• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S. Dakota - Trump - no distancing - optional masks

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And maybe that's what makes the difference between the US and other nations who are handling this pandemic much, much better -- if all you want to be is the fabled American "rugged individualist," well you'll wind up where you are. If you decide that you can be an individual, but it doesn't detract from your individualism to give a rat's hiney about other people, then you can put on a mask and still not think you're now a certified commie.
No nation is handling the pandemic better.

All that's being done is handling time, and I'll leave it up to others to think if it's prolonging the misery or not.

The virus is going to find everybody eventually and again most will survive pretty well.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

All that's being done is handling time, and I'll leave it up to others to think if it's prolonging the misery or not.

The virus is going to find everybody eventually and again most will survive pretty well.
You seem somewhat focused on one part of the problem, but oblivious to other parts. I've said from the start of this that I understand this virus isn't going to go away (although it my evolve into strains either more or less potent, infectious, etc.). And if ever anything evolves that our own human immune system cannot cope with (or that cannot be helped to cope with via vaccine), then we as a species are toast. I don't think that's likely to happen. Nature doesn't work that way.

BUT -- the part you are missing is this: if you fill up all the hospitals, use up all the ventilators and intensive care units and nurses and doctors -- and you are still getting more cases -- then you are condemning many people to death who don't need to die. That is what "flattening the curve" is all about. It never pretended it was going to make the virus go away -- only the idiot Trump kept saying that!

Please, stop worshipping the great orange and just look at the facts a little.

Flame

Beware
I posted the following in another thread, but I'm copy/pasting it here, because it fits. This is about what happens when you decide not to manage a pandemic, compared to when you decide to manage it carefully.

Have a little look at some recent stats (June 24) for new COVID-19 cases in 3 Republican states (in a country run by a republican President) compared to your northern neighbour at the same time -- run by a LIberal government:

New COVID-19 cases on June 24

Florida (pop 21.5 million) -- 5508
Texas (pop 29 million) -- 5489
Arizona (pop 7.3 million) -- 3541

Canada (pop 37.5 million) --- 279

Oh I know. You're preaching to the choir by quoting me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If it was really that bad, you would find more people in compliance just by virtue of the experience.
It is really that bad. But people think its like a little flu. Or they think it's a hoax. Or they think its mild symptoms or death.
Yes, it rely is that bad. And, to complicate things, its playing Viral Russian Roullete. Even healthy children and teens have fallen seriously ill and died (Ive lost better odds at poker).

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Honestly, I find your comment -- in the glaring face of just the few numbers that I provided, that you can make such as statement. ARe you sure you're not Donald Trump, or are you just shilling for him?

Have a little look at some recent stats (June 24) for new COVID-19 cases in 3 Republican states (in a country run by a republican President) compared to your northern neighbour at the same time -- run by a LIberal government:

New COVID-19 cases on June 24

Florida (pop 21.5 million) -- 5508
Texas (pop 29 million) -- 5489
Arizona (pop 7.3 million) -- 3541

Canada (pop 37.5 million) --- 279
In fact, since I've posted these numbers, I'm quite dumbfounded by the silence from most of the Americans here. With what's at stake, truly dumbfounded.