• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rosh Hashana {part 2}, a rehearsal for the comming of the Messiah

God is love

As mentioned in the previous post entitled "Passover symbolizes deliverence, Shavuot, harvest and Thanksgiving and Rosh Hashana, revival", Rosh Hashana is also a day to anticipate and prepare for the Messiah's comming. Joel 2:1 "Blow ye the trumpet in Zion and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble for the day of the Lord cometh, for it is nigh at hand."

Nehemiah 8:1-12 Verse 10 reads "Now these are thy servants and thy people whom thou hast redeemed by thy great power and by thy strong hand." The phrase " hast redeemed" is a characteristic of the Messiah, the Redeemer.

Isaiah chapter 11 and chapter 27
verse 1 "And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse and a branch shall grow out of his roots. And the spirit of the Lord shall rest up[on him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding ..."
verse 3 "But with righteousness shall he judge the poor and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth ..."
verse 10 "And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse which shall stand for an ensign of the people: to it shall the gentiles seek and his rest shall be glorious."
verse 11 "And it shall come to pass in that day that the Lord shall set His hand the second time to recover the remnant of His people ..."
verse 12 "And He shall set up an ensign for the nations and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth."
verse 13 "The envy also of Ephraim shall depart and the adversaries of Judah shall be cut off. Ephraim shall not envy Judah and Judah shall not vex Ephraim."

Jeremiah 23:5
"Behold, the days come saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous branch and a king shall reign and prosper and shall execute judgement and justice in the earth."

This is a song that is sung with a dance during Sukkot, the season of Joy that seems to describe the same time of peace as described in the previous passages.
Isaiah Chapter 12
"And in that day thou shalt say, O Lord, I will praise thee though thou wast angry with me, thines anger is turned away and thou comfortedst me. Behold Gos is my Savation. I will trust and not be afraid for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song. He also is become my Salvation. And in that day shall ye say. Praise the Lord, call upon His name, declare His doings among the people, make mention that His name is exalted. Sing unto the Lord for He has done excellent things. This is known in all the earth. Cry out and shout thou inhabitants of Zion for graet is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee."

The Holy One of Israel is another name for the Messiah.

This describes a future time to come, a time of peace.

The festivals are commemorative of important historical events in Jewish history

I have a great interest in the Jewish festivals as mentioned in the previous post because the history of the Jewish people which involves a relationship with God, a covenant, laws and prophecies, etc, is a part of my faith. After all Jesus is Jewish from the line {branch} of David, and Jesse. He also lived the laws and performed the festivals that were present then such as Passover.

I think the festivals are symbolic of spritual events as well, past and some future.

I Thessalonians 4:16 - 18 mentions the trump of God
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trump of God ..."

further on
"Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

"Wherefore comfort one another with these words."

I Corinthians 15:51

The Passover has some spiritual symbolism as well

The unleavened bread and the spotless lamb of the Sader dinner {the ritual meal, unsure of spelling} represents purity to me as well as the white robethat is worn.
The unleavened bread represents purity because leaven is symbolic of sin. Perhapps because leaven ferments and sours, sometimes spoils. The spotless lamb, a lamb without blemish represents purity to me because it is perfect.

The lamb was killed in the evening and roasted with a wooden cross in it that is symbolic of the atonement because lambs were sacrificed to atone. It is the blood of the lamb that makes atonement for sin. Leviticus 17 of the Torah verse 11 " The life of the flesh is in the blood and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls."

As a believer in Yeshua {Christ} as the Messiah, it is reminescent of the wooden cross on which Yeshua atoned for us. He lived the law and like the lamb, He was pure {without sin}. It is a likeness of Yeshua, pierced on the cross, atoning for the sins of the world.

Two weeks after Passover is the Day of First Fruits, Shavuot
It was a time of harvest. There was a harvest feast and a festival of Thanksgiving.

I believe it represents a spiritual harvest as well, a harvest of souls. The first fruits are those dedicated to the Lord.

Joel 2:28 "I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh and your sons and daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.
Isaiah 44:3 " will pour my spirit upon thy seed ..."

Nehemiah 9:20 " Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them ..."

This festival, one of the the most holy days, coincides with the Christian Pentecost when there was an outpouring of God's Spirit, {Holy Spirit}.

I believe that it is God's Spirit that is the harvester of souls because it enlightens and brings a joy to the human spirit that motivates us to be faithfull and good.

SHALOM!

God is love

I want to add to the above post what I had overlooked when I wrote it.
I forgot to mention that:
Passover is symbolic of a spiritual deliverence with the Passover lamb because of the atonement which deliveres us from sin.
I mentioned in the post "Rosh Hashana, {part 2}, a rehearsal for the comming of the Messiah" that Yeshua {Jesus Christ} kept the feast of Passover.
In the New Testement Matthew 5:17 Yeshua says " Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets but to fulfil ." As a believer in Christ as the Messiah, I believe He fulfilled the Passover as the sacrificial Lamb.
Hosea 13:14 "I will ransom {redeem} them from death"
Isaiah 59:20 "And the Redeemer shall come to Zion and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the Lord."
Daniel 9:26 "And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off ..."
Zechariah 11.13 "And the Lord said unto me, cast it unto the potter, a goodly price that I was prized at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver and cast them to the potter in the house of the Lord."
Isaiah 53.5 "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities. The chastisement of our peace was upon Him and with His stripes we are healed."
Isaiah 50.6 "I gave my back to the smiters and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair. I hid not my face from shame and spitting."
Isaiah 53: 7-8 "He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth. He is brought as a LAMB to the slaughter .... He was taken from prison and from judgement and who shall declare His generation? for He was cut off out of the land of the living. For the transgression of my people was He stricken
Psalms 22.16 "They pierced my hands and my feet."
psalms 69.21 They gave me also gall for my meat and in my thirst, they gave me vinegar to drink.
John 19.29 "Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar and they filled a spunge with vinegar and put it upon hyssop and put it to His mouth. When Jesus therefore had recieved the vinegar, He said "It is finished."
Luke 23.36 "And the soldiers also mocked Him, coming to Him and offering Him vinegar. And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself. And a superscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek and Latin and Hebrew, "This Is The King Of The Jews" "

I wondered why would He not save himself? Why would the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, not save Him because He is His son?
Isaiah 53:10 "Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him. He hath put Him to grief. When thou shalt make His soul an offering for sin ..."
I gather from this that there had to be an atonement. They both agreed this should be. Jesus was willing to lay down His life on the cross as Isaac {a similtude} laid down on the altar of his father Abraham.

Psalms 34.20 "He keepeth all his bones, not one of them is broken"
This relates to the Passover lamb. It is a similtude of the atonement because ...
Numbers 9:12 " They shall leave none of it unto morning, nor break any bone of it. according to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it."
The new testement mentions that
John 19.31 "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath Day {for that Sabbath Day was a high day} besought Pilot that their legs might be broken and that they may be taken away. Then the soldiers came and brake the legs of the first and of the other which was crucified with Him. But when they csme to jesus and saw that He was dead already, they brake not His legs. But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced His side and forthwith came there out blood and water. And he that saw it bare record and his record if true. ... "
Isaiah 53:12 Therefore will I divide Him a portion with the great and He shall divide the spoil with the strong because He hath poured out His soul unto death and He was numbered with the transgressors and He bare the sins of many and made intercession for the transgressors."
Psalms 22:18 "They part my garments among them and cast lots upon my vesture"
John 19.23 "Then the soldiers when they had crucified Jesus took His garments and made four parts, to every soldier a part and also His coat. Now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, let us not rend it but cast lots for it, whose it shall be."

I heard a Messianic Jew say that The Messiah completes our Jewishness.
The Messianic Jews preserve and honor their heritage, their festivals,traditions, culture.
They don't cease to be jewish when they accept Christ as their Messiah.
I love that.
The tapes that I ordered about the Jewish festivals were ordered from a Messianic ministry. They offered them for free.
This was years ago so I don't think they are making the offer today otherwise I would give the name of the Ministry. I am grateful I was watching a program on t.v the day that they were offered.
I am writing this to show the similarities we share. It bonds us together like family, the family of God. The only difference is that You are waiting for the Messiah to come and I am waiting for His second comming which will not be in the humble conditions of the first rather in majesty and great glory, to rule and reign in peace upon the earth. SHALOM