• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rule of thumb

We Never Know

No Slack
What rule of thumb do you know and want to share?

Mine is "The less you do, the less you will be able to do"

Example.. take a runner who runs three miles a day. For whatever reason they cut it down to one mile a day for one year. When they again try to hit that three mile mark, they will find its not an easy task as it was and might not make it at all.

Hence "the less you do, the less you will be able to do"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
miscellaneous-king-rule-ruler-ruling-the_rule_of_thumb-mly0690_low.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The harder you work. The more work you get given.

I've been in that situation where that's said and everyone stands there and chuckles, and I say "you know you can say no, right?" and then it tends to stop the giggling.

I know that isn't always the case in an employment situation, but it was relevant in that one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's true in many cases. The more one shows they can handle, the more they have to carry.
And they expect more and more and more and don't give you raises or more benefits.
This is why I say hard work is for suckers and getting nowhere except the operating room.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hence... The more one shows they can handle, the more they have to carry.
And without extra pay. This is why I don't work hard at work anymore, unless it is for me and directly benefiting me. Then I don't mind the effort. But when it's for some ******* who's probably already angered me with lies I won't do it.

Brian2

Veteran Member
What rule of thumb do you know and want to share?

Mine is "The less you do, the less you will be able to do"

Example.. take a runner who runs three miles a day. For whatever reason they cut it down to one mile a day for one year. When they again try to hit that three mile mark, they will find its not an easy task as it was and might not make it at all.

Hence "the less you do, the less you will be able to do"

Use it or lose it.

My RF rule of thumb is that the frequency at which a poster calls out perceived logical fallacies (such as strawmen or ad hominem) is inversely proportional to both their knowledge of what constitutes said logical fallacy and also their reading proficiency.

RestlessSoul

Isn’t the rule of thumb something to do with one inch being equivalent to an adult male thumb from joint to tip? Anyway, my rule of thumb when taking measurements is, use a ruler.