• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running time/pace-math question

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Bad tracking.
I've noticed similar things. Times, distances, even paths traveled aren't necessarily accurate. Using those, I've found you pretty much have to average it and exclude outliers (you'll spot these when you see them as they produce data way off).

I'm sure I must be looking at something wrong. The blue snapshot above 8.39 from 9.55 seem more realistic. But yeah, I'll do that.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
after post #7 with the app's output, this feels more like a "what's the manual say?" question than a math question. :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Okay. I've been using running apps and when I started off years ago, I could run at least 13-14 pace per mile (going up hill). During winter I stayed ground level, with shorter hills (we have them everywhere), and now as its getting warmer, I got 9:55 pace average per mile twice in a week. So the improvement paid off in those couple of years. So, this morning, I ran 2.7 miles.

I tried Strava for the first time, and it said:

Average pace 6:13 per mile
Average elapsed pace per mile 15:23

Moving time 14:36
Elapsed time 36:05 (because of mini walks and traffic light stops)

Fastest split 2s per mile

Legend:

Pace-how fast I ran per mile-smaller the number, the faster
Elapsed pace-how fast I was moving the whole time

Moving time-how long I was active
Elapsed time-how long the app was running

Okay.

How on earth did I get from 9:55 pace on one app two times last week to 6:13 this morning on Strava?

Did I actually do 6:13 per mile and the difference of elapsed time was my second mile pace?

Just want to make sure I'm reading this right because I'm happy I did 6:13 per mile (just got to work on it) but don't want to fool myself, ya know?
I have difficulty understanding some of this. What the app means by "pace" appears to be a figure in minutes (and seconds) per mile. For example, 6:13 means you are running at a speed that will take you 6 minutes and 13 seconds to cover 1 mile.

So when you write, "13-14 pace per mile", this has no meaning. What it should mean, presumably, is that your "pace" is 13-14 mins/mile.

When you write Strava says "average pace 6:13 per mile", that makes sense , i.e. 6mins 13 sec per mile is your average pace.

But the next sentence seems to be nonsense. "Average elapsed pace" means nothing. You can have an elapsed time, but not an elapsed pace. I think, though, that what they probably mean is the total elapsed time, divided by the total distance, including the periods that you were not running. Whereas the actual "pace" is the pace you achieved during the spells while you were running. Or something like that.

But there is something wrong even then, as you only stopped for 2 minutes and that is not enough to increase your pace time from 6:13 ave to 15:23. Also, I burst out laughing at your fastest split, which was 2 seconds per mile, implying you were moving at supersonic speed for part of the time. :D

6:13 average for a mile suggest you must be pretty fit. When I was in training for the school Ist VIII, we used to do a 2 mile run, admittedly after a rowing outing, when we were tired, and it took me 12:30 or so, so that would have been just about 6:15/mile.

These numbers look suspicious to me. I wonder if it is set up right.