• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rules regarding planes?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am sure these stories I am reading about discrimination regarding transgenders and tsa are rare right? How common are they?

Though there are a few transgenders here and there may be some well deserved horror stories they are not a large enough statistical sample. Just remember some people are a@#holes and there is not that much that you can do about it. One problem with the TSA is that all of the training has been done in the South. South with a upper case "S:. Not exactly the home of tolerant thought.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Though there are a few transgenders here and there may be some well deserved horror stories they are not a large enough statistical sample. Just remember some people are a@#holes and there is not that much that you can do about it. One problem with the TSA is that all of the training has been done in the South. South with a upper case "S:. Not exactly the home of tolerant thought.
Good to know

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There's exaggeration going on here. It's really not that bad unless you badmouth TSA employees to their face or complain loudly. But do read the "do's and don'ts" carefully, have loose change etc in your carry-on etc and you'll be fine.

LAX can be a PITA. I've not been there recently but I made my life easier by knowing generally the route a taxi would take so I could spot any drivers who wanted to run up the bill. These days, who knows. Studying up again is helpful.
I forget what exactly I said, but just before I boarded they pulled me aside, this time to randomly check my hands for explosive residue. He told me to get my ticket or something as the lady at the desk was checking it and handing it back to me, and I said something like "no, you're going to check my hand, now, when it's open and free because that's the smart thing to do."
They also checked my mom's hands a the regular check point.
I am sure these stories I am reading about discrimination regarding transgenders and tsa are rare right? How common are they?
They discriminate against us right from the start with the way we have to use and present as the name on our ID.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I actually remember when they had smoking sections, always at the rear of the plane. Talk about second hand smoke!
Me too. In fact I have not flown for ages. But I do think that I have had at least a few smoke free flights. Much better.

Even the nonsmoking sections had more than their share of smoke. It was almost as if the smoke did not know any better.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Me too. In fact I have not flown for ages. But I do think that I have had at least a few smoke free flights. Much better.

Even the nonsmoking sections had more than their share of smoke. It was almost as if the smoke did not know any better.

I fly around once a year. It's so easy. I don't like the long flights. We did one at 17.5 hours, Seattle to Dubai ... brutal. The smoking is a non-issue now, but I do know people who can't fly because of it. They'll drive for 4 days instead of fly for 4 hours, and forget going across an ocean.

Daemon Sophic

Wow! A lot of people have some bad stories about flying on this thread. :confused:

Prior to CoViD I usually flew twice a year, within the US, and occasionally over to Europe and back. Both solo and with my wife and kids. We do use the TSA Precheck.
Never had an issue with security. Never had anyone so much as touch me or any of my family members.
At 6’ 3” the seating onboard is moderately cramped, but not worse than a school bus, with more padding on the seats.
If you have an electronic device, most flights have Wi-Fi, but you should pack a real book, just in case. Earplugs (or noise cancellation devices) are useful too. Buy you food inside the airport, before boarding (security will let solid food into the airport, but not drinks of any kind, and semiliquid items like pudding would also get trashed at the security check). Buying onboard the plane is expensive, tiny, and tastes terrible.
Of course wear a mask, and bring a small (3oz or less to get past security) bottle of rubbing alcohol. Note: toothpaste, sunscreen, etc...all have to be 3oz or less. Anything larger gets stopped by security.

LA is a BIG and widespread city. Also, many (most) days will have a tan/red haze from the pollution. You might want a mask even without CoViD. I hope you can get out of town and to the beach and to the mountains while you’re there.

It’ll be fine. Have fun! :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wow! A lot of people have some bad stories about flying on this thread. :confused:

Prior to CoViD I usually flew twice a year, within the US, and occasionally over to Europe and back. Both solo and with my wife and kids. We do use the TSA Precheck.
Never had an issue with security. Never had anyone so much as touch me or any of my family members.
At 6’ 3” the seating onboard is moderately cramped, but not worse than a school bus, with more padding on the seats.
If you have an electronic device, most flights have Wi-Fi, but you should pack a real book, just in case. Earplugs (or noise cancellation devices) are useful too. Buy you food inside the airport, before boarding (security will let solid food into the airport, but not drinks of any kind, and semiliquid items like pudding would also get trashed at the security check). Buying onboard the plane is expensive, tiny, and tastes terrible.
Of course wear a mask, and bring a small (3oz or less to get past security) bottle of rubbing alcohol. Note: toothpaste, sunscreen, etc...all have to be 3oz or less. Anything larger gets stopped by security.

LA is a BIG and widespread city. Also, many (most) days will have a tan/red haze from the pollution. You might want a mask even without CoViD. I hope you can get out of town and to the beach and to the mountains while you’re there.

It’ll be fine. Have fun! :)
Helpful hint, 3 oz. is two shots. If you have a small container with Everclear or other product that is almost 200 proof you have the equivalent of almost five shots of vodka.

Water or coffee is usually supplied for free:p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've never seen the Wifi be reasonably priced. It's there, but stupid expensive. Like damn near everything at an airport.
I forgot a bottle of water is 3 bucks and McDonalds doesn't have a dollar menu at the air port (no dollar soda).
Myself, I refrain from drinking more than I absolutely have to starting several hours before my flight, eat a decent meal before I leave home, and pack a small snack that will easily fit in my bag and not be damaged from getting roughed up.
And in flight drinks I found if you get juice you may get more as they don't put ice in it and fill the cup to the same level. So you get more than just a sip this way.

You might want a mask even without CoViD.
Regular masks don't help with this. I researched it a few months ago when we were chocking on the smoke from the wildfires. You have to have a respirator.
And it depends on when the visit is. During the winter time the smog isn't as bad. And LA itself isn't too bad overall. It's not like the Central Valley where you can't even see the mountains during the summer and asthma is very problematic. But I don't see a visit to either location being problematic long term.