• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ruth and Rahab the harlot

james2ko

Interested in the Jewish viewpoint on these two women and would it possible for both women to be ancestors of the promised Messiah--why or why not? (I realize this is a DIR thread. Not interested in debate, just opinions, if any).

dantech

Interested in the Jewish viewpoint on these two women and would it possible for both women to be ancestors of the promised Messiah--why or why not? (I realize this is a DIR thread. Not interested in debate, just opinions, if any).

Well, even though she is a convert to Judaism, Ruth is an extremely respected women in Jewish tradition. Rabbis always mention her to prove that true Jewishness is judged by acceptance of God and the mitzvot, rather than the heritage.
Her first born son is Obed. Obed eventually became the grandfather of King David. It is said and accepted by pretty much everyone that King David's lineage is the one of the Messiah. Therefore, the Messiah will be a descendant of Ruth as well.

As for Rahab, the story is as follows:

She was a prostitute who has had relations with all the rulers and princes. By doing so, she was well aware of events outside of Jericho.
When Joshua sent two of his men to Jericho, the king had found out and ordered Rahab to surrender them. Long story short, she saved those men by hiding them and ended up becoming righteous and marrying Joshua.

This shows us that anyone, even a prostitute, can repent for her actions. She was the first to say that God, our Lord, was God in Heaven and Earth, making her conversion to Judaism one of the most complete ones.

In the Midrash, it tells us how pleased God was with Rahab's faith, and said: "On earth you could see with your own eyes that there is no other G-d beside Me. But to declare also that I am the only G-d also in heaven-this shows real faith. I promise you therefore that one of your descendants shall be one of the greatest prophets for whom the heavens will be opened, and he will see what no other prophet has seen."

That prophet was Ezekiel, who saw the Divine Chariot in heaven. However, Rahab's reward was more than that. She became Joshua's wife and was the ancestress of great priests and prophets, among them also Jeremiah, and the prophetess Huldah.

Now, if I am not mistaking, Rahab is the great great-grandmother of King David. So yes, Rahab will be an ancestress to the Messiah.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Well, even though she is a convert to Judaism, Ruth is an extremely respected women in Jewish tradition. Rabbis always mention her to prove that true Jewishness is judged by acceptance of God and the mitzvot, rather than the heritage.
Her first born son is Obed. Obed eventually became the grandfather of King David. It is said and accepted by pretty much everyone that King David's lineage is the one of the Messiah. Therefore, the Messiah will be a descendant of Ruth as well.

As for Rahab, the story is as follows:

She was a prostitute who has had relations with all the rulers and princes. By doing so, she was well aware of events outside of Jericho.
When Joshua sent two of his men to Jericho, the king had found out and ordered Rahab to surrender them. Long story short, she saved those men by hiding them and ended up becoming righteous and marrying Joshua.

This shows us that anyone, even a prostitute, can repent for her actions. She was the first to say that God, our Lord, was God in Heaven and Earth, making her conversion to Judaism one of the most complete ones.

In the Midrash, it tells us how pleased God was with Rahab's faith, and said: "On earth you could see with your own eyes that there is no other G-d beside Me. But to declare also that I am the only G-d also in heaven-this shows real faith. I promise you therefore that one of your descendants shall be one of the greatest prophets for whom the heavens will be opened, and he will see what no other prophet has seen."

That prophet was Ezekiel, who saw the Divine Chariot in heaven. However, Rahab's reward was more than that. She became Joshua's wife and was the ancestress of great priests and prophets, among them also Jeremiah, and the prophetess Huldah.

Now, if I am not mistaking, Rahab is the great great-grandmother of King David. So yes, Rahab will be an ancestress to the Messiah.

I haven't heard about Rahab being the ancestress of David, but I don't doubt that's an extant midrash.

This all pretty much precisely accords with what I know. Nicely summed up.

dantech

I haven't heard about Rahab being the ancestress of David, but I don't doubt that's an extant midrash.

This all pretty much precisely accords with what I know. Nicely summed up.

I've been looking for a few hours for a place where it says that Rahab is the ancestress of David, and turns out I can't find anything.
I'm beginning to think it might be something I read from Christian sources...
I'm going to keep looking because I was certain she was his great great grandmother.