• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumi

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I do not know Sufism very well. But I do think Rumi was a Sufi, right?

Anyway, I found a website with his poetry, and wanted to share it, and see if any others who know more about this poet and can share some more info and poetry of his.

Here is a few I took special liking to;

I saw Sorrow
holding a cup of pain.
I said, hey sorrow,
sorry to see you this way.
What's troubling you?
What's with the cup?
Sorrow said,
what else can I do?
All this Joy that you have brought to the world has killed my business completely.
Love came,
and became like blood in my body.
It rushed through my veins and
encircled my heart.
Everywhere I looked,
I saw one thing.
Love's name written
on my limbs,
on my left palm,
on my forehead,
on the back of my neck,
on my right big toe…
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

I am an atom;
you are like the countenance of the Sun for me.
I am a patient of Love
you are like medicine for me.
Without wings, without feathers,
I fly about looking for you.
I have become a rose petal
and you are like the wind for me.
Take me for a ride.

Rumi Poems Main

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Yes Rumi was a Sufi. the early Sufi were considered a legitimate madhab of Sunni. Today's Sufi do not seem to follow any madhab. It is rather difficult to classify where they fit in. they do follow the 5 pillars of Islam, so we do see them as our Brothers and Sisters in Islam. It is just a question of if what they follow is a valid Madhab. It is not required for a Muslim to follow a madhab, but it is highly desired that we all do follow one and only one.

When I first reverted to Islam I followed the Sufi path and admittedly still have much love for the Sufi, however I disagree with their veneration of Saints so I now follow the Hanafi Madhab.

The Sufi typically have many admirable practices. I Love they general pacifist attitude and they love of creativity. I find it interesting that many Sufi enter into the Health Care professions.

A-ManESL

Yes Rumi was a Sufi. the early Sufi were considered a legitimate madhab of Sunni. Today's Sufi do not seem to follow any madhab. It is rather difficult to classify where they fit in. they do follow the 5 pillars of Islam, so we do see them as our Brothers and Sisters in Islam. It is just a question of if what they follow is a valid Madhab. It is not required for a Muslim to follow a madhab, but it is highly desired that we all do follow one and only one.

I think you have a misconception. Madhab deals with jurisprudence and the shariat, Sufism deals with the inner dimension. The majority of those people professing to follow Sufism all follow some school of jurisprudence when it comes to the shariat. The fact that they are also Sufis is something extra.

For the seekers the first way is the shariat (Islamic laws). When the seekers on the way are devoted followers of the shariat and carry out the commands of the shariat and do not even diverse to the amount of a particle of dust from the way, then they reach tariqat (the path of Sufism). When they are consistent in that degree and follow the way of the people who have done this before them and do not for a moment transgress, then they reach the degree of ma’refat (gnosis, inner knowledge of God) and when they recognise and understand the importance of this place then light will be generated in them. If they are consistent in this degree then they go over to the fourth degree, that is the degree of haqiqat (the realisation of the Truth). After having reached this degree, whatever they ask they will receive it-Moinuddin Chishti

To the OP, if you want to understand Rumi, you must definitively read "Discourses of Rumi".

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
The relationship of Rumi and Shams is astounding and amazing as the poems that Rumi wrote with that Light of the Friend in his heart....

Glad you enjoy these, the words needs to know Love more.

A-ManESL

The relationship of Rumi and Shams is astounding and amazing as the poems that Rumi wrote with that Light of the Friend in his heart....

Indeed he was so in unity with Shams that he named his diwan (collection of poems) as Diwan-e-Shams-e-Tabrizi, as he felt that although outwardly he was the poet, yet the soul in the lines is of Shams Tabrizi and hence Shams Tabrizi is the real poet.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I think the word you want is "Muse" where the poetry lingo falls?
But I understand what you mean.... and separating The poet and the poetic way he understands something isn't necessary really...

They were both Poets in their own way perhaps ;)?