• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia warns Google to stop advertising "illegal mass events"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Russia tells Google not to advertise 'illegal' events after election protests - Reuters

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s state communications watchdog has asked Google (GOOGL.O) to stop advertising “illegal mass events” on its YouTube video platform, it said on Sunday.

Tens of thousands of Russians staged what observers called the country’s biggest political protest for eight years on Saturday, defying a crackdown to demand free elections to Moscow’s city legislature. Multiple YouTube channels broadcast the event live.

If the company does not take measures to prevent events from being promoted on its platforms, Russia reserves the right to respond accordingly, Roscomnadzor said, without giving details.

Over the past five years, Russia has introduced tougher laws requiring search engines to delete some search results, messaging services to share encryption keys with security services, and social networks to store Russian users’ personal data on servers within the country.

I wonder if Putin is worried about his hold on power. With tens of thousands protesting in the streets and further restrictions on the flow of information within the country, it's a sign they could be getting worried.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I wonder if the west worries about "free speech", it seems it does if it runs counter to their narratives.
Your democracy is fragile.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Srivijaya

Quite ironic given Russia's recent use of social media to manipulate events in western democracies. Double-edged sword by the looks of it.

pearl

I wonder if Putin is worried about his hold on power. With tens of thousands protesting in the streets and further restrictions on the flow of information within the country, it's a sign they could be getting worried.

Trump must be so envious. He'd love to have that power instead of his 'fake news' cry.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Google's response ought to be, "Show me the money!"
Capitalists are much quicker to respond to money than threats.

Well, they did impose a fine on Google for a previous violation. No one is going to any gulags over this. Sanctions, fines, and similar penalties are quite common in the capitalist world.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I wonder if the west worries about "free speech", it seems it does if it runs counter to their narratives.
Your democracy is fragile.

It’s weirder than that.

Remember the Arab Spring ?

MI6 supplied various dictatorial governments with software called Evident. It is very advanced surveillance software.
Once the ‘people power’ movement got under way, Evident was used to identify all the pro-democracy people so they could be arrested and/or killed.

Why would MI6 do that ?