• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia, Brexit, Delay and Lies

Secret Chief

Stiff Member
upload_2020-7-21_12-0-24.png

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's probable that Putin and the Russian leadership are not bothered by public opinion in Russia, given that it doesn't seem to be that open a society (especially with regards news or any political opposition), such that he and they couldn't care less how they are seen by others - whether that is being clumsy and brutal using such things as Novichok or Polonium, or cheating in sport (since many others do likewise), or in their attempts to influence the politics of other countries. Most countries might just use the usual methods to get rid of people but the Russians either try to be clever (not being found out), try to show how superior they are, or couldn't care less. But they still come across as stupid and not so clever after all.

Altfish

Veteran Member
... I'm playing catch-up on this, but it appears to have omitted the Brexit referendum. If so, that is shameful.

Tambourine

It's probable that Putin and the Russian leadership are not bothered by public opinion in Russia, given that it doesn't seem to be that open a society (especially with regards news or any political opposition), such that he and they couldn't care less how they are seen by others - whether that is being clumsy and brutal using such things as Novichok or Polonium, or cheating in sport (since many others do likewise), or in their attempts to influence the politics of other countries. Most countries might just use the usual methods to get rid of people but the Russians either try to be clever (not being found out), try to show how superior they are, or couldn't care less. But they still come across as stupid and not so clever after all.
From what I heard, the Putin regime actually had to contend with some fairly widespread protests over cuts to welfare and pension funds, until Corona offered a chance for the government to crack down on publically voiced dissent without losing face. And the ridiculous dancing Putin did around the new constitutional regulations on presidential terms suggests a certain self consciousness towards at least appearing as if he was acting within the confines of the constitutional order.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
From what I heard, the Putin regime actually had to contend with some fairly widespread protests over cuts to welfare and pension funds, until Corona offered a chance for the government to crack down on publically voiced dissent without losing face. And the ridiculous dancing Putin did around the new constitutional regulations on presidential terms suggests a certain self consciousness towards at least appearing as if he was acting within the confines of the constitutional order.

Well I'm not sure Putin has any intention of allowing a legitimate opposition to his rule to even exist, not in the sense that most reasonably democratic countries would see as the norm, and the recent changes to the constitution are all part of such - a dictator in all but name.

Secret Chief

Stiff Member

Yerda

Veteran Member
Haven't Russian oligarchs been donating millions annually to the tories for about 25 years? I could be wrong but that seems more consequential for our politics than unspecified possible referendum interference.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Haven't Russian oligarchs been donating millions annually to the tories for about 25 years? I could be wrong but that seems more consequential for our politics than unspecified possible referendum interference.
No, it's part of the same influencing game.
The EU is powerful and a threat to Russia. Take the UK out of the EU, it is less powerful.
The UK on their own are irrelevant and Russia already controls us anyway.
So it is win-win for Russia

Yerda

Veteran Member
No, it's part of the same influencing game.
The EU is powerful and a threat to Russia. Take the UK out of the EU, it is less powerful.
The UK on their own are irrelevant and Russia already controls us anyway.
So it is win-win for Russia
It is reasonable to assume that Russia prefers that in 2016 the UK votes leave. I'm with you there. Then what?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The US Senate Report shines more light on UK interference by the Russians too.
Aaron Banks' name appears plus other dodgy characters