them. It can happen in church, in the office, in sport, or just socially. You just have to recognise it, accept it and set your feelings to one side. If it's too painful to manage, avoid that person. As one of my brothers used to advise, in another context, "Don't let the little head do the thinking for big head." ;) As an adult, one has to manage one's feelings.

I think that it has little to do with the unattainability, though.;)
Because if he were not that handsome, I guess women would see him as a priest only, and not as a man.
His beauty is distracting.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think that it has little to do with the unattainability, though.;)
Because if he were not that handsome, I guess women would see as a priest only, and not as a man.
His beauty is distracting.
With an unattainable person, either one has to manage the distraction or, if it is too much, avoid that person. Being in love (if that is what you really mean) with someone you cannot have is painful. You have to do something that enables you to get over it or it can stunt your life.