• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Room with a Loo-View?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Loo with a view: transparent public toilets installed in Tokyo parks

The “transparent” toilets, created by the Pritzker prize-winning architect Shigeru Ban and more than a dozen other leading designers, are made from coloured “smart glass” that turns opaque when the cubicles are occupied.

Phew! One could imagine crowds gathering otherwise :D and not nice if the technology fails whilst wiping one's bum or doing something rather naughty though. :oops:

PureX

Veteran Member
The glass becomes opaque when in use. The idea is that people can see if no one is inside before entering.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The glass becomes opaque when in use. The idea is that people can see if no one is inside before entering.

Not read it? :oops: Must rely on some technology for switching - surely?

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Not read? :oops: Must rely on some technology for switching - surely?
Yes, it's that new glass that electronically changes from being clear to being translucent. In this case, when someone enters. This way, they can avoid having a lock on the inside, which is problematic in a public setting, and yet avoid one person walking in on another.

I happened to see this somewhere else, just yesterday. I don't think it said which mechanism it used to switch the glass. Maybe motion detection, or a door switch. Where I work the bathrooms have a motion detecting light switch.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The “transparent” toilets, created by the Pritzker prize-winning architect Shigeru Ban and more than a dozen other leading designers, are made from coloured “smart glass” that turns opaque when the cubicles are occupied.
Right along with the duct-taped banana that was bought for 100k.

PureX

Veteran Member
The article is 'click bait' because it buries the techno-glass explanation and implies they are just see-through toilets.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The article is 'click bait' because it buries the techno-glass explanation and implies they are just see-through toilets.
I don't care how technologically advanced it is; I wouldn't trust it!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes, it's that new glass that electronically changes from being clear to being translucent. In this case, when someone enters. This way, they can avoid having a lock on the inside, which is problematic in a public setting, and yet avoid one person walking in on another.

I happened to see this somewhere else, just yesterday. I don't think it said which mechanism it used to switch the glass. Maybe motion detection, or a door switch. Where I work the bathrooms have a motion detecting light switch.

Well I'm sure they do have safeguards but it did mention a lock:

Using new technology, the foundation said the cubicles’ glass outer walls turn opaque after the door is locked, allowing prospective users to survey the interior before spending a penny.

I hope it is simple and robust, and not like keyless entry for cars, for example - which we know have been hacked. :oops:

PS And I wouldn't necessarily depend on something like sensing heat, as if someone died whilst on the toilet it might not work - not that the person dead would mind. :oops:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Phew! One could imagine crowds gathering otherwise :D and not nice if the technology fails whilst wiping one's bum or doing something rather naughty though. :oops:

They have been using this glass on buildings for some years, i believe the gherkin was one of the first to use it.

Back in the UK there was a period where i was plagued by phonecalls saying i need to urgently switch to the latest smartglass double glazing.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
They have been using this glass on buildings for some years, i believe the gherkin was one of the first to use it.

Back in the UK there was a period where i was plagued by phonecalls saying i need to urgently switch to the latest smartglass double glazing.

Yes, I did know about the glass before its use as such, and often it just reacts to light levels, but this seems switchable (not new) - and where it might cause some embarrassment if it failed.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, I did know about the glass before its use as such, and often it just reacts to light levels, but this seems switchable (not new) - and where it might cause some embarrassment if it failed.

Many toilets in france are unisex, some don't even have doors, men stand in the square behind a 3ft piece of strategically placed steel to pee. Embarrassment???

But yes, if could be a problem

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Its Japan. They have public baths and their bathrooms definitely work differently than ours.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Aye, the technology will certainly fail at the most inopportune time.
Practical jokers will hack the system immediately.