• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roommates?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I currently have a roommate for the next 60 days, and it is not a positive experience.

I don't dislike the guy, but having someone in the same room so often isn't my cup of tea.

Do you have a roommate or had them in the past? I'm doing it because I care so much about my sobriety, that it was worth moving away from my apartment, yet again , for a period of time.

Being broke, not having any assistance financially, in freezing cold Minnesota weather, is just not good.

When it warms up, I spend most of my time at Capitol Hill, Cathedral, Churches, Basilica, AA, on trains, bike riding, traveling, and before my injuries jogging.

In this weather, I'm confined almost. I have junkies showing up to warm up their hands, often offering something not good for my sobriety, in exchange for them and possibly their girlfriend sleeping in my bed. It's not an easy time of year to turn people away.

I have done so multiple times, and made the mistake of letting Jesus Christ (disguised as a homeless person) stay the night (getting things stolen) but it became a temptation enough, that sobriety came first.

I think @JustGeorge would say "Sun and Moon signs make a difference" with how well one's roommate will be compatible. Do you agree?

I actually only know my Moon sign is Virgo (I am Aries like George's son) because @JustGeorge gave me the idea to look up my Moon sign.
Virgo-Man.jpg

I actually like the idea of being a Virgo Moon sign , because it is allegedly supposed to be scary, the Moon is associated with death and Divine femininity (same things spiders are associated with) and I named brother Sun after an Old Testament figure represented by the Sun (prior to knowing my surname is alternative for his name) , and I named sister Moon after his wife , represented by the Moon in the OT (prior to proposing marriage to someone with the same name) could I call that a "Sun and Moon Sign"?? :D

Plus, my confirmation name is Francis, who sang a canticle before his death about "brother Sun, Sister Moon" yet another Sun and Moon sign! :p.
1613466054virgo-moon-sign.jpg

Plus, I can't thank George enough for teaching me I am Virgo, because it means "Virgin" , and only a virgin can tame a wild unicorn, but everyone already knows that!

And I'm trying to get my virginity back and restored, so God will like me more (in reference to the virgins in the book of Revelation who follow the lamb withersoever he goes)! :)

Virgo and Scorpio are my two favorite Zodiacs. Scorpio is assigned to my favorite tribe, the tribe of Dan, and my favorite living girl is a Scorpio. Also, spiders are assigned as one of the seven animals assigned to Scorpio. And both Scorpio and Virgo are symbolized by an "M", my favorite letter in the Alphabet!

PureX

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it make sense to start looking for a job? Lots of places are desperate to hire. And it's an excellent step in the early addiction recovery process. There is/was a wonderful recovery house in Chicago that took in folks that were chronically hopeless and homeless alcoholics and very matter-of-factly taught them how to live, sober, right from the most basic, elemental habits, on.

In exchange for a bed they had to go to sleep and get up at specific times. In exchange for breakfast they had to make their bed, get dressed, and show up at mess at the appointed time, and they had to stay and clean up when the meal was over. In exchange for lunch they had to do a little cleaning around the facility, and so on throughout the day. They also attended various kinds of AA meetings throughout the day and evening. And as they achieved the habit of practicing these various behaviors, they were given more to do. And eventually they had to go out and find themselves a job (any job) and start paying some of their earnings to the house for their room and board until they were able to stay employed, and rent an apartment, and begin to live like any normal citizen.

It was an amazingly effective, no bull**** program. Like a boot-camp for living. Wake up. Make the bed. Brush the teeth. Shower. Shave. Get dressed. Eat breakfast. Go to work (or look for work). Be on time. Do what's asked of you with a spirit of gratitude and service (even if it's just washing dishes; no job is insignificant). Save your money. Find ways to live within your means. And so on ... I saw many a long time gutter drunks become happy, healthy, and sometimes even wealthy members of society. And it wasn't magic, and it wasn't luck. It was just basic common sense and guidance, and a willingness to do what it took to change their lives.

Something to consider. Sometimes recovery means putting away the person we used to be, and just putting one foot in front of the other, as directed by those who have done it before us. Step by step, day after day, habit by habit, and benchmark by benchmark. Until one day we realize we are now the person we would have been had we not fallen into the insanity of addiction and we don't ever want to be that person, again.

I am in my 29th year of sobriety, and I wouldn't go back to that life, before, for anything. It was hard to change, and to give up the person I was back then. Mostly because I didn't know how, and I was afraid. But one step at a time, and one day at a time, and the changes do happen. The insanity abates, and finally disappears all together. And then I was just another citizen, again. Amazing!

Sorry, I don't mean to preach. But I'm still in awe of the fact that I could be saved. Because there was a time that I really believed it was not possible. That I was doomed to die drunk and alone and broken in a gutter. Without ever really having lived.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it make sense to start looking for a job? Lots of places are desperate to hire. And it's an excellent step in the early addiction recovery process. There is/was a wonderful recovery house in Chicago that took in folks that were chronically hopeless and homeless and very matter-of-factly taught them how to live, sober, right from the most basic, elemental behaviors.

In exchange for a bed they had to go to sleep and get up at specific times. In exchange for breakfast they had to make their bed, get dressed, and show up at mess at the appointed time, and they had to stay and clean up when the meal was over. In exchange for lunch they had to do a little cleaning around the facility, and so on throughout the day. They also attended various kinds of AA meetings through the day and evening. And as they achieved the habit of practicing these various behaviors, they were given more to do. And eventually they had to go out and find themselves a job (any job) and start paying some of their earnings to house for their room and board until they were eventually able to stay employed, and rent an apartment, and begin to live like any normal citizen.

It was an amazingly effective, no bull**** program. Like a boot-camp for living. Wake up. Make the bed. Brush the teeth. Shower. Shave. Get dressed. Eat breakfast. Go to work (or look for work). Be on time. Do what's asked of you with a spirit of gratitude and service (even if it's just washing dishes; no job is insignificant). Save you money. Find ways to live within your means. And so on ... I saw many a long time gutter drunks become happy, healthy, and sometimes even wealthy member of society. And it wasn't magic, and it wasn't luck. It was just basic common sense and guidance, and a willingness to do what it took to change their lives.

Something to consider.
My ID was stolen, there is an uncertain court situation, and Minnesota this time of year is brutal walking to the place to get an ID and apply for jobs.

I can't afford bus fare.

I've actually been working with some one from my ACT team in preparation for employment.

I had a job last spring as a remodeler, but my phone was stolen with his contact info. I have not a clue how to contact him.

Until I am sentenced with court, and until we have warmer weather, a job isn't first priority.

Sobriety comes first, and I have often used stimulants to keep a job , because they make me concentrate, focus, and work better, more diligently, and like what I'm doing.

Jobs can be a HUGE GREATEST trigger for relapse, especially if there are other users on the job.

Sobriety simply is first priority ATM.

I will have and seek employment soon , no doubt!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Actually,
Super strange but relatively useless coincidence. I started this thread, totally unaware that my roommate was leaving hours later.

His bed is totally stripped and his possessions gone. I think that means he's no longer my roommate!

THANK YOU JESUS! :)

Now, I wonder if he asked to be moved because he doesn't like me. I don't know.

Maybe he discharges from the facility entirely.

He wasn't a bad guy or nothing. I'd just rather not have a roommate, and now apparently don't.

But very strange coincidence.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I currently have a roommate for the next 60 days, and it is not a positive experience.

I don't dislike the guy, but having someone in the same room so often isn't my cup of tea.

Do you have a roommate or had them in the past? I'm doing it because I care so much about my sobriety, that it was worth moving away from my apartment, yet again , for a period of time.

Being broke, not having any assistance financially, in freezing cold Minnesota weather, is just not good.

When it warms up, I spend most of my time at Capitol Hill, Cathedral, Churches, Basilica, AA, on trains, bike riding, traveling, and before my injuries jogging.

In this weather, I'm confined almost. I have junkies showing up to warm up their hands, often offering something not good for my sobriety, in exchange for them and possibly their girlfriend sleeping in my bed. It's not an easy time of year to turn people away.

I have done so multiple times, and made the mistake of letting Jesus Christ (disguised as a homeless person) stay the night (getting things stolen) but it became a temptation enough, that sobriety came first.

I think @JustGeorge would say "Sun and Moon signs make a difference" with how well one's roommate will be compatible. Do you agree?

I actually only know my Moon sign is Virgo (I am Aries like George's son) because @JustGeorge gave me the idea to look up my Moon sign.
View attachment 59675

I actually like the idea of being a Virgo Moon sign , because it is allegedly supposed to be scary, the Moon is associated with death and Divine femininity (same things spiders are associated with) and I named brother Sun after an Old Testament figure represented by the Sun (prior to knowing my surname is alternative for his name) , and I named sister Moon after his wife , represented by the Moon in the OT (prior to proposing marriage to someone with the same name) could I call that a "Sun and Moon Sign"?? :D

Plus, my confirmation name is Francis, who sang a canticle before his death about "brother Sun, Sister Moon" yet another Sun and Moon sign! :p.
View attachment 59676

Plus, I can't thank George enough for teaching me I am Virgo, because it means "Virgin" , and only a virgin can tame a wild unicorn, but everyone already knows that!

And I'm trying to get my virginity back and restored, so God will like me more (in reference to the virgins in the book of Revelation who follow the lamb withersoever he goes)! :)

Virgo and Scorpio are my two favorite Zodiacs. Scorpio is assigned to my favorite tribe, the tribe of Dan, and my favorite living girl is a Scorpio. Also, spiders are assigned as one of the seven animals assigned to Scorpio. And both Scorpio and Virgo are symbolized by an "M", my favorite letter in the Alphabet!

Actually, my son, Ares, is a Scorpio sun with a Taurus moon. Its part of the reason he's so zany, I think; his sun and moon are opposites.

I've had a few roommates over the years. I lived with a Virgo a couple times(same one); we got along sometimes, but sometimes squabbled over little things(who left this where? who's turn is it to do dishes? who ate my sandwich?) but ultimately tried to be as kind to each other as we could.

I had a Leo(with a Libra moon) live off of us for a few years. That was awful. He didn't contribute, wouldn't bathe, was rude, and expected my husband(who was supporting him) to treat him as an 'elder' because they were about 7 years apart(that didn't go over well). Its a long and ugly story, but he had to be asked to leave.

My best roommate experience was actually with a Aries sun Virgo moon(which is why I recognized your combination). She was fairly unstable, had some non-chemical addictions herself, and had trouble staying employed, but she was helpful, cheerful, appreciative. It was before I was married, but I already had my oldest son from a previous relationship. I did not have to ask her "will you watch my kid while I go to work?" She assumed she would be doing so, as I was paying her bills, so what else would she do? We got along well despite being polar opposites, and she genuinely enjoyed my rude sense of humor, and I enjoyed her chatterbox-ness. We ended up marrying brothers(long story). Now we're actually related(and have the same last name, even), but due to a lot of drama between the brothers(long story), we no longer speak and she hates my guts(which is fine with me).

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Actually, my son, Ares, is a Scorpio sun with a Taurus moon. Its part of the reason he's so zany, I think; his sun and moon are opposites.

I've had a few roommates over the years. I lived with a Virgo a couple times(same one); we got along sometimes, but sometimes squabbled over little things(who left this where? who's turn is it to do dishes? who ate my sandwich?) but ultimately tried to be as kind to each other as we could.

I had a Leo(with a Libra moon) live off of us for a few years. That was awful. He didn't contribute, wouldn't bathe, was rude, and expected my husband(who was supporting him) to treat him as an 'elder' because they were about 7 years apart(that didn't go over well). Its a long and ugly story, but he had to be asked to leave.

My best roommate experience was actually with a Aries sun Virgo moon(which is why I recognized your combination). She was fairly unstable, had some non-chemical addictions herself, and had trouble staying employed, but she was helpful, cheerful, appreciative. It was before I was married, but I already had my oldest son from a previous relationship. I did not have to ask her "will you watch my kid while I go to work?" She assumed she would be doing so, as I was paying her bills, so what else would she do? We got along well despite being polar opposites, and she genuinely enjoyed my rude sense of humor, and I enjoyed her chatterbox-ness. We ended up marrying brothers(long story). Now we're actually related(and have the same last name, even), but due to a lot of drama between the brothers(long story), we no longer speak and she hates my guts(which is fine with me).
Sorry, to clarify what I was saying, I was saying "I am Aries, like the God your son is named after".

That was what I meant to say, but my choice of words was misleading.

That is cool he is Scorpio, my favorite sign actually! :)