• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russian Helicopter Violates Estonia's Airspace

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Estonia has said that a Russian helicopter entered its airspace for two minutes, violating it:

HELSINKI -- NATO member Estonia said Tuesday that a Russian border guard helicopter violated the airspace of the Baltic nation over the weekend, and Russia’s ambassador was summoned and given a note over the incident.

Estonia’s military said in a statement that the Russian MI-8 helicopter entered the country’s airspace in southeastern Estonia in the Koidula area — not far from the Russian city of Pskov — without permission on Saturday evening.

The helicopter was in Estonia’s airspace for almost two minutes, Estonia’s military said, adding that it hadn’t presented a flight plan, had its transponder switched off and failed to maintain radio contact with Estonian Air Navigation Services.

It's not the first incident of its kind:

The alleged intrusion was the second violation of Estonia’s airspace this year. Last year, Russian aircraft — military and civilian — violated Estonia’s airspace five times, the military said.

On Friday, Russia’s ambassador to Denmark was summoned to the Danish foreign ministry after a Russian military vessel twice violated the country’s territorial waters off the Baltic Sea island of Bornholm.

Russian border guard helicopter violates Estonia's airspace

What do you think this will lead to, if anything?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Russia has been violating airspace of various european countries for years.

I remember incidents when i lived in the UK, This is only the latest in a long line of such violations.

I don't really know what their game could be other than testing air defenses but given the current situation it's worrying

amorphous_constellation

I think they're prudent enough not to shoot it down and risk a third world war, seeing as how they're a NATO member. Still, the gesture worries me; Russia keeps playing with fire when the situation is risky enough as is.

Yeah I'm not following this whole story as much anymore.. Because really, what can you do? What does all of this technically mean anyway - that one accidental, or perhaps intentional downing of a trespassing helicopter, might cause a chain reaction blows up the world? It's a helicopter too, more prone to accidents than a plane - so what about a false flag due to pilot error?

I don't know how much more of this I want to read or hear about. It doesn't seem healthy somehow. The authorities of the world are supposed to be more peaceful. If they aren't peaceful, then what authority can you trust? I guess then, you must fall back only to ideas of peace and harmony

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Decades ago, I had a boss who had been in the Navy and knew what went on between the USSR and the USA over the Bering Strait. Let's just say that hot shot jet pilots loved to play chicken at Mach 1 or there abouts.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Russia has been violating airspace of various european countries for years.

I remember incidents when i lived in the UK, This is only the latest in a long line of such violations.

I don't really know what their game could be other than testing air defenses but given the current situation it's worrying
This ^^^^^^

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Estonia has said that a Russian helicopter entered its airspace for two minutes, violating it:

It's not the first incident of its kind:

Russian border guard helicopter violates Estonia's airspace

What do you think this will lead to, if anything?

I'm not sure it will lead to anything at this point. It's hard to say if it was just a mistake, or perhaps a surveillance mission or something else. If Putin wishes to attack Estonia, I suppose he could, but then that would trigger a response from NATO and possibly even a nuclear exchange.