• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rule of thumb

Daemon Sophic

I’ve often used the expression…..”Give a hard job to a lazy (but intelligent) man (or woman), and he’ll find an easier way to do it.

Rumor has it that Bill Gates followed that philosophy in trying to hire programmers doomed to writing hundreds of thousands of lines of code for simple programs. The result (from smart and frustrated workers) was new programming languages developed to make programming quicker and easier. :)

Edit: PS - I use the expression, because, being a lazy guy, I have done this many times. ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What rule of thumb do you know and want to share?

Mine is "The less you do, the less you will be able to do"

Example.. take a runner who runs three miles a day. For whatever reason they cut it down to one mile a day for one year. When they again try to hit that three mile mark, they will find its not an easy task as it was and might not make it at all.

Hence "the less you do, the less you will be able to do"
"There is only foreward".

I also liked the military adage that no matter what happens, you continue on with the mission.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"There is only foreward".

I also liked the military adage that no matter what happens, you continue on with the mission.
Sounds like avoiding thinking...just blindly following orders.
I prefer the Revoltistanian adage...
"Damn the torpedoes...full speed astern!"

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member
I used this slogan to caution fellow employees as they try to negotiate better wages or conditions," They (management) will only give what you can already take"...........When they do get around to paying females as much as males it will be a case of," Robbing Peter to pay Pauline".

Last edited: