• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabbath question

Tumah

Veteran Member
Hi guys.
I'm have the understanding that you guys keep the Sabbath on Saturday from sundown to sundown. I was wondering if you follow Ex. 35:3 about not burning fires on the Sabbath and if so, what do you do for food and heat (in the winter), both today and in earlier times?

Thanks!

k4c

Hi guys.
I'm have the understanding that you guys keep the Sabbath on Saturday from sundown to sundown. I was wondering if you follow Ex. 35:3 about not burning fires on the Sabbath and if so, what do you do for food and heat (in the winter), both today and in earlier times?

Thanks!

People have misinterpreted many verses in the Old Testament regarding the Sabbath. God never said we are not allowed to cook on the Sabbath. The context of the fire was motivated by the building of tabernacle of meeting. The people were so excited about building the tabernacle of meeting that they would have worked everyday on it. In the building of the tabernacle of meeting fire would be needed to melt and form the metals and dispose of construction waste. None of this was to be done on the Sabbath.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that we are not under that old system of sin and death, we are under the teachings of Jesus. Don't go to the Old Testament to learn how to honor the Sabbath, go to the teachings of Jesus. We have freedom in Christ on the Sabbath, not freedom from the Sabbath.