• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rope snake

ajay0

That's because it IS a snake and don't let them tell you otherwise.
Being a snake is not the issue, it's your attachment or aversion to it which is.

True indeed. One's psychological likes and dislikes create cravings and aversions which distorts the vision.

Thus one mistakenly sees a rope as a garland due to cravings for pleasant sensations of praise or fragance, while the other sees the same rope as a snake due to aversion.

It's soo frustrating that the rope is right in front of me JUST right now but I still cannot perceive it
Sorry I had to vent a bit :D:D

It is just lack of attention or attentive awareness.

You miss the real by lack of attention and create the unreal by excess of imagination. -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Last edited:

Srivijaya

so weird that I'm struggling so much to understand IT ;):(
Sounds like you're attempting an intellectual metaphysical approach. IT (from its own side) requires no understanding at all, so relax and observe the effect IT has on you, without any concern about the nature of IT.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's soo frustrating that the rope is right in front of me JUST right now but I still cannot perceive it. Sorry I had to vent a bit :D:D
Perhaps you are enlightened. You are really 'seeing'. How can you see what is not there? It is neither rope nor a snake, both are 'maya'. :D

'ekam sankhyam ca yogam ca, ya pasyati sa pasyati' BG 5.5
(that the path of works and the path of renunciation are one, who sees thus, he actually sees)

'vinaśyatsv avinaśyantaḿ, yaḥ paśyati sa paśyati'
BG 13.28
(that the indestructible in the destructible is never destroyed, who sees thus, he actually sees)

'yaḥ pasyati tathatmanam, akartaram sa pasyati' BG 13.30
(sees himself also as the non-doer, who sees thus, he actually sees)

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
unfortunately yes, I see lots of suffering :(

sorry for my late reply

No reason to be sorry for, friend. The snake is the natural effect. Regular meditation is required for this purpose only. I am actually being didactic -- without actually practising 100% what I am saying.:D

DanielR

No reason to be sorry for, friend. The snake is the natural effect. Regular meditation is required for this purpose only. I am actually being didactic -- without actually practising 100% what I am saying.:D

I actually started meditating regularly 3 weeks ago, there's no way around it I thought intellectual knowledge was enough to dispell ignorance, but it's NOT, it didn't stop my mind from racing and it didn't eliminate suffering.

I hope I can pull this through, I always manage to stop practicing for some reason or the other

thank you :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, Buddha was right. And the world is not likely to be changed soon. One has to make the best of the situation.
I actually started meditating regularly 3 weeks ago, there's no way around it I thought intellectual knowledge was enough to dispell ignorance, but it's NOT, it didn't stop my mind from racing and it didn't eliminate suffering.
What kind of meditation are you doing? Are you doing it for more than 15 minutes? Beause IMHO, that is not the correct way to meditate.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What you are doing is OK. Don't do it for hours together, rather for minutes (5-10). At some point, stop counting. Distracts you from the main purpose of meditation of abandoning monkey thoughts. Let the sea be calm.

upload_2018-3-28_8-37-24.jpeg

ajay0

that's true. Do you have any type of meditation you could recommend?? I'm doing some kind of breathing meditation right now (counting breaths) :(

Just observe your passing thoughts, emotions and sensations without identifying or reacting to it. This is what is meant by witnessing or meditation or attentive awareness. Self-observation precedes Self-knowledge.

Blind identification with the passing thoughts, emotions and sensations or reacting to it is what makes the mind unconscious and generates misery, as one confuses thought based psychological reality for existential reality.

You might find this link insightful.

atanu

Premium Member
that's true. Do you have any type of meditation you could recommend?? I'm doing some kind of breathing meditation right now (counting breaths) :(

I have gone through a few varieties. Currently, I just practice 'japa'.

I have learned that the most fundamental requirement is correct effortless breathing. If the breathing is not smooth and effortless, whatever one does becomes tiring. Regarding breathing, I have a few observations. One must learn the correct yogic breathing from a proper teacher or a correct manual. The most common technique of diaphragm-abdominal breathing (abdomen swelling out due to pushing down of diaphragm (during in breath) and abdomen going in due to pulling up of diaphragm (out breath)) is actually tiring.

I found that practice of Ujjayee pranayama, following the guidelines of B.K.S. Iyengar (The Light of Pranayama), brought back my interest in 'japa'. Ujjayee allows 'japa' to become one's nature. The book is tough to read. The most fundamental teaching therein is 'complete yogic breathing'. If anyone is interested, I suggest reading the book, particularly the steps outlined in pages: 25-29, 114-120 and 143-165.

Best.