• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia is Rounding up Jehovah's Witnesses.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Their meeting places were raided by heavily armed police and arrests made. Their Halls were shut down and they are being persecuted with the sanction of the Russian Orthodox Church.

These kinds of heavy handed tactics are nothing new in Russia. It reminds me of the armed guards coming to arrest Jesus. Since when is an armed militia needed to arrest a quiet group of unarmed Christians? :rolleyes:

"Critics accuse the authorities of exploiting anti-terrorism laws to pressure the group. “There were no grounds at all to bar the Jehovah’s Witnesses,” says Alexander Verkhovsky, an expert on anti-extremist legislation at the Moscow-based Sova human rights center. “Yes, they insist that their religion is the only right one. But so do most other religions. No one has even accused them of any specific extremist actions.” (Russia’s Justice Ministry did not respond to a request for comment.)

Analysts at the United Nations say the suppression of the Christian movement signals a “dark future” for religious freedom in Russia. Kremlin officials insist, however, that the Supreme Court ruling merely blacklists the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization, and does not infringe upon individuals’ rights to practice their religion of choice, as guaranteed by the country’s post-Soviet constitution.

Many observers disagree. “The escalating crackdown on the Jehovah’s Witnesses without doubt represents Russia’s worst backsliding on religious freedom since the Soviet era,” says Geraldine Fagan, editor of East-West Church and Ministry Report, an online publication that monitors Christianity-related issues in former Soviet countries."

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/06/01/jehovahs-witnesses-939860.html

I guess the law can be manipulated to ban people who are your most honest and hard working citizens? :shrug:

Makes you wonder what kind of threat they think we are.....? Do they imagine that our message of peace is a threat to Russian security?
confused0060.gif

Jumi

Post-Communist Russia made laws to protect the major religions with long modern history there like Orthodox Christianity and Sunni Islam and to stop smaller religions from spreading. We had some news about JWs in our medias, about Russian JWs were transferring property rights to Finnish JWs to avoid losing control of them.

According to some Western commentators, respect for freedom of religion by secular authorities has declined in Russia since the late 1990s and early 2000s.[7][8] In 2006, a Mari Pagan priest, Vitaly Tanakov, was successfully convicted of extremism and sentenced to 120 hours of compulsory labour for having published a politico-religious tract, A Priest Speaks (Onajeng Ojla), which in 2009 was added to the federal list of material deemed "extremist".[59] In 2011 there was an unsuccessful attempt to ban the Bhagavad-Gītā As It Is on the same charge.[52] In August 2016, the premises of a Vedic monastery founded in 2001 in Nizhny Novgorod were demolished by local authorities after having been declared illegal in 2015.[60] It has been observed that the categories of "extremist" and "totalitarian sect" have been consistently used to try to outlaw religious groups which the Russian Orthodox Church classifies as "not traditional", including the newest Protestant churches and the Jehovah's Witnesses.[61]

Jumi

I'm stating an opinion that Putin shares with me. Only he act upon it - I don'.
Putin doesn't decide this, it started before he was elected President though Putin has been strongly on the side of the Patriarchate of Moscow and all Rus. Originally JWs we're part of the few protected religious groups, but now they're not.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Their meeting places were raided by heavily armed police and arrests made. Their Halls were shut down and they are being persecuted with the sanction of the Russian Orthodox Church.

These kinds of heavy handed tactics are nothing new in Russia. It reminds me of the armed guards coming to arrest Jesus. Since when is an armed militia needed to arrest a quiet group of unarmed Christians? :rolleyes:

"Critics accuse the authorities of exploiting anti-terrorism laws to pressure the group. “There were no grounds at all to bar the Jehovah’s Witnesses,” says Alexander Verkhovsky, an expert on anti-extremist legislation at the Moscow-based Sova human rights center. “Yes, they insist that their religion is the only right one. But so do most other religions. No one has even accused them of any specific extremist actions.” (Russia’s Justice Ministry did not respond to a request for comment.)

Analysts at the United Nations say the suppression of the Christian movement signals a “dark future” for religious freedom in Russia. Kremlin officials insist, however, that the Supreme Court ruling merely blacklists the Jehovah’s Witnesses organization, and does not infringe upon individuals’ rights to practice their religion of choice, as guaranteed by the country’s post-Soviet constitution.

Many observers disagree. “The escalating crackdown on the Jehovah’s Witnesses without doubt represents Russia’s worst backsliding on religious freedom since the Soviet era,” says Geraldine Fagan, editor of East-West Church and Ministry Report, an online publication that monitors Christianity-related issues in former Soviet countries."

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/06/01/jehovahs-witnesses-939860.html

I guess the law can be manipulated to ban people who are your most honest and hard working citizens? :shrug:

Makes you wonder what kind of threat they think we are.....? Do they imagine that our message of peace is a threat to Russian security?
confused0060.gif

My personal experience is that Jehova Witnesses in Holland are arrogant [as are many Christians] because they tell "Jesus is the only way, others go to Hell". This is Black Magic, using words/spells to poison/fear your mind, just to win new members. Very bad IMO. Even if they say "we wish you also the best" [never give unasked advice and stuff]

So I do understand why Putin made this decision. And I understand why now. ISIS threaten to create havoc next month. And Putin shows that religious people claiming "our religion is better than yours" are not welcome anymore in Russia [he warned the world before, and now he makes up to his warning. ISIS and alike religions are finished in Russia]. That is what I learn from this news.

My guru taught us:
"All religions are created/given by God"
"Nobody has the right to criticize the feelings or religions of others"
"Criticizing others or their religion is criticizing God"
"You can criticize the actions of humans, but not the humans"

My guru also told in the end just before He died:
"I don't want you to use my name, when being in the world. No need to glorify my name. All humans are God's creations. Nobody is better than someone else. No religion is better than another. All religions [incl. humanism, atheism] have somehow Love as their basis"

So to me it all makes sense. I am not happy for the JW. I did give them many warnings over the years to change their sick habits [went to their churches also (6000 members gathering), but they didn't want to listen to my common sense]. I am all for peace. But what JW do is not peace. It's very bad. Whoever tells "My religion is better than yours is cruel in the worst way one can imagine". And it's time this is spoken out loud. We have to stop this else never there will be world peace. IMHO.

1 good thing about JW is that they at least stand for what they believe. This I learned well from them.

Last edited:

Shushersbedamned

Putin doesn't decide this, it started before he was elected President though Putin has been strongly on the side of the Patriarchate of Moscow and all Rus. Originally JWs we're part of the few protected religious groups, but now they're not.
I never said he does

stvdv

"Honesty"? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Kids are honest. I like to stay "kid" wise all my life. And I feel the same. If someone tells me "you go to hell unless accepting Jesus" I feel very disrespected. And it's just honest to tell that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Kids are honest. I like to stay "kid" wise all my life. And I feel the same. If someone tells me "you go to hell unless accepting Jesus" I feel very disrespected. And it's just honest to tell that.

Do you feel lumping all JWs together as an "irritating self-centered group" is reasonable?

stvdv

Do you feel lumping all JWs together as an "irritating self-centered group" is reasonable?

No that is not reasonable. I specifically said that I visited them in Holland, and Dutch JW came to my house. And I said that I visited churches with only 6000 members. But I was told that of the 6000 members all 6000 believed this way [they explicitly told me that; something like a rule to become a member]

If they told me wrong, then I challenge the USA JW to call the Dutch JW and set them straight [if the USA JW have a different view than the Dutch.]

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No that is not reasonable. I specifically said that I visited them in Holland, and Dutch JW came to my house. That I visited churches with only 6000 members. But I was told that of the 6000 member all 6000 believed this way.

If they told me wrong, then I challenge the USA JW to call the Dutch JW and set them straight [if the USA JW have a different view than the Dutch.]

You might be right for all I really know -- excepting that I do know a few JWs who are not that way. As for whoever told you all 6000 JWs in that church believed the same, I'd generally discount that as uniformed opinion based on the odds they know enough about each one of those people to authoritatively state such a thing. But that's just me. I'm skeptical of such claims in general.